Wisconsin Street and Track
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Concealed Carry in Reality

Go down 
+6
HoosierDaddy
LLcoolJames
MarineScout13
XSFTLBS
MikeyT
2jz-U-Ltr
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
2jz-U-Ltr
Admin
2jz-U-Ltr

Concealed Carry in Reality Empty
PostSubject: Concealed Carry in Reality   Concealed Carry in Reality Icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 7:37 pm

This whole thing passing makes me wonder how many of the CC people are actually planning on toting a gun around with them all the time or is it just nice to know you can?

I've been seeing A LOT of private owned buildings putting up "No Firearms Allowed" signs outside (which is totally their legal right) so it makes me wonder. Seems like everyone is so excited to walk around strapped, so what happens when you get to a place that doesn't allow it? Do you say fuck it and break the law and take it in anyway or lock it in your car? Because if I were the type to break into cars, now is exactly when I would start targeting mall parking lots, businesses etc to clean up on stealing guns. I could care less about it one way or another, I am just curious as to how this is going to work in the real world.
Back to top Go down
MikeyT
Legit
MikeyT

PostSubject: Re: Concealed Carry in Reality   Concealed Carry in Reality Icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 7:57 pm

This is a very good point. I think the novelty of it will get some to walk around with their weapons for a while. Yet, since this isn't tombstone and I'm not on the Oregon trail. i think it will lose some steam.

Mike
Back to top Go down
XSFTLBS
Legit
XSFTLBS

PostSubject: Re: Concealed Carry in Reality   Concealed Carry in Reality Icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 8:04 pm

If I see a sign on a business saying that I cant excercise my constitutional rights, I simply wont patronize the business. If im going out to drink, It will stay at home. I dont plan on carrying ALL the time, but most of the time. Ive always carried (legal or not) if I was going to be in a high crime area.
Back to top Go down
MarineScout13
Legit
MarineScout13

PostSubject: Re: Concealed Carry in Reality   Concealed Carry in Reality Icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 8:10 pm

I have noticed places like that too, and being that I have my conceal carry permit I think it is just a lot of places jumping to conclusions on things. There are 49 other states that allow you to carry and I can't remember a single time being in say Minnesota where I saw a sign that said you were not allowed to carry. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough but I think because it was so mainstream here that people freaked out. I also carry a pocket knife while at work and have pulled it out to cut things right in front of people that say no weapons allowed, and they wont even tell me to leave or kick me out.
And I've already walked away from places and when they ask me why I've told them and they were just like "ohhh sorry."

I also enjoy carrying my gun around on my hip, it reminds me of the good old days in Iraq, just in civilian clothes
Back to top Go down
LLcoolJames
Legit
LLcoolJames

PostSubject: Re: Concealed Carry in Reality   Concealed Carry in Reality Icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 8:23 pm

MarineScout13 wrote:
I also enjoy carrying my gun around on my hip, it reminds me of the good old days in Iraq, just in civilian clothes

as long a you dont go all post traumatic stress on somebody
Back to top Go down
HoosierDaddy
Legit

PostSubject: Re: Concealed Carry in Reality   Concealed Carry in Reality Icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 8:51 pm

i'll probably never carry on me. and i think its perfectly fine if business' don't want it.

I will however keep it in my vehicle.
Back to top Go down
2jz-U-Ltr
Admin
2jz-U-Ltr

PostSubject: Re: Concealed Carry in Reality   Concealed Carry in Reality Icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 8:51 pm

Like I said, I'm not against it and this is the first state I've lived in that didn't have CC. Everywhere else it was no big deal because they had it for awhile so almost nobody bothered. I assume at first a large portion of people will carry and it will dwindle down over time.

I just like to run through scenarios of how things like this play out in reality as opposed to imagination. There are some Madison guys on the supra forums all talking up how they will carry all the time everywhere no matter what and how if they have to draw their guns to save lives they wont get in trouble.

A few of them have a real John Wayne mentality about stopping bank robberies and hostage situations at the mall which concerns me, but I think most people that I know aren't so dillusional.

I thanked them for helping to reduce Madison's out of control mall hostage crisis.
Back to top Go down
MikeyT
Legit
MikeyT

PostSubject: Re: Concealed Carry in Reality   Concealed Carry in Reality Icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 9:40 pm

^ THis is why I advocate for mall swat teams!

Seriously, I don't feel the need to carry a gun. I don't want to be put in a situation where I have to decide to shoot someone or not. Besides any situation where i will need a gun will most likely be sometime when someone catches me unaware, which is most likely not going to end well for me or the perp.

MIke
Back to top Go down
MarineScout13
Legit
MarineScout13

PostSubject: Re: Concealed Carry in Reality   Concealed Carry in Reality Icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 10:22 pm

Don't worry Mikey, just hang out with me and I'll make that choice. You can keep a clear conscious Very Happy

I also had a bunch of friends that thought it was going to become the wild west. Or, we were all going to go the bars and get drunk while carrying. But neither of them understood that there aren't reports of 49 states having shootings all the time from people with a conceal weapon. I think people saw it and overreacted in a sense. I figure give it a few months or so and those signs will slowly go away.
Back to top Go down
overblown
Legit
overblown

PostSubject: Re: Concealed Carry in Reality   Concealed Carry in Reality Icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 11:14 pm

First off, we are the 49th state to allow concealed carry. Illinois remains the only state of the union without it. Most blame chicago for that lol. The businesses that put up signs banning concealed carry are morons. Absolutely morons. Sure, it's their right to do so. However, I'd be willing to bet that the owners of those places are either anti gun liberals, or don't actually understand the law.

If they did, they would realize that opening themselves up to liability lawsuits isn't good for business let alone angering the thousands who want to carry and will look for somewhere else to spend their money. Without that sign up, the business has no liability for gun incidents on the property. With the sign up, they open themselves up to being liable for events that could have been altered or prevented by a citizen that was carrying. In effect, they are taking away people legal right to arm and protect themselves and others with a weapon. Why as a business owner would you want to get involved with that? Dumb.

As for locking it in your car, yes that would be your only legal option. Seeing as how there is not a pandemic of stolen guns in the other 48 states that have had similar laws for years, I think we'll be ok here too. Plus, the whole point of concealed carry is you never know who is packing, so how as a criminal, would you go about targeting which cars to break into looking for guns?

I won't carry all the time. I will a lot though I believe. I also have no problem with open carrying which has been legal here for years already. I've done it several times and people don't even look twice at me. I think people are making a bigger deal of this than it really is. We aren't exactly pioneering something groundbreaking here.

That being said, be safe out there and always keep an eye on the laws as they are changing.
Back to top Go down
XSFTLBS
Legit
XSFTLBS

PostSubject: Re: Concealed Carry in Reality   Concealed Carry in Reality Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 2:03 am

^ good post. I agree with you about the liability situation. Also, its an open invitation for the crazier people out there to perhaps try something, since the likely hood that there is someone carrying is lower. That might be a very insignificant increase in risk though.

I've open carried quite a bit in Madison, both in and out of uniform. I don't see this as much of a big deal, since 48 states before us have not had these issues all of the liberal gun haters are screaming about.

Also, I think you may be just seeing this around Madison Peter. I've been all over recently, and I've rarely seen one of these signs outside of Dane county. I really think that speaks volumes about the majority of Madison's residents.
Back to top Go down
2jz-U-Ltr
Admin
2jz-U-Ltr

PostSubject: Re: Concealed Carry in Reality   Concealed Carry in Reality Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 2:22 am

I too expect it is a Madison thing. I also understand that people could not tell what cars have guns in them. I was only saying if I were the type of person that normally breaks into cars and steals cds, radios etc. I would step it up in the next few days and hope to get high dollar items like guns. But that probably won't happen.

I was watching one of those local govt tv channels one day and it was some group of Madison officials talking openly on TV about how they could try and disallow concealed carry in some public buildings and I actually heard the term loop hole and unfortunately this property will have to abide by the new laws.

Most of the signs I have seen were not in a store or open to the public business. They are on office buildings and workplaces.

Again I agree that every state I've lived in has had this and it was meaningless. It's just a big deal to people here because its new.
Back to top Go down
XSFTLBS
Legit
XSFTLBS

PostSubject: Re: Concealed Carry in Reality   Concealed Carry in Reality Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 2:30 am

Well, I think its a big deal here because we were not able to carry concealed, and honestly you should be able to. IMHO, it should be constitutional carry, not concealed carry. But I'm willing to have my name on file somewhere (like it isn't already anyways) to be able to carry legally and out of sight.
Back to top Go down
STiedVR4Guy
Legit
STiedVR4Guy

PostSubject: Re: Concealed Carry in Reality   Concealed Carry in Reality Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 3:27 am

I like the way you throw around the term constitutional so much yet there are so many fucking things going on right now that are unconstitutional yet our government continues to do them.
Back to top Go down
XSFTLBS
Legit
XSFTLBS

PostSubject: Re: Concealed Carry in Reality   Concealed Carry in Reality Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 3:40 am

.... well, I see it this way. There have been a lot of assaults on the constitution lately, from all sides. There is no way in hell I'll ever give up the right to defend myself and my family. If we give up our right to be a "well armed militia", we let tyranny rein.

I may be retired from Military service, but the oath I took was a life-long commitment.

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

I have a real problem with any politician, group or individual trampling on any part of the Constitution, and though it MY rights and YOUR rights as an American.
Back to top Go down
408 4 Eye
Legit
408 4 Eye

PostSubject: Re: Concealed Carry in Reality   Concealed Carry in Reality Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 2:17 pm

I believe my permit is in the mail! In 99% of my daily activities, I doubt I'll carry. But there are times when I take the kids camping or something that I would like to have it, and nobody need to know I have it!
Back to top Go down
Tusk
Legit
Tusk

PostSubject: Re: Concealed Carry in Reality   Concealed Carry in Reality Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 11:56 pm

StrokedZ wrote:
If I see a sign on a business saying that I cant excercise my constitutional rights, I simply wont patronize the business. If im going out to drink, It will stay at home. I dont plan on carrying ALL the time, but most of the time. Ive always carried (legal or not) if I was going to be in a high crime area.

CC, I really don't care either way. You do have to accept that it is also the right of the establishment to refuse you service. Good luck going into any hospital or clinic in the area with a concealed weapon. There is Z E R O reason you need to be armed in A N Y of the facilities here. NONE, NADDA.

My main worry from all of this is from the dumb asses who thing they know what they're doing. Who think they understand gun safety. I don't feel the need to get shot by some fucktard while I'm eating dinner......... quick story from a case I was involved this past year.

Older gentleman, knew better, around guns long enough. Managed to shot himself in the hand..... while cleaning his gun. He popped the clip and proceeded to clean his gun. Ok, what did he forget to do? Yup, that pesky one in the chamber.
Back to top Go down
XSFTLBS
Legit
XSFTLBS

PostSubject: Re: Concealed Carry in Reality   Concealed Carry in Reality Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 12:04 am

Oh no doubt its their right. I'm not saying that they should be forced to allow me to carry... I'm just saying that I'd rather be a patron of an establishment that allows me and other Americans the option, if we choose. I don't feel the need to carry into any hospital or clinic at all, thats one of the cases where I would not carry. Just like a School, or a bar for that matter. I'd leave it out in the car if nothing else.
Back to top Go down
2jz-U-Ltr
Admin
2jz-U-Ltr

PostSubject: Re: Concealed Carry in Reality   Concealed Carry in Reality Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 12:14 am

You're like a walking Lee Greenwood song
Back to top Go down
XSFTLBS
Legit
XSFTLBS

PostSubject: Re: Concealed Carry in Reality   Concealed Carry in Reality Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 5:34 am

LoL
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Concealed Carry in Reality   Concealed Carry in Reality Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 10:23 am

Haven't been around much lately but this one caught my eye.

I've had my CC since Nov 9th and have carried every day since attaining it. I'm with Strokedz, should have been Constitutional carry. There is no reason I need a permission slip to do something I've done for the past 30 some odd years. Yes, I was 7 when I was out in the woods with a firearm.

I don't venture to the Peoples Republic of Madison very often but on the occasions I have I have been carrying. Two times I had to leave my handgun in the vehicle because the place was posted. Both were public buildings were I had little choice but to enter unarmed.

I hope to God I never, ever have to pull my gun. I hope if I ever am presented with a life or death situation just pulling the gun defuses it. I don't want to take a life but if it is a choice between mine or my families and the BG, I'll pull the trigger with no regrets.

I won't break the law with CC, if the business or place is posted and I choose to go in, I'll gladly disarm. Their taking the liability if something happens while I am in there. I can't wait to watch the courts tackle that situation. When a BG attacks someone in a posted business and a CCer gets hurt or killed. That will be a mess to straighten out.

I won't stop someone from carrying at my place of business or property. Hell, if you aren't carrying at my property there is a pretty good chance you don't have a reason to be there. Ask Chris, we've corrupted him already Smile

In a year you'll see the final numbers on CC and I'll bet less than 5% of the state has a license and after the 5 years I bet 1% of those will reapply. It is just the way it is. It isn't easy to CC, there is a constant responsibility but it also is the best determent for crime. A armed society is a polite society. to coin a chessy phrase.

I'm not worried about my SUV being broken into and weapons stolen. They are in secure lock boxes when they are in there or I am carrying. I won't leave my SUV anywhere which it would present a target and if I was forced too, I'd take the weapons out. Situations like going to my kids sports force me to disarm. School laws.

I've had a lot of discussions with people that don't like CC and have told me so. They don't have much to say when I explain I have been legally CCing for as long as they knew me, so what has changed since I now have card that says I can go do it most anywhere.

eh, like reddit, ask me anything about it, glad to answer.

Back to top Go down
408 4 Eye
Legit
408 4 Eye

PostSubject: Re: Concealed Carry in Reality   Concealed Carry in Reality Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 2:19 pm

lilwillie wrote:
I hope to God I never, ever have to pull my gun. I hope if I ever am presented with a life or death situation just pulling the gun defuses it. I don't want to take a life but if it is a choice between mine or my families and the BG, I'll pull the trigger with no regrets.

+1 Im still waiting for mine to come.The DOJ cashed my check 2 weeks ago.....seems like forever.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Concealed Carry in Reality   Concealed Carry in Reality Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 2:27 pm

408 4 Eye wrote:
lilwillie wrote:

+1 Im still waiting for mine to come.The DOJ cashed my check 2 weeks ago.....seems like forever.

Word from the inside is if they cashed your check it is about 10-15 business days before you'll see the permit. So pretty damn soon for you.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Concealed Carry in Reality   Concealed Carry in Reality Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 2:34 pm

Concealed Carry will definitely make certain individuals think twice before causing harm to others at places such as the State Fair in Milwaukee. I don't see next years state fair ending the same as this years. I don't know if you are allowed to have a gun at something such as the State Fair but I know there sure will be firearms in vehicles that would come into use If I had a family being mugged and beat on at a event that is suppose to be a good time. In reality I wouldn't ever be at an event with such drama that would put me in a situation like that. But concealed carry will have an impact no doubt. As for being in businesses that state they do not allow it you can make the choice to either not enter the business and go elsewhere, leave your gun in your vehicle or walk in and I think the charges would be trespassing? From what I've read. Not sure though. Usually guns are kept in locked compartments of vehicles or a gun case that requires a key if being transported if you are following the law and common courtesy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Concealed Carry in Reality   Concealed Carry in Reality Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 2:42 pm

tTwinkiEt wrote:
Concealed Carry will definitely make certain individuals think twice before causing harm to others at places such as the State Fair in Milwaukee. I don't see next years state fair ending the same as this years. I don't know if you are allowed to have a gun at something such as the State Fair but I know there sure will be firearms in vehicles that would come into use If I had a family being mugged and beat on at a event that is suppose to be a good time. In reality I wouldn't ever be at an event with such drama that would put me in a situation like that. But concealed carry will have an impact no doubt. As for being in businesses that state they do not allow it you can make the choice to either not enter the business and go elsewhere, leave your gun in your vehicle or walk in and I think the charges would be trespassing? From what I've read. Not sure though. Usually guns are kept in locked compartments of vehicles or a gun case that requires a key if being transported if you are following the law and common courtesy.

State fair grounds has a zero weapon policy even if you have a CC license.

If you do have a CC and were to go on the grounds carrying and were caught. It is a class B Misdemeanor and a loss of your CC License to conceal carry anywhere it isn't allowed. As for the vehicle, you can open carry a long gun all you want as long as it is visible and completely unloaded, zero ammo anywhere in it, chamber/magazine/tube. You can open carry a Handgun as long as it is visible. That situation though is going through its first court fight

http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/opencarry-advocate-arrested-jailed-tf310bl-133725628.html

As for CC in a vehicle. I do it all the time.

Oh, to add. If a business or property has a zero weapon policy you can legally keep the weapons in your vehicle. They cannot stop that, unless it is on school grounds.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Concealed Carry in Reality   Concealed Carry in Reality Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Concealed Carry in Reality
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next