Wisconsin Street and Track
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Build Thread – The Misadventures of a Cam Swap

Go down 
+2
2jz-U-Ltr
JDMasfck
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Build Thread – The Misadventures of a Cam Swap Empty
PostSubject: Build Thread – The Misadventures of a Cam Swap   Build Thread – The Misadventures of a Cam Swap Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 11:09 am

Build Thread – The Misadventures of a Cam Swap 100_1638

Last summer I wanted to make my TA faster so I added long tubes, an off road Y and a Magnaflow cat back. While I was at it I decided to take off the air pump and egr and put in new sparkplugs. Since I didn’t get it tuned It actually got slower. (I lost to a stock LT1)

Build Thread – The Misadventures of a Cam Swap 20100213_4

So last winter I figured I needed to do a cam, intake and head swap, and then get it tuned. (It was supposed to be very simple) I pulled the engine out taking my time figuring I had plenty of time and still get done by spring. When I was putting it back together I found out that my valves where hitting my pistons, so I needed to fly cut my pistons. Not wanting to get any filings in my drive train I decided to have someone with all the machining tools do it for me. Someone I know used him and had a good experience so I felt good taking it to him. (More on that later)

Build Thread – The Misadventures of a Cam Swap 20100213_3

When the pistons came out he said they needed to be replaced due to and excessive amount of blow by, I found a new set of diamond pistons off LS1tech for a good price and took them out to him. While I was changing the pistons I figured I might as well get forged rods to go with the forged pistons. Since I had most of the parts already it was best to do a full rebuild.
Fast forward 6 months and delaying my tune after being told I would have my engine back in time I get the call saying my engine was done. The problem is the cost was $600.00 more then what was quoted to me. This pissed me off so I just put the car on the back burner for a couple months. After I got done being pissy about it I decided to pick up my engine.

Build Thread – The Misadventures of a Cam Swap 20101004_16

I went out and paid the extra and got my engine, but before I loaded it up I was told that my cam has a micro-fracture in it, before it went it I was called and told it was a scuff and that most of it could be buffed out and it would be fine. At this point I just wanted my engine back so I took it (the port matching on the intake that I asked for didn’t get done either)
Over the next couple weeks I put the engine in the car and lined up my tune, when I get down there I find out that they won’t put it on the dyno because a stock drive shaft is not balanced and wouldn’t handle the speeds the car would hit on the pulls. So I said check everything out so I know it is ready for when I bring it back.

Build Thread – The Misadventures of a Cam Swap 20101004_22

This is when I get told that when the intake was installed that it wasn’t put on correctly and I have a vacume leak coming from my intake and my O2 sensors were bad, I had them swap out the sensors and do most of the computer tuning so I would be able to drive it.

Build Thread – The Misadventures of a Cam Swap 20101004_28

Then this week I took the car in to get an alignment so it is good to go, not even that can go as planned. I was told my passenger side wheel hub needs to be replaced. The hubs are the only thing I didn’t replace over the summer when I had the K member out of the car.

Build Thread – The Misadventures of a Cam Swap 20101004_32

This week I picked up a new intake to put on and that leaves a cam swap for winter

Build Thread – The Misadventures of a Cam Swap IMG_0499

To be continued………………..

Build Thread – The Misadventures of a Cam Swap 6251_1099116244250_1416977458_30262

Back to top Go down
JDMasfck
Legit
JDMasfck

PostSubject: Re: Build Thread – The Misadventures of a Cam Swap   Build Thread – The Misadventures of a Cam Swap Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 11:16 am

I hate when shit never goes right. Keep with it!!

and thats come crazy jacking up!! looks like it's about to launch in to space. lol
Back to top Go down
2jz-U-Ltr
Admin
2jz-U-Ltr

PostSubject: Re: Build Thread – The Misadventures of a Cam Swap   Build Thread – The Misadventures of a Cam Swap Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 11:18 am

Man this is such a typical "jerk you around" type of thing that always seems to happen to people. Cars are the worst and best hobby ever.
Back to top Go down
JDMasfck
Legit
JDMasfck

PostSubject: Re: Build Thread – The Misadventures of a Cam Swap   Build Thread – The Misadventures of a Cam Swap Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 11:21 am

Peter MS3 wrote:
Man this is such a typical "jerk you around" type of thing that always seems to happen to people. Cars are the worst and best hobby ever.
Back to top Go down
LLcoolJames
Legit
LLcoolJames

PostSubject: Re: Build Thread – The Misadventures of a Cam Swap   Build Thread – The Misadventures of a Cam Swap Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 12:24 pm

I like the new intake Smile
Back to top Go down
408 4 Eye
Legit
408 4 Eye

PostSubject: Re: Build Thread – The Misadventures of a Cam Swap   Build Thread – The Misadventures of a Cam Swap Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 2:01 pm

JDMasfck wrote:
thats come crazy jacking up!! looks like it's about to launch in to space. lol
No its just an F Body! they do wheelies without engines, thats how fast they are!
Back to top Go down
Fuckin Schiller!!
Legit
Fuckin Schiller!!

PostSubject: Re: Build Thread – The Misadventures of a Cam Swap   Build Thread – The Misadventures of a Cam Swap Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 2:20 pm

so you pretty much never got to drive your car at all this year? that sucks.
Back to top Go down
bigbird94
Legit
bigbird94

PostSubject: Re: Build Thread – The Misadventures of a Cam Swap   Build Thread – The Misadventures of a Cam Swap Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 2:27 pm

Sorry to hear about your problems, thats cars though

Are you sure that a STOCK LT1 beat you after long tubes and catback? Unless you had traction issues I just cant see that happening.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Build Thread – The Misadventures of a Cam Swap   Build Thread – The Misadventures of a Cam Swap Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 2:57 pm

bigbird94 wrote:

Are you sure that a STOCK LT1 beat you after long tubes and catback? Unless you had traction issues I just cant see that happening.
Oh it did, it did.

But hey now you have the NAWZ so those pesky LTWON's will not be beating up on you anymore.
Back to top Go down
bigbird94
Legit
bigbird94

PostSubject: Re: Build Thread – The Misadventures of a Cam Swap   Build Thread – The Misadventures of a Cam Swap Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 3:01 pm

...unless they sneeze some nawz themselves Razz

was this is a dig race?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Build Thread – The Misadventures of a Cam Swap   Build Thread – The Misadventures of a Cam Swap Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 6:09 pm

yeah it was a dig, i didnt have a problem with traction, the car was falling on its face coming out of the hole stumbling until it hit higher rpms. it was a 14 sec pos at the time
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Build Thread – The Misadventures of a Cam Swap   Build Thread – The Misadventures of a Cam Swap Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 6:12 pm

mtperformance wrote:
bigbird94 wrote:

Oh it did, it did.

But hey now you have the NAWZ so those pesky LTWON's will not be beating up on you anymore.

the nitrous is for those pesky turbo guys, the motor is enough for a LT1
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Build Thread – The Misadventures of a Cam Swap   Build Thread – The Misadventures of a Cam Swap Icon_minitimeSat Oct 30, 2010 3:01 pm

I gained power when I added LT's to my 02 T/A and that was untuned. Must have screwed something up.
Back to top Go down
bigbird94
Legit
bigbird94

PostSubject: Re: Build Thread – The Misadventures of a Cam Swap   Build Thread – The Misadventures of a Cam Swap Icon_minitimeSat Oct 30, 2010 8:30 pm

GTSLOW wrote:
I gained power when I added LT's to my 02 T/A and that was untuned. Must have screwed something up.
good chance
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Build Thread – The Misadventures of a Cam Swap   Build Thread – The Misadventures of a Cam Swap Icon_minitimeSun Oct 31, 2010 3:44 am

it has more to do with removing the rear O2 sensors, air pump and EGR. the computer didnt have the right fuel ratio. low RPMs had no power but once you got going and built RPMs then it had more power
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Build Thread – The Misadventures of a Cam Swap   Build Thread – The Misadventures of a Cam Swap Icon_minitimeMon Nov 01, 2010 7:59 pm

twistedpower wrote:
mtperformance wrote:
bigbird94 wrote:

Oh it did, it did.

the nitrous is for those pesky turbo guys, the motor is enough for a LT1
I will give you a chance to back that statement up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Build Thread – The Misadventures of a Cam Swap   Build Thread – The Misadventures of a Cam Swap Icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2010 9:22 am

no problem
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Build Thread – The Misadventures of a Cam Swap   Build Thread – The Misadventures of a Cam Swap Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Build Thread – The Misadventures of a Cam Swap
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Wisconsin Street and Track :: Automotive Related :: Build Threads-
Jump to: