Wisconsin Street and Track
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Question with GN Air Intake

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Question with GN Air Intake Empty
PostSubject: Question with GN Air Intake   Question with GN Air Intake Icon_minitimeSun Jul 11, 2010 6:34 pm

I want to put a cold air intake on my 87 GN. It currently is stock, minus the flowmasters with a 2 1/2" Cat Back. Which is the best intake to get and from where with the best deal? I will change out the air sensor if I have to, but I prefer not. I was looking at some intakes and it said to specify which air sensor you have. What is the stock air sensor on an '87 GN?

It smells like it's running a little rich as well and it drops down in rmp on the idle, but seldom. I read something about a heated O2 sensor and that could fix the problem.

Can someone please give me some insite on this matter?

Sorry for all the questions. I've only had the car a couple days and it's been 11 years since I owned my last '87 GN.
Back to top Go down
1BADT
Legit
1BADT

PostSubject: Re: Question with GN Air Intake   Question with GN Air Intake Icon_minitimeSun Jul 11, 2010 7:10 pm

I have a "Big mouth" cold air intake for sale for the stock maf if you are interested. As far as the best cold air intake, the TR custom parts(Mark Hueffman) Big mouth intake would be your best bet. I picked up 2 pounds of boost back in the day over the stock canister intake and was able to run 20 pounds of boost on 93 pumpgas alone with no knock. By the looks of your pics, you are running the stock MAF sensor. Any kind of scantool in the car, (scanmaster)? Would like to see the readings to see whats going on as far as the rich condition. Here is a link to the company that makes the intakes. http://www.buickgn.com/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question with GN Air Intake   Question with GN Air Intake Icon_minitimeSun Jul 11, 2010 7:10 pm

What chip is in it? Injectors? MIL light on? The reason I ask is it may have been sold to you as stock but had some un-noticeable upgrades.

Do you have a Scanmaster installed? If not, buy that before anything else. When you add a CAI you will have to drill a hole in the neck of the filter for your air temp sensor as most won't come with a spot for your sensor. Not really a big deal, just don't drill the hole larger than the sensor.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question with GN Air Intake   Question with GN Air Intake Icon_minitimeSun Jul 11, 2010 7:36 pm

The guy I bought the car from was a mechanic for the GM Proving Grounds. He was the one telling me the chip is stock and he thought about changing it out when he got around to installing the intake. I do want to replace the chip and up the horses a bit, but nothing that requires hooking up a computer all the time.

Babysteps for me at the moment.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question with GN Air Intake   Question with GN Air Intake Icon_minitimeSun Jul 11, 2010 9:08 pm

sbrooks75 wrote:
The guy I bought the car from was a mechanic for the GM Proving Grounds. He was the one telling me the chip is stock and he thought about changing it out when he got around to installing the intake. I do want to replace the chip and up the horses a bit, but nothing that requires hooking up a computer all the time.

Babysteps for me at the moment.

A Scanmaster is a must. This can't be stressed enough. It's a computer in a sense of the term "computer", but it's more of a monitoring device. It tells you everything about what's going on in the engine. The most important being knock retard. Too much knock on these engines and you'll be in for more than baby steps in learning about how they operate. You'll be replacing headgaskets, crank bearings, or worse.

It's (Scanmaster) a small pocket sized unit that mounts above the radio on the dash. 3 wire hook-up. Power,ground, & white wire to a port on the diagnostic port.
Go here & read your ass off my friend....... www.turbobuick.com

BTW.... I have a Pete Tomka CAI on my GN. He doesn't offer them on his site, but I think Kirban Performance still sells them or you can call Tomkas shop direct & still get one. This kit & the TR Customs Big-Mouth are considered the best.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question with GN Air Intake   Question with GN Air Intake Icon_minitimeSun Jul 11, 2010 9:41 pm

Take it from me. Between 1Twisted6, Moparkid and 1BadT there is not a question they can't answer on these cars.

And where ever that BTB guy is too. He's all over these GN's. He can help you dial in your dig tune. Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question with GN Air Intake   Question with GN Air Intake Icon_minitimeSun Jul 11, 2010 9:57 pm

I appreciate the info. I have my work cut out for me tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question with GN Air Intake   Question with GN Air Intake Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question with GN Air Intake
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Wisconsin Street and Track :: Automotive Related :: Garage-
Jump to: