Wisconsin Street and Track
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Misfiring as I crank the boost, best way to check plug wires?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
240sxguy
Legit

Misfiring as I crank the boost, best way to check plug wires?  Empty
PostSubject: Misfiring as I crank the boost, best way to check plug wires?    Misfiring as I crank the boost, best way to check plug wires?  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 8:30 pm

Car seems to be blowing out spark above 22 psi of boost. I did a bunch of re-grounding which really helped my charging system...

However, I am now wondering if my cheapo MSD plug wires have chafed through or something. Any good way to check for spark blowing through the side of the wires short of spraying everything with water in the dark? This is pretty frustrating, I have been coil on plug for years and plugwires haven't been an issue til' now.

Thanks guys.
Back to top Go down
kp116
Legit
kp116

PostSubject: Re: Misfiring as I crank the boost, best way to check plug wires?    Misfiring as I crank the boost, best way to check plug wires?  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 8:32 pm

Spraying water would work. Also what kinda of plugs are you using and what are they gapped to?
Back to top Go down
240sxguy
Legit

PostSubject: Re: Misfiring as I crank the boost, best way to check plug wires?    Misfiring as I crank the boost, best way to check plug wires?  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 8:35 pm

I don't recall what the plugs were, but they are new. They are gapped pretty tight (.28 or so) I am using LS1 coils FWIW. The plugs have been in my toolbox since last year, they may be a heat range colder than stock. I can't remember.

I have had this problem since I exceeded 20psi. Certainly no misfiring at 14 psi or so, or at idle. This thing would burn RICH afr's easily about 6 months ago.. like in the 9s.

Back to top Go down
240sxguy
Legit

PostSubject: Re: Misfiring as I crank the boost, best way to check plug wires?    Misfiring as I crank the boost, best way to check plug wires?  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 11:31 pm

Arcing through the boot on cylinder 6... awesome. Found it by spraying water and using a test light around the plug boots.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Misfiring as I crank the boost, best way to check plug wires?    Misfiring as I crank the boost, best way to check plug wires?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Misfiring as I crank the boost, best way to check plug wires?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Wisconsin Street and Track :: Automotive Related :: Garage-
Jump to: