Wisconsin Street and Track
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

cleaned the intercooler

Go down 
+6
Disgustang
GGevoX
240sxguy
Fuckin Schiller!!
Tusk
Thunderballs
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Thunderballs
Legit

cleaned the intercooler Empty
PostSubject: cleaned the intercooler   cleaned the intercooler Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 1:42 am

So I decided to clean the intercooler / heat exchange on the lightning today.

They have a less than stellar pcv system on them that causes some oil suction issues under boost. Anyway after what I can only assume as 70k miles of oil and other crap, this is what I found...

cleaned the intercooler IMAG0164

Icky...

Anyways I'm now running a catch can set up so it stays clean.

Then upon inspection of the s/c I found someone tried to do some half assed cluster fuck job of a port job...

When you send it to whoever to get it ported they essentially make a smaller hole below the big one. Well some twat waffle decided that he was going to do the same. Except he just used a drill and drilled 3 separate 5/8" holes. That's right, three separate holes... So I had to try and fix that, got it pretty close to what it should be. Didn't get a pic of that, but it was quite special.
Back to top Go down
Tusk
Legit
Tusk

PostSubject: Re: cleaned the intercooler   cleaned the intercooler Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 1:53 am

Glad you could fix the port job.

I used to scoff at catch cans until I got one last year. They do work.
Back to top Go down
Fuckin Schiller!!
Legit
Fuckin Schiller!!

PostSubject: Re: cleaned the intercooler   cleaned the intercooler Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 2:08 am

Twat waffle. Lolol
Back to top Go down
240sxguy
Legit

PostSubject: Re: cleaned the intercooler   cleaned the intercooler Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 10:27 am

Wow, that's ugly!
Back to top Go down
GGevoX
Legit

PostSubject: Re: cleaned the intercooler   cleaned the intercooler Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 12:15 pm

Thats pretty bad. At least it's not like the ss/sc cobalt crowd. When I had mine they used to self dremel the Eaton out. Some even JB weld the holes up to make it louder. It was always a hoot to watch someone pick up a used one and discover what a 16 year old did to it. Notice any temp difference yet?
Back to top Go down
Thunderballs
Legit

PostSubject: Re: cleaned the intercooler   cleaned the intercooler Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 12:34 pm

I haven't logged yet. But I'm thinking it will be quite large.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: cleaned the intercooler   cleaned the intercooler Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 12:36 pm

I cleaned my intercooler yesterday also. Just a fun fact!!
Back to top Go down
Disgustang
Legit
Disgustang

PostSubject: Re: cleaned the intercooler   cleaned the intercooler Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 12:58 pm

Race cars with your intercoolers.........
Back to top Go down
Mclovin23
Legit
Mclovin23

PostSubject: Re: cleaned the intercooler   cleaned the intercooler Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 1:16 pm

GGevoX wrote:
Thats pretty bad. At least it's not like the ss/sc cobalt crowd. When I had mine they used to self dremel the Eaton out. Some even JB weld the holes up to make it louder. It was always a hoot to watch someone pick up a used one and discover what a 16 year old did to it. Notice any temp difference yet?

well i can honestly say i would have never done that to mine. lol
Back to top Go down
HoosierDaddy
Legit

PostSubject: Re: cleaned the intercooler   cleaned the intercooler Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 3:36 pm

I can't find my intercooler
Back to top Go down
Tusk
Legit
Tusk

PostSubject: Re: cleaned the intercooler   cleaned the intercooler Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 4:57 pm

brngrhd wrote:

That shit is too fancy.
Back to top Go down
kp116
Legit
kp116

PostSubject: Re: cleaned the intercooler   cleaned the intercooler Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 10:45 pm

brngrhd wrote:

Race cars usually don't run a intercooler. Smile
Back to top Go down
Mr Peepers
Legit
Mr Peepers

PostSubject: Re: cleaned the intercooler   cleaned the intercooler Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 11:13 pm

Truth^ Methanol
Back to top Go down
Thunderballs
Legit

PostSubject: Re: cleaned the intercooler   cleaned the intercooler Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 11:36 pm

Truth. Plus this is in a 4600 lb truck. So its nothing to worry about.
Back to top Go down
HoosierDaddy
Legit

PostSubject: Re: cleaned the intercooler   cleaned the intercooler Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 11:51 pm

I have a big fat work truck turd too
Back to top Go down
Disgustang
Legit
Disgustang

PostSubject: Re: cleaned the intercooler   cleaned the intercooler Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 9:14 am

Air to water? Thought that's what all the big boys run.
Back to top Go down
HoosierDaddy
Legit

PostSubject: Re: cleaned the intercooler   cleaned the intercooler Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 9:17 am

brngrhd wrote:
Air to water? Thought that's what all the big boys run.

It looks like it , looks just like the rousch supercharger I put on once.
Back to top Go down
Disgustang
Legit
Disgustang

PostSubject: Re: cleaned the intercooler   cleaned the intercooler Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 9:22 am

I know that one is but i was asking more about the really big boys. Don't they run air to water with the tank in the back filled with ice water?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: cleaned the intercooler   cleaned the intercooler Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 9:42 am

brngrhd wrote:
I know that one is but i was asking more about the really big boys. Don't they run air to water with the tank in the back filled with ice water?

Yep.

Water intercoolers are pretty much just for drag racing. Most are fairly small capacity, meant just for a short blast.
Very efficient, but only for a short duration.

The stock ones used in the Fords are a joke. To say they are inefficient is an understatement. Better have a trunk full of icebags to keep adding to the reservior.

Back to top Go down
Thunderballs
Legit

PostSubject: Re: cleaned the intercooler   cleaned the intercooler Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 9:52 am

Really? Not trying to argue here but they really aren't that bad.

Upgrade the tank and you aren't sitting too bad.

The real problem with the stock system is the stock heaton s/c.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: cleaned the intercooler   cleaned the intercooler Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 10:21 am

Bigger tank capacity helps them out? Fair enough.

I'm basing my statement on two different Cobra Mustangs that I know of that the harder you ran 'em, the slower they went due to heat soak from the poor factory setup.
Back to top Go down
Thunderballs
Legit

PostSubject: Re: cleaned the intercooler   cleaned the intercooler Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 11:38 am

Yea that can still happen. Most of it is from the factory s/c. Outlet temps on the eaton can be huge.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: cleaned the intercooler   cleaned the intercooler Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

cleaned the intercooler
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Wisconsin Street and Track :: Everything Else :: Lounge-
Jump to: