Wisconsin Street and Track
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bad Holley....Bad

Go down 
+3
Overboosting
t0nyb0l0gna91
MikeyT
7 posters
AuthorMessage
MikeyT
Legit
MikeyT

Bad Holley....Bad Empty
PostSubject: Bad Holley....Bad   Bad Holley....Bad Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 1:36 am

Well with a little work and a lot of luck, I figured out part of my issue with my 770 Holley street avenger this past week.

Too catch people up to speed I've never been able to tune this fucking carb right. It has constantly wanted to run rich, and if I even leaned it out a bit I would often be left with a nasty vaccum leak or would run like shit.

Anyway, I've looked it over, fixed vaccum leaks, adjusted the floats, changed jets and the whole 9 yards, yet it had me befuddled. My plan was to get the guages set up and bring it into Midwest for a dyno run.

Well last week while my buddy Terry was helping me put gauges in I spent some time looking at the carb. By accident under closer inspection right under my throttle linkage I had a nice puddle of gas that had discolored the manifold and was slightly wet. We both looked at it and thought it was odd, my fuel line is on the other side of the carb and their was no way it was leaking from the base, so I remained befuddled. So I figured I'm probably crazy and would just change out the gasket and stuff later on. Yet Terry suspected it might be the throttle shaft.

So anyway later on in the night I went down to look at it a bit and see where the leak was on the carb. Well I went back to looking at the linkage and the base. The base gasket was great plyable, not burnt looking, it came off easily, their was no way it was the base gasket! So I thought Terry might be on to something, so I went back to looking at the linkage a bit. While working the butterfly on the carb, I noticed it was a tad tight, almost like it was binding. Well I sprayed a little Wd 40 on it and continued to work it. Well, I did that about three times and on the third time the linkage stuck at WOT ! Shocked Shocked Well I thought humm, this is bad and it is probably good that the car isn't running now, well I slowly worked the linkage a bit and it finally did release, but something tells me that this is not the best for travel. Anyway to make a long story short it looks like the throttle shaft might be warped a bit. (This explains the leak, and vaccum leak, as well as binding linkage!) Which is sad because this is a new carb less then 2 years old and was supose to be the next best Holley. Well thats kind of a joke right now! Yet seriously, I've never seen this on a Holley before and I've owned quite a few in my day to say I'm a little verklempted is an understatement. For now I'm going back to the trusty 750 Holley 3310 series I have. I sent a pm to Holley about what my finding and to see what they have to say and to see what they plan to offer since the carb is warrentied.

anyway not much fun. Sad
Mike
Back to top Go down
t0nyb0l0gna91
Legit

Bad Holley....Bad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad Holley....Bad   Bad Holley....Bad Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 1:40 am

tough luck man hope everything works out for the better Smile
Back to top Go down
Overboosting
Admin
Overboosting

Bad Holley....Bad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad Holley....Bad   Bad Holley....Bad Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 1:41 am

good detective work mikeyT, you still plan on getting it dyno'd at nates shop?
Back to top Go down
roguestatus
Legit
roguestatus

Bad Holley....Bad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad Holley....Bad   Bad Holley....Bad Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 1:45 am

what is carburetor thingy you speak of? lol Wink

good luck with fixing that problem and gettin the Cor running right Smile
Back to top Go down
MikeyT
Legit
MikeyT

Bad Holley....Bad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad Holley....Bad   Bad Holley....Bad Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 1:49 am

Well it happens, better while the car sits in the garage instead of out on the road.
Logan, yes, I will dyno it sometime here, but I got to get this thing from Holley figrued out first.
This car is like a pissed off Diva it takes a village to keep it up and running, I did some of the grunt work, but it was Terry who was savy enough to think about throttle shaft.
Mike
Back to top Go down
ma70tt
Legit
ma70tt

Bad Holley....Bad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad Holley....Bad   Bad Holley....Bad Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 2:03 am

get that fucker fixed already! ; )
Back to top Go down
http://www.midwesthybrid.com

Bad Holley....Bad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad Holley....Bad   Bad Holley....Bad Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 9:04 am

Good work, Mikey. I've had only one Holley carb, and I wasn't impressed with it.

BTW, how come you don't have a Thermoquad on the Coronet anyway Wink
Back to top Go down
MikeyT
Legit
MikeyT

Bad Holley....Bad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad Holley....Bad   Bad Holley....Bad Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 6:31 pm

Zac

You know my father swore by them, but I've never found a good core thermoquad to rebuild, this thing came with a edelbrock originally, which was so so. I grew up with Holley's because they were around!

Mike
Back to top Go down
Tusk
Legit
Tusk

Bad Holley....Bad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad Holley....Bad   Bad Holley....Bad Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 8:29 pm

Only carbs I touched lightly back when were Edelbrock. Screw with a Holly for a we bit but eh, thank god for electronic fuel injection Wink
Back to top Go down
Disgustang
Legit
Disgustang

Bad Holley....Bad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad Holley....Bad   Bad Holley....Bad Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 8:30 pm

what intake you got on that thing mike? Just throw one of these on there and your all set. no tuning needed so to speak. http://fuelairspark.com/ezefi/default.asp

if you want to stay with the carb let me know and i'll do what i can to help.
Back to top Go down
MikeyT
Legit
MikeyT

Bad Holley....Bad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad Holley....Bad   Bad Holley....Bad Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 9:15 pm

Steve, thanks for the offer. I'm not sure if I'm ready to go the efi route, but it sure is tempting!

Mike
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bad Holley....Bad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad Holley....Bad   Bad Holley....Bad Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bad Holley....Bad
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Wisconsin Street and Track :: Automotive Related :: Garage-
Jump to: