Wisconsin Street and Track
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Honest opinions needed

Go down 
+4
Rac3c4r
Fuckin Schiller!!
GGevoX
Tusk
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Tusk
Legit
Tusk

Honest opinions needed  Empty
PostSubject: Honest opinions needed    Honest opinions needed  Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 4:56 pm

If I have any ambition after this weekend of buffing and polishing (Just got a little box from Adams Smile ) I'm going to be redoing my install in the trunk of my GTO at the end of June, maybe sooner if time allows. I'm looking for a bit of a change in aesthetics and nothing more. I'm totally happy with my equipment and where it's at with sound. Personally I like streamlined, stealth, minimalist installs. Clean subtle installs win me over more than a uber flash and show. I know most on this forum don't dive into this world, but gimmie your thoughts.

This is where things are right now.
Honest opinions needed  DSC02268
Honest opinions needed  DSC02266
Honest opinions needed  DSC02267

The subs are getting flipped so I can have a flat trunk and a bit more streamlined. Subs can be exposed for show, but will have a finished grill plate to cover them. This is set in stone. The amps are what I'm not sure about.

1. Leave them the way they are.
2. Redo the trim ring to incorporate a removable finished cover like the subs will have.... semi stealth but still be able to be exposed for show.
3. There are two nice big areas behind the rear interior panels these honkers will fit behind. Trunk will look just like any old GTO trunk. Won't see shit, but it will get loud as shit.
4. Open to suggestion.
Back to top Go down
Tusk
Legit
Tusk

PostSubject: Re: Honest opinions needed    Honest opinions needed  Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 5:58 pm

Ok.... if you look at this thread you must pic a number 1-3 Wink
Back to top Go down
GGevoX
Legit

PostSubject: Re: Honest opinions needed    Honest opinions needed  Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 6:03 pm

Your current instal is nice. Deff more of a show look then anything. Looks like a wanging setup. What is your current specs?

I'm with you about being more simple/clean. GTO trunks are cluttered enough so the amps would need to go for sure. I'm trying to come up with a plan but it seems you already have a good idea. Sink the subs and clear out the amps and youl be set I think.
Back to top Go down
Fuckin Schiller!!
Legit
Fuckin Schiller!!

PostSubject: Re: Honest opinions needed    Honest opinions needed  Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 6:05 pm

1, I think it looks perfect the way it is
Back to top Go down
Rac3c4r
Legit
Rac3c4r

PostSubject: Re: Honest opinions needed    Honest opinions needed  Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 6:28 pm

I was going with 2 Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tusk
Legit
Tusk

PostSubject: Re: Honest opinions needed    Honest opinions needed  Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 6:52 pm

I really wouldn't gain any trunk back by hiding them, they are 4" thick, so that is all I'd gain...... stupid flippin' gas tank. I would loose the ability to take them out easily though. Not like I really do anyways, but 4 nuts and 65-70lbs of crap is free.

Might be too much but here is the whole shebang...... lists don't mean squat Wink
Also, to those in the semi know, all my 'Quart stuff is from the pre Maxxsonics era.
Alpine IVA W505 Double DIN
Alpine NVE-P1 NAV w/ P102 firmware update
Alpine PXA-H100 Audyssey Imprint DSP (Tuned manually, not using Audyssey. Looking for Alpine 701 that might have fallen off of a truck.)
PAC SWI-Jack (Looking to maybe get and Axxess. GTO controls don't work half of the time, might be a resolution.)
MB Quart QSD 216 Signature 6.5" components (#032 of 1000 - Hand made and matched sets)
MB Quart PWE 254 10" subs x2
MB Quart QAA 4250 4x250 (Actively to component set)
MB Quart QAA 1000 1x1000 (Subs)
Stinger Expert Road Kill sound deadening here and there
Stinger Bullet RCAs (All ends rewired and resoldered)
Stinger HPM 12GA speaker wiring
Stinger Pro 0GA power cables (Two runs from battery - power and ground. Big three under the hood)
Stinger HPM ANL fuse holder (200A)
Stinger HPM power and battery terminals
Some other shit
New mini aluminum bat that needs a good breaking in for snoopers. Remember I work in surgery and know where to hit a bitch Cool

That is where my fun money went. Sure, I could be faster, weigh a shit load less, but it wouldn't sound as good. She can still get out of her way though.
Back to top Go down
Tusk
Legit
Tusk

PostSubject: Re: Honest opinions needed    Honest opinions needed  Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 6:54 pm

WS_SICK wrote:
I was going with 2 Very Happy
You know you're not suppose to make it a tie Wink
Back to top Go down
Blown91LX
Legit
Blown91LX

PostSubject: Re: Honest opinions needed    Honest opinions needed  Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 12:42 am

Back to top Go down
Mclovin23
Legit
Mclovin23

PostSubject: Re: Honest opinions needed    Honest opinions needed  Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 4:58 pm

i say leave the amps. they look flush and clean as is, and flip the subs to do the same.
Back to top Go down
240sxguy
Legit

PostSubject: Re: Honest opinions needed    Honest opinions needed  Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 6:59 pm

Flip the woofers, recess them into the floor so you can have a flush metal grill over them for real protection. Don't bury the amps, if you are like me and something happens to them and you buried them odds are you will be really pissed you have to take everything back apart.

Maybe do something a bit different where you have the amps mounted. It's kinda plain but looks good. Have you considered having someone spray the amps to match your car? It looks like the lids may be pretty easy to remove. You need a bit of color back there without looking ricey IMO.

Pre-maxxonics quart stuff is really nice. For that matter, all your gear is nice.
Back to top Go down
Tusk
Legit
Tusk

PostSubject: Re: Honest opinions needed    Honest opinions needed  Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 11:04 pm

Sub are getting flipped, recessed, and hidden without a doubt.

It wouldn't be too much of a pain to remove me from the interior. pop the seat bottom out, one torx screw and pop off the panel.

The cases come right off of them without too much work. Satin black has crossed my mind.

Thanks. You ever going to get yours in the 240 finished? Wink
Back to top Go down
240sxguy
Legit

PostSubject: Re: Honest opinions needed    Honest opinions needed  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 6:46 am

I dunno when my 240 is going to get finished. I pretty much lost momentum on it and now just don't have time with the new baby. It goes in waves. It will sit untouched for months then all of the sudden I bust ass on it and finish it. When? nobody knows... lol

One huge problem is my CD8053. I paid to put a transport in it, but the damn deck does not hold any memory when the battery dies or I shut it off (and I usually do) so I have to reset the DSP and active crossovers every time. It's annoying and frustrating. I love the deck but may need to replace it.

Back to top Go down
Tusk
Legit
Tusk

PostSubject: Re: Honest opinions needed    Honest opinions needed  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 7:46 am

That would drive me nuts. That is a nice deck though.
Back to top Go down
240sxguy
Legit

PostSubject: Re: Honest opinions needed    Honest opinions needed  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 7:50 am

Yeah, its physically excellent and has a new transport that I paid $239 for. It sounds better than the alpine deck I had in there for awhile. I am considering running a wire directly to the battery in the trunk for the constant power signal, so if it gets shut off it won't dump my settings. Just another thing to do though... another option is a small rechargeable battery remote mounted with a diode to isolate it from the rest of the system so even if the battery ends up dead I can have it hold a charge.

Realistically to meet/exceed the quality of this deck I am looking at some pretty high end shit that I just can't justify buying.
Back to top Go down
MikeyT
Legit
MikeyT

PostSubject: Re: Honest opinions needed    Honest opinions needed  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 8:39 am

Tusk

I picked 2, but must say it is really hard to beat the current set up for how clean it appears.

Mike
Back to top Go down
240sxguy
Legit

PostSubject: Re: Honest opinions needed    Honest opinions needed  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 9:40 am

Also, do you think you can find carpet that matches the trunk carpet a bit better? Its a nitpicky thing but could really pull it together.
Back to top Go down
Tusk
Legit
Tusk

PostSubject: Re: Honest opinions needed    Honest opinions needed  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 10:09 am

I know what you are saying. It drives me nuts. I was thinking the floor was going to get a matching Loyd's cover and the amp outer cover done in the black head liner type of material if I can find it. I tried a couple of greys and blacks, I just couldn't find anything locally. I even tried some carpet paint Smile
Back to top Go down
240sxguy
Legit

PostSubject: Re: Honest opinions needed    Honest opinions needed  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 10:12 am

Do you want foam backed headliner material? JoAnne fabrics has that stuff in stock last time I was there. They also have some really nice vinyl.. although it's not all that stretchy like the select products stuff.

One option... if you have the balls.. is to dye ALL the carpet in the trunk so it matches. Can't really go back on that one though!

Anyway, your car looks great regardless! Just conveying what I see and trying to assist.
Back to top Go down
Tusk
Legit
Tusk

PostSubject: Re: Honest opinions needed    Honest opinions needed  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 1:05 pm

It's all good otherwise I wouldn't have asked. The more eyes the better.

The GTO headliner is kind of weird, you's have to see it to understand the texture, though I should beable to find something close I think. I'll have to start scoping stuff out next week on my day off.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Honest opinions needed    Honest opinions needed  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Honest opinions needed
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Wisconsin Street and Track :: Automotive Related :: Garage-
Jump to: