HomePortalRegisterLog in

Share | 

Trans and pricing....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Trans and pricing....   Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:30 pm

Im thinkin of goin to a 5 or 6 spd in my cutlass...i was wondering what kinda hp they can hold up to and maybe some info on pricing...This is just a idea right now so im kinda researching it a bit first.
Back to top Go down
Bod89lx
Legit

PostSubject: Re: Trans and pricing....   Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:21 pm

You should be able to get a nice T-56 set up to handle 1000+ whp for around 5 g's.

Back to top Go down
Blown91LX
Legit

PostSubject: Re: Trans and pricing....   Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:28 pm

you can get one for a normal car for half that. Don is a bit jaded. If it doesnt put a grand to the wheels it isnt worth owning. Lol

Legit

PostSubject: Re: Trans and pricing....   Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:01 am

a bone stock t-56 is all you will need for the engine build you described in your other thread. 6 speed all the way too, i wouldn't even bother with the 5.

PostSubject: Re: Trans and pricing....   Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:36 am

its just a double overdrive. You could find a deal on a tko and have a strong tranny. I beat on mine and it takes it.

PostSubject: Re: Trans and pricing....   Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:59 pm

Well the gear i will be using is a 4 series gear so a 6-spd would be fine.

Donnie...5 g's wtf lol. It would take me 4 yrs to pay that one off. I said budget minded parts lol.

Can i find something like a tko or t-56 on say craidslist or ebay or what??
Back to top Go down
LLcoolJames
Legit

PostSubject: Re: Trans and pricing....   Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:11 pm

yeah you can. For awhile i really wanted to do an LS/T56 swap into a third gen camaro. The t56 with all the pedals and magic cock pony to make it work would have been about 1500 - 2000 going through the for sale forum on ls1tech
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Trans and pricing....   Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:19 pm

6 speed ftw

Last edited by z28_theantirice on Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
overblown
Legit

PostSubject: Re: Trans and pricing....   Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:22 pm

Blown91LX wrote:
its just a double overdrive. You could find a deal on a tko and have a strong tranny. I beat on mine and it takes it.

i wasn't refering to the strength of the tranny. i was talking about how nice it is having the extra overdrive. that way he can still gear it and also have decent highway rpms just cruising. it makes a world of difference.

PostSubject: Re: Trans and pricing....   Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:36 am

overblown wrote:
Blown91LX wrote:

i wasn't refering to the strength of the tranny. i was talking about how nice it is having the extra overdrive. that way he can still gear it and also have decent highway rpms just cruising. it makes a world of difference.

So you think 6 spd is the way to go huh? Well with my current budget its a pipe dream...but i think if i pieced it out. I think it might work...

Would a pedal setup work out of a G-body 4-spd car or would i have to have that specific pedal setup?
Back to top Go down
LLcoolJames
Legit

PostSubject: Re: Trans and pricing....   Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:41 am

Might work. i know the swaps easier if you get everything out of one type of car
Back to top Go down
overblown
Legit

PostSubject: Re: Trans and pricing....   Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:33 am

Gman85DTP wrote:
overblown wrote:
Blown91LX wrote:

So you think 6 spd is the way to go huh? Well with my current budget its a pipe dream...but i think if i pieced it out. I think it might work...

Would a pedal setup work out of a G-body 4-spd car or would i have to have that specific pedal setup?

yeh the 6 is the way to go for sure. i have a feeling it will be cheaper then you think. use an oem 6 out of a 94-97 f body. should be easy to find one cheap. the only pedal you will need is the clutch pedal since it is a hydro clutch. you'll also need the master/slave cylinders from the lt1. one kicker is that there is no place to hook up your mechanical speedo. if you don't mind losing the factory gauge you can buy a electronic speedo or purhaps there is a converter someone makes (new tail housing).

PostSubject: Re: Trans and pricing....   Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:24 am

I think I will have to price it out and see what it will cost...i have a feeling your right too. No im gonna use all Autometer gauges so im sure they make a speedo that will hook up to one. Im making my own gauge cluster outta stainless and puttin my own gauges...gonna use Phantom style.
Back to top Go down
LLcoolJames
Legit

PostSubject: Re: Trans and pricing....   Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:49 pm

there is a converter overblown, thats how the guys that swap them into 3rd gens usually do it
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trans and pricing....   

Back to top Go down

Trans and pricing....
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1