Wisconsin Street and Track
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Need advice

Go down 
+3
ma70tt
240sxguy
Overboosting
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Overboosting
Admin
Overboosting

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 6:44 pm

Ok so ive come across a sweet deal on the engine I want, heres the story a guy bought it intending to put in in an old 2.5 rs it sat around and never got used and now he wants to get rid of it, heres the problem its been sitting in his garage for a year, he lives in northern cali and he claims the the exhaust ports were blocked off, the throttle body was closed and there was no way any condensation to get inside the engine. Hes going to send me a video of a leakdown test and im going to ask him to do a compression test also. Im just worried about the cylinder walls being rusty for sitting for that long of time, have any of you guys had experience with having an engine sit around for a long period of time and then pulled the heads off and saw what it looked like?

heres a pic of it:
Need advice TueFeb23150345PST2010

Last edited by Overboosting on Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
240sxguy
Legit

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 6:56 pm

I can almost promise you my RB25DET sat in a salvage yard in jp and in a shipping yard for 6mo-year and it was very clean when I got it.

If you want a good idea of whats inside, ask him to pull a valve cover and take a picture of the cams. If the lobes are rusty that's bad news.

I should have my 240 going this week, plan on me paying you for the sensors and returning the ecu next week. Thanks.

Evan
Back to top Go down
Overboosting
Admin
Overboosting

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 7:06 pm

hey thats good advice, could I tell without having him take off a cam cap or is that the spot thats going to show if theres any corrosion.
Back to top Go down
240sxguy
Legit

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 7:53 pm

The lobes themselves will tell the tale, no need to remove caps. If he can take photos that would be good. Also take pictures of the intake ports with the tape removed.

I went to look at an EJ in chicago and when I pulled the valvecovers I saw rusty cams and milky oil. I guess when the guy told me it was from a flood car it was 100% under water.

A little bit of corrosion on the cams wouldn't shock me. Rust on the other hand...

Short of having him tear down the motor that is all he can do besides a leakdown test. Even that won't likely tell you if the bores are rusty.

Evan
Back to top Go down
ma70tt
Legit
ma70tt

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 12:50 pm

gotta watch out for cylinder bore rust if its been sitting anywhere near salty coastal water or outside in the elements. i have had a number of engines over the years show up all pretty & dolled up with greasyness only to not be able to turn them over w./a three foot breaker bar. last one was an sr20det saucemax ordered up, locked tighter than fuck. so be careful.
Back to top Go down
http://www.midwesthybrid.com
t0nyb0l0gna91
Legit

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 1:15 pm

i hope nothing is wrong with it so you can get that beast running
Back to top Go down
MikeyT
Legit
MikeyT

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 1:44 pm

My main concern would be condensation, if he was able to keep it dry and used a little bit of oil to keep things from binding it would be fine. My short block was built about 9 months before I put it in the Coronet and it has been good so far.

Mike

Last edited by MikeyT on Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Administrator

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 2:28 pm

I ordered a JDM engine for my supra and it has run fine. I say roll the dice and go for it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wistreetandtrack.com
Overboosting
Admin
Overboosting

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 2:55 pm

yea I was just thinking about that peter, just think how long some of those old supra engines have been sitting around. either way no matter where I buy it from im going to take a risk with it, when he follows through and shows me the leakdown and what the cams look like ill have a pretty good idea of the condition of the engine. And I talked to my credit union and said I can add the rest of the money I need onto my car loan whoooop whooop.
Back to top Go down
spyderToph

spyderToph

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 3:30 pm

Party time!
Back to top Go down

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 4:11 pm

I think you will be fine. If he is going to those lengths to prove it is a good engine it likely is.

My collector cars sit from November until April and always are fine. Even in this cold and damp climate we have at times. The Edsel's engine sat in the Barn from April 5th 1970 (yes, I know the exact date it was stored) until we fired it up in September of 2005 and it just smoked a tad. We popped the covers off and had zero rust. Pulled the pan and one main bearing and said "screw it" lets see how good a engine builder our Uncle was and gave it a dupont overall. 2000 miles later we finally burnt a valve because we likely didn't add enough lead additive to the fuel. With the heads off the cylinders look fantastic even after all these years.

If they are keep in dry storage, lubed up before storage, they will last a loooooooong time without being turned over.
Back to top Go down
Overboosting
Admin
Overboosting

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 1:17 pm

pics of the cams...

Need advice IMG_8681
Back to top Go down
spyderToph

spyderToph

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 2:13 pm

Looks real good. No rust, no varnish, lobes arn't showing any signs of wear. How did the leak down test go? I think you found your engine.
Back to top Go down
ma70tt
Legit
ma70tt

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 2:22 pm

real nice lookin' in there, whats the report?
Back to top Go down
http://www.midwesthybrid.com
Administrator

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 3:19 pm

Yeah man if I were you, I would be pretty damn happy with that.
Back to top Go down
Overboosting
Admin
Overboosting

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 3:45 pm

each one of the cylinders had 5% leakage which is pretty much perfect, he sent me pics of each cylinder but im sure you get the point.

Need advice FriFeb26224419PST2010
Back to top Go down
Administrator

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 4:29 pm

Well quit showing off on the internet and fucking buy it creepstache!!
Back to top Go down
Overboosting
Admin
Overboosting

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 4:31 pm

haha sorry peter IM VERY EXCITE! lol.
Back to top Go down
Administrator

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 4:35 pm

lol yeah dude I would be too..in fact I actually am excited...the question now is how fast can he get it here?
Back to top Go down
spyderToph

spyderToph

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 4:53 pm

Your car is gonna be bad ass.
Back to top Go down
t0nyb0l0gna91
Legit

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 5:13 pm

thats nice guy! get that shit here
Back to top Go down
MikeyT
Legit
MikeyT

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 7:11 pm

lilwillie wrote:
The Edsel's engine sat in the Barn from April 5th 1970 (yes, I know the exact date it was stored) until we fired it up in September of 2005 and it just smoked a tad. We popped the covers off and had zero rust. Pulled the pan and one main bearing and said "screw it" lets see how good a engine builder our Uncle was and gave it a dupont overall. 2000 miles later we finally burnt a valve because we likely didn't add enough lead additive to the fuel. With the heads off the cylinders look fantastic even after all these years.

Now, that might be one of the most impressive things I've read in a long time.
Mike
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need advice
Page 1 of 1