Wisconsin Street and Track
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Shops for an Evo?

Go down 
+3
MikeyT
Administrator
kthxbai
7 posters
AuthorMessage

Shops for an Evo? Empty
PostSubject: Shops for an Evo?   Shops for an Evo? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 9:49 pm

I can't take my car back to Kayser because they'll void my warranty- I talked with the Techs and according to them anything other than a CatBack exhaust is instant warranty voider- sucks as there are a couple recalls too.

So where else do you take cars? It still needs everything apart from an oil change from its 30K service- think cleaning the injectors was the main other thing.

Simon
Back to top Go down
kthxbai
Legit

Shops for an Evo? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shops for an Evo?   Shops for an Evo? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 10:12 am

That can't void your warranty...unless you have an issue with your car that they can clearly show that your new mod is causing it.
Back to top Go down
Administrator

Shops for an Evo? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shops for an Evo?   Shops for an Evo? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 1:24 pm

That's true, all they can do is say that your warranty will not cover the specific job that you need them to do. They cannot flat void the entire warranty on the car. If there are recalls, I believe they have to replace the part or fix the issue regardless of mods. What type of work are you looking to get done, just an oil change and 30k service?
Back to top Go down
http://www.wistreetandtrack.com
MikeyT
Legit
MikeyT

Shops for an Evo? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shops for an Evo?   Shops for an Evo? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 6:25 pm

This might help you. I beleive the letter of the law according to the Magnuson moss act is that dealership can't flat out deny any warrenty unless it can be proven without a doubt the above modification resulted in damage to the warentied part.

Its known as the Magnuson_Moss act.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_Act

Mike
Back to top Go down

Shops for an Evo? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shops for an Evo?   Shops for an Evo? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 7:03 pm

I work for a dealership, and have to deal with a lot of D-max's that come in with Power Ups. GM has a policy where any SEL concern must have a picture of the scan tool with the ECM calibration. If the claibration or CVN numbers are changed, they will not repair the vehicle under warranty. Not so much a complete warranty block, but a refusal of repair under the warranty.

Now, if the customer is understanding, a dealership (I'm not saying one way or the other about mine) may be willing to work with the customer. But, I have one guy who comes in here and has constantly lied to us and every other dealer in the area about never having modded his truck. The numbers don't lie...and the modules, guages, switches, and various performance parts under the hood give it away too. Thorstads was kind enough to put a warranty block on his truck for him

If you're going in for maintenance, you shouldn't have a problem. Whatever you do, don't let the dealer give you a courtesy scan test and wipe out any tune you may have.
Back to top Go down
Disgustang
Legit
Disgustang

Shops for an Evo? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shops for an Evo?   Shops for an Evo? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 7:21 pm

here is anpther fact that not to many know....... if they don't cover someting under warranty because of a mod if it is found that the mod did not cause the failure you can go after that dealer for 3X the cost of the repair. I know this is a fact in wisconsin. working at a chrysler dealer for 12 years and fixing stuff that everyone knew was from someone modding the car (guy came in with a neon that had a fogger nozzle in it and a hole in the trans where the diff pin came out) we put a trans in it under warranty because the boss was scared of the 3X the cost of repair rule.
Back to top Go down

Shops for an Evo? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shops for an Evo?   Shops for an Evo? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 7:17 am

Being a fellow X owner I can tell you that the magnuson-moss act only helps if you can afford the legal fees.
With that being said.. Mitsu WILL put a block on your warranty if they see your mods.. This is mitsu Corp policy. They sent out a memo in Dec saying that any warranty work above x amount of money needs to be approved by the district manager by taking 360 and engine pics of the car... In order to catch modders.. But they can't deny the recall work. They might charge you more and void the warranty in the process.. Mitsu has come down hard on modded cars because if too many blown engines and ruined differentials.. Most of the evo guys usually try to revert back to stock.. But of course YMMV. with Kayser and mitsu Corp

Also which recalls do you need to have done?

Hood latch recall? Fuel Line recall? Airbag sensor recall?

The hood latch and fuel line can be done yourself if you can get the parts. Not sure about the airbag one.

Oh yea here's a link to the memo

EvoXwarrantyMemo
Back to top Go down
kthxbai
Legit

Shops for an Evo? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shops for an Evo?   Shops for an Evo? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 10:26 am

Wow thats fucking gay. Gives me second thoughts about ever buying a Mitsubishi car.
Back to top Go down
Administrator

Shops for an Evo? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shops for an Evo?   Shops for an Evo? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 10:29 am

Mazda's not much different.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wistreetandtrack.com
kthxbai
Legit

Shops for an Evo? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shops for an Evo?   Shops for an Evo? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 10:31 am

I sure hope subaru is not like that! That's what I want to get next.
Back to top Go down

Shops for an Evo? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shops for an Evo?   Shops for an Evo? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 12:38 pm

kthxbai wrote:

thats a bad idea man...unless you have a lot of money to spend on tuning after every part you buy
Back to top Go down
Rac3c4r
Legit
Rac3c4r

Shops for an Evo? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shops for an Evo?   Shops for an Evo? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 12:45 pm

haha so true... subarus are not to mod friendly without constant tuning...
Back to top Go down
saucemaxx
Legit
saucemaxx

Shops for an Evo? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shops for an Evo?   Shops for an Evo? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 1:09 pm

I go to AMS in Chicago, they are expensive, but they know EVO's
Back to top Go down
http://www.vimeo.com/sharpshooter

Shops for an Evo? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shops for an Evo?   Shops for an Evo? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 3:52 pm

kthxbai wrote:

Sorry to burst your bubble but Subaru is the same. According to Don Miller, you aren't allowed to do anything but get a replacement air filter ><
Back to top Go down

Shops for an Evo? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shops for an Evo?   Shops for an Evo? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 6:32 pm

If you just need a 30k service why not just take it to a local well respected auto shop .
or do it yourself if i remember correctly the 30k service isnt much more then inspecting and replacing items like air filters and like you said running some seafoam though the intake
Back to top Go down

Shops for an Evo? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shops for an Evo?   Shops for an Evo? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 12:16 am

Yeah, that is why I don't wanna go to Kayser Smile

The chief tech I spoke to basically said they could ignore a catback, but anything more and it gets marked in the system.

I need all the recall work- main one is the fuel line that I am worried about. I already have pushing 36K on the clock, so I am into the powertrain warranty now anyway.

I can kind of see Mitsu's point. There was a guy on the EvoM forum that modded an MR (flappy paddle gear box one) with an extra 50% HP or something, blew it up, removed his mods and Mitsu replaced the engine. As they say over there, you gotta pay to play.

So, back to the original question, who are the good local shops Smile ?
Back to top Go down
noodles
Legit

Shops for an Evo? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shops for an Evo?   Shops for an Evo? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 12:38 am

edit: nm, this shit was long old!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Shops for an Evo? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shops for an Evo?   Shops for an Evo? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shops for an Evo?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Wisconsin Street and Track :: Everything Else :: Recommendations-
Jump to: