Wisconsin Street and Track
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Need some help with the Bird

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
XSFTLBS
Legit
XSFTLBS

Need some help with the Bird Empty
PostSubject: Need some help with the Bird   Need some help with the Bird Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 10:05 pm

Hey All,

I've been thinking about this all day long. I really need to do something about the rust that's reared its ugly head on the Bird. The areas of concern are:

Rear part of Rockers: Light surface rust, no holes
Both Rear Wheel Wells: Drivers side one is still solid, but pretty rusted; Passengers side is starting to show a bit of bubbling
Rear trim area, Drivers side: Bubbled paint right above the factory belt-line trim
Bottoms of both doors: Surface rust, no holes showing
Under the drivers side mirror: bubbled paint 1/4 inch wide by about 3 long, paint bubbled and broke. Not hole
Drivers side key hole area: Bubbled paint under the keyhole, no holes

These areas are really bothering me, since it would be a royal bitch to get the car to look right with these spots sticking out. I just want them fixed, and it doesn't have to be perfect by any means. I know that if I don't do something this year, I'm going to have major problems by the end of the year, if not sooner. The car won't see salt again.... but I'd like to have it fixed and looking reasonably nice by summertime.

There is only once catch: I only have about 200-250 bucks to spend on this, and I don't know the first ting about body work. I repaired a small bubbled spot last year near the trunk lid..... but it started to come through again. I should have sand blasted the pits and epoxied over it before the primer and top coat. The good thing is that this is a single stage paint, so no clearcoat to worry about.

Do any of you know ANYBODY that might be willing to help me out with this? i just don't want this car to rust the hell out on me. My last Bird was driven in the winter, and I had HUGE holes all over it......and I had to scrap the car because of it. Any asisstance would help a LOT.
Back to top Go down
LLcoolJames
Legit
LLcoolJames

Need some help with the Bird Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need some help with the Bird   Need some help with the Bird Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 10:27 pm

if your looking for cheap....
1.take a scotchpad on a die grinder to all of the rust spots and get them down to the bare metal.
2. put a real thin coat of bondo on there. You shouldnt need much if theres no holes, and then sand it smooth.
3. Rattlecan primer and paint. Your cars black(?) so it shouldnt be too hard to color match the paint.

Of course this wont get you show quality results, but it should put a stop to the rust. Before you put the bondo coat on you could aslo spray on some rust nuetralizer as an added saftey. I used to do this to my moms old minivan and it looked decent from fifteen feet or so...
Back to top Go down

Need some help with the Bird
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Wisconsin Street and Track :: Automotive Related :: Garage-
Jump to: