HomePortalRegisterLog in

Share | 

Gat dammit! I think my clutch is toast.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
240sxguy
Legit

PostSubject: Gat dammit! I think my clutch is toast.    Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:15 pm

One thing is for sure; SOMETHING is fucked up.

I have had this ACT 6puck in my car for about 4 years now, most of which it was daily driven. I installed it with a light flywheel (which was a mistake honestly) and I have to rev it to get it rolling so I do a lot of clutch slipping. I think it has been slipping under WOT since I got it tuned.

Well, I went out tonight and tried a launch from a dig on my drag radials. Now it makes a sweet grinding noise as it engages, and stops once it is engaged. Same deal going into the other gears if I let the clutch slip. It sounds like rivets against the PP and flywheel. I have never actually worn a clutch out so I am not too sure.

I think I am going to save up for a twin disc setup, this thing sucks ASS to drive on the street.

Thoughts?

Fucking cars.
Back to top Go down
kp116
Legit

PostSubject: Re: Gat dammit! I think my clutch is toast.    Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:33 pm

4 years on a 6 puck is quite a long time. I replaced mine last year because of the springs were making noise and it didn't have that many miles at all and there wasn't a whole lot of material left....
Back to top Go down
240sxguy
Legit

PostSubject: Re: Gat dammit! I think my clutch is toast.    Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:35 pm

I thought you might say that. I figure I put maybe 25k miles on it and some track abuse. Does the sound I hear sound consistent with a fucked up clutch?

Considering the stage 4 southbend clutch, any thoughts? I found the act sprung 6 pretty shitty for street use honestly and would like something more streetable.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
XSFTLBS
Legit

PostSubject: Re: Gat dammit! I think my clutch is toast.    Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:24 am

How much power are you running? IDK if they make one for your car, but the SPEC stage 3+ holds 489 Ftlbs of torque and is still pretty streetable! it would run right around 489 or so for the kit. They also offer flywheels for it as well.

Legit

PostSubject: Re: Gat dammit! I think my clutch is toast.    Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:28 am

Upon looking at teh web site, they also offer a billet aluminum pressure plate!

http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Nissan/240SX/1994/Single

Legit

PostSubject: Re: Gat dammit! I think my clutch is toast.    Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:04 am

spec will not slip but im not sure that id put another one in a street car....... the 3+ is agressive for sure....... IDK
Back to top Go down
240sxguy
Legit

PostSubject: Re: Gat dammit! I think my clutch is toast.    Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:38 am

I use a 1994 nissan n/a 300zx clutch. The old one is an ACT HDGS-6 which at the time was good to 420ft/lbs. I see that number is higher now. It was a pretty aggressive clutch and not real easy to drive on the street. Half the problem could have been my light flywheel, which I will be removing in favor of a stocker.

Evan
Back to top Go down
Blown91LX
Legit

PostSubject: Re: Gat dammit! I think my clutch is toast.    Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:44 am

I have a McLeod. Works pretty well. Does chatter a bit if you try to take off to easy. At first the pedal pressure was nuts. But a extended clutch fork and a new cable fixed that. Not sure if they have a application for your ride. But its worth a check. Is exedy any good? i know they are big in the import world.

Legit

PostSubject: Re: Gat dammit! I think my clutch is toast.    Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:10 am

Pretty sure the second clutch tye put in his mustang was an exedy. I know he likes it and it feels pretty much stock to me
Back to top Go down
240sxguy
Legit

PostSubject: Re: Gat dammit! I think my clutch is toast.    Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:34 am

I may just park this thing in the garage until next year. Unfortunately this is pretty low on the priority list.

On the good side, there are LOTS of options for clutches now... which wasn't the case 4 years ago!
Back to top Go down
408 4 Eye
Legit

PostSubject: Re: Gat dammit! I think my clutch is toast.    Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:37 am

Had a centerforce dual friction, LOVED it! better then stock feel and held over 600 ft lbs.
Back to top Go down
Disgustang
Legit

PostSubject: Re: Gat dammit! I think my clutch is toast.    Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:56 pm

the other cool thing about centerforce is you can beat the piss out of them if they start slipping let them cool down and they grab great again.
Back to top Go down
kp116
Legit

PostSubject: Re: Gat dammit! I think my clutch is toast.    Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:56 pm

240sxguy wrote:
I thought you might say that. I figure I put maybe 25k miles on it and some track abuse. Does the sound I hear sound consistent with a fucked up clutch?

Considering the stage 4 southbend clutch, any thoughts? I found the act sprung 6 pretty shitty for street use honestly and would like something more streetable.

Thanks.

I highly recommend southbend clutches. A few guys I know are running there disc's and are holding up really well and driveability is awesome!
Back to top Go down
XSFTLBS
Legit

PostSubject: Re: Gat dammit! I think my clutch is toast.    Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:21 pm

408 4 Eye wrote:
Had a centerforce dual friction, LOVED it! better then stock feel and held over 600 ft lbs.

Thats what I have in the thunderbird...... I love it.

Legit

PostSubject: Re: Gat dammit! I think my clutch is toast.    Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:45 pm

I ordered a spec clutch for a friend. They claimed it to be good 599 ft. Lbs. Of torque. He spun the shit out of it on his DRs at way less then the claimed torque capabilities. My experience with Spec sucked. I will never use their stuff again. (lol oh yah they changed the torque ratings on their website for an H22 after this. In my opinion Spec makes garbage ) If the guys at Competition Clutch have a twin disc for you that would be my pick.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bossandsons.com
Blown91LX
Legit

PostSubject: Re: Gat dammit! I think my clutch is toast.    Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:18 pm

brngrhd wrote:
the other cool thing about centerforce is you can beat the piss out of them if they start slipping let them cool down and they grab great again.

Truth. I bought a used centerforce from Dave. I thought it was toast a bunch of times. But always came back to life. Prices are very reasonable as well.

Legit

PostSubject: Re: Gat dammit! I think my clutch is toast.    Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:28 pm

Weird, drove my car for the last few days and it is fine. Clutch still needs replacement but I am unsure if the slipping was due to TQ or age.
Back to top Go down
ma70tt
Legit

PostSubject: Re: Gat dammit! I think my clutch is toast.    Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:04 pm

spec is rebadged chinese garbage stay as far away as possible, & when you get as far away as you think you can get keep going. also i have never seen a centerforce that was worth a shit, ever, from import applications to domestic, their stuff doesnt hold what they say it should & doesnt last.

for that car exedy is the only way to go, either the nm062se or nm063sr which will handle 800+foot lbs, includes chromoly flywheel & billet cover (there is no hyper single available). i can see if theres any in the area an get pricing tomorrow morning if ya want.

if ya wanna save a few bucks clutch net can build something to your liking for a bit less than exedy but its not gonna be as nice.

Back to top Go down
http://www.midwesthybrid.com
overblown
Legit

PostSubject: Re: Gat dammit! I think my clutch is toast.    Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:15 pm

kp116 wrote:
240sxguy wrote:

Thanks.

I highly recommend southbend clutches. A few guys I know are running there disc's and are holding up really well and driveability is awesome!

Many Diesel guys swear by South bend clutches. With the power, torque and weight of those things, I'd say they must know what they are doing.

PostSubject: Re: Gat dammit! I think my clutch is toast.    Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:49 pm

I have already decided I am going to use a southbend clutch. The multiplates are just way out of my price range. Yeah, I could afford it but I can't justify it. I hate being responsible.
Back to top Go down
Ls240sx
Legit

PostSubject: Re: Gat dammit! I think my clutch is toast.    Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:32 pm

throw out bearing
Back to top Go down
http://Davidjlampe.com
240sxguy
Legit

PostSubject: Re: Gat dammit! I think my clutch is toast.    Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:27 am

This is also a very distinct possibility. When it was making noise it did seem very TOB like.
Back to top Go down
Ls240sx
Legit

PostSubject: Re: Gat dammit! I think my clutch is toast.    Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:37 am

i can almost guarantee. if it was the clutch coming apart or the flywheel you would have some serious issues. take that shit apart!
Back to top Go down
http://Davidjlampe.com
240sxguy
Legit

PostSubject: Re: Gat dammit! I think my clutch is toast.    Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:31 pm

Word.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gat dammit! I think my clutch is toast.    

Back to top Go down

Gat dammit! I think my clutch is toast.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1