Wisconsin Street and Track
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Home theater stuff.

Go down 
+2
ma70tt
noodles
6 posters
AuthorMessage
noodles
Legit

Home theater stuff. Empty
PostSubject: Home theater stuff.   Home theater stuff. Icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 11:47 pm

Wanted to add some sound to the apt..what are some recommendations you guys would suggest? Im hearing the home theater in a box are crap...so i have no clue now. Only thing ive been seeing that is recommended alot by people is the onkyo brand simple for bang for buck. My budget id say atm is like 300..maybe a bit more but nothing extravagant. THanks.
Back to top Go down
ma70tt
Legit
ma70tt

PostSubject: Re: Home theater stuff.   Home theater stuff. Icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 11:58 pm

onkyo is good stuff but $300 isnt gonna get ya much
Back to top Go down
http://www.midwesthybrid.com
noodles
Legit

PostSubject: Re: Home theater stuff.   Home theater stuff. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 12:06 am

yeah...i figured that. Just need something for now just to hold us off. We go to my parents if we want real sound hehe.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Home theater stuff.   Home theater stuff. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 12:14 am

yeah for 300 a lower end Yamaha home theater setup is going to best thing for you.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=5028515&CTID=5000800

I would suggest that for two reasons:

1. It will sound pretty damn good
2. That 1000W receiver will leave you plenty of room to upgrade when the time comes to some Klipsch stuff Very Happy

Oh, DO NOT get Bose shit. its garbage....they don't even make a sub, its a mid range speaker that hits low. Reason I am attacking Bose is because it really gets pushed onto people that don't know anything when they walk into Best Buy.
Back to top Go down
noodles
Legit

PostSubject: Re: Home theater stuff.   Home theater stuff. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 1:22 am

nice thanks man, yeah I don't really like bose for some reason. And I do notice bose gets pushed alot. THanks for tips guys.
Back to top Go down
Tusk
Legit
Tusk

PostSubject: Re: Home theater stuff.   Home theater stuff. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 7:47 am

Are you just talking $300 for a receiver? Yamaha will suit you just fine. I have an older 665 IIRC and it does everything I need it too.
Back to top Go down
fokus83

fokus83

PostSubject: Re: Home theater stuff.   Home theater stuff. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 8:31 am

38394Z28 wrote:
yeah for 300 a lower end Yamaha home theater setup is going to best thing for you.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=5028515&CTID=5000800

I would suggest that for two reasons:

1. It will sound pretty damn good
2. That 1000W receiver will leave you plenty of room to upgrade when the time comes to some Klipsch stuff Very Happy

Oh, DO NOT get Bose shit. its garbage....they don't even make a sub, its a mid range speaker that hits low. Reason I am attacking Bose is because it really gets pushed onto people that don't know anything when they walk into Best Buy.

^ what he said. I don't think Bose is garbage... but I do think it's over priced and over rated though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Home theater stuff.   Home theater stuff. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 9:54 am

I'm no expert but I did a bunch of research when putting together my home theater.

Things to consider:
- Budget
- Noise level (apt or house)
- Home Theater Dimensions/Space
- Sound Quality

If you only have a budget of $300 for a a receiver and speakers, your best bet is to stick with a HTIB. Onkyo, Samsung, and Panasonic seem to be the most popular HITBs. HTIBs generally don't have that great of sound and really lack in the bass department. BOSE's HTIBs are good but way to expensive. For the same $, you can build a much better Home Theater system component by component.

If you live in an apt or share a wall with a neighbor, you probably can't/shouldn't get a kick ass Home Theater system.

The dimension/shape of the room will make a big difference in sound quality. Most HTIBs come with a setup mic that will do a decent job of imaging all the speakers. The bigger the space, the more powerful of a receiver and speakers you need.

If you want great sound, HTIBs are not the way to go. Find a good receiver then get some matching speakers (at least 5.1).
Back to top Go down
Tusk
Legit
Tusk

PostSubject: Re: Home theater stuff.   Home theater stuff. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 10:18 am

^ x2

Also, if you can think a bit long term...... you'll be much better off. The less you spend upgrading, the better off you're going to be.

My last HT I bought bit by bit until it was where I wanted it. Put up with some lesser used stuff here and there while getting good stuff I know I'll want to keep. It's a simple Yamaha / Klipsch. It gets the job done. Not even close to high end, that's what my car got Smile I listen to music in the car... watch movies at home.

Might wanna look at some of the DIY stuff from Parts Express......

Last edited by Tusk on Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
overblown
Legit
overblown

PostSubject: Re: Home theater stuff.   Home theater stuff. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 10:38 am

On that budget it would be pretty easy to put together your own system. The speakers you'll get in a htib are crap despite how fancy they make them look. Don't buy into that hype. You'll be able to find everything you need online and it will probably be a little over 300 but not much and well worth it. I wish I could help you more with some links to good options but I'm on my phone and don't have a lot of time right now. I hope this helps though.
Back to top Go down
noodles
Legit

PostSubject: Re: Home theater stuff.   Home theater stuff. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 10:39 am

nice thanks guys, yeah the budget is $300 for reciever and speakers. The apt is shared with neighbors, so im afraid of neighbors complaining as well. I'll try to piece somethnig together or just get one of the htib.

Have you guys heard anything about the sony ht ct100..it's a single large 3.1 sub/speaker.

And thanks again guys for the help.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Home theater stuff.   Home theater stuff. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 10:47 am

I agree. You can really get some great deals on used equipment.

I strongly believe that 80% of the movie experience is sound. Great sound and sound imaging adds so much to a movie/game.

The audio setup in my Home Theater is pretty basic. I have SVS Sound speakers (5.1) and a mid level Denon receiver. With just those, my HT has better sound, especially sound imagining, than any theater I have recently been too. (hopefully I'm not being to biased)

If you are ever in Janesville, you are more then welcome to come check it out. Best thing to do is bring over your favorite blu-ray or hd-dvd movie and compare the difference first hand.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Home theater stuff.   Home theater stuff. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 8:32 pm

the HTIB that i was referring to is not LG/Panasonic (the ones with the DVD player built in and shit)...those are going to be a waste of money. BUT there are HTIB that will do a great job for an apartment and leave you room for changes if you move out.

reason i am saying this again is because i do NOT want to see you buy one of those DVD 5.1 surround systems that are chrome and shinny.
Back to top Go down
Mclovin23
Legit
Mclovin23

PostSubject: Re: Home theater stuff.   Home theater stuff. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 8:40 pm

i would just get a set of computer speakers with a sub for 75 bucks and call it a day Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Home theater stuff.   Home theater stuff. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Home theater stuff.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Wisconsin Street and Track :: Everything Else :: Recommendations-
Jump to: