Wisconsin Street and Track
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Verdict on the motor so far.

Go down 
+14
Petes71cam
overblown
240sxguy
Overboosting
tim85851
Bod89lx
blown383z28
MikeyT
LLcoolJames
2jz-U-Ltr
Disgustang
Thunderballs
OJDAJUICEMAN
XSFTLBS
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
XSFTLBS
Legit
XSFTLBS

Verdict on the motor so far. Empty
PostSubject: Verdict on the motor so far.   Verdict on the motor so far. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 6:38 pm

Meister called me today, here is the verdi t so far.

Crank broke right near the number 1I main. Block looks okay so far, so thats a plus.

The pistons were VERY carboned up, and it looks like the top set of rings lost tension. The rings also appear to have "fluttered" taking out the ringlands on at least 4 of them. The rods appear to have LOCK TIGHTED bolts, and are very likely out if round. No idea what caused the crank to break at the front.... but it was a cast eagle crank, which ive read horror stories of the same fracture happening a LOT over at ls1 tech.

So, it looks like a block cleanup, timing set, rotating assembly, and other misc parts. Hes currently looking up a kit for me so we can get an Idea on what this is going to cost. Yay me..... at least it will be done RIGHT this time.
Back to top Go down
OJDAJUICEMAN
Legit
OJDAJUICEMAN

PostSubject: Re: Verdict on the motor so far.   Verdict on the motor so far. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 6:55 pm

with how unbalanced that motor was, im surprised it lasted as long as it did.
Back to top Go down
Thunderballs
Legit

PostSubject: Re: Verdict on the motor so far.   Verdict on the motor so far. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 7:20 pm

Why was the motor out of balance?

Might have been said already and I missed it.
Back to top Go down
Disgustang
Legit
Disgustang

PostSubject: Re: Verdict on the motor so far.   Verdict on the motor so far. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 7:40 pm

I'm parting out my motor let me know if your intrested in a set of eagle H-beams and eagle forged crank Smile
Back to top Go down
XSFTLBS
Legit
XSFTLBS

PostSubject: Re: Verdict on the motor so far.   Verdict on the motor so far. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 8:36 pm

3vs197 wrote:
with how unbalanced that motor was, im surprised it lasted as long as it did.

^ this. Its funny though, the bearings werent that bad.....
has
Thunderballs: it had a stock weighted flexplate on an internally balanced motor.....yikes.

Thats not what caused the crank faiure though..... that was likely a shitty eagle cast stroker crank. They have a HUGE bad rep at ls1tech for failing exactly like mine did. It broke just like the other ones ive seen. The pistons/ringlands are all tune for sure, lots of carbon, broken rings, it was obviously overheated at one point pretty bad, since the top rings hardly have any spring left to them.
Back to top Go down
Thunderballs
Legit

PostSubject: Re: Verdict on the motor so far.   Verdict on the motor so far. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 9:01 pm

Why did whoever do that with the flex plate. Thats kinda stupid.
Back to top Go down
XSFTLBS
Legit
XSFTLBS

PostSubject: Re: Verdict on the motor so far.   Verdict on the motor so far. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 10:23 pm

No idea..... not sure exactly who did it, it was either who put the motor in the car, or the builder. Theres conflicting stories on both sides..... but at this point it doesnt really matter much. It didnt apparently damage anything too bad.
Back to top Go down
2jz-U-Ltr
Admin
2jz-U-Ltr

PostSubject: Re: Verdict on the motor so far.   Verdict on the motor so far. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 10:26 pm

What a piece of shit
Back to top Go down
XSFTLBS
Legit
XSFTLBS

PostSubject: Re: Verdict on the motor so far.   Verdict on the motor so far. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 12:35 am

2jz-U-Ltr wrote:
What a piece of shit

I know, right? Smile

Fuck it.... Dave can rebuild it. We are looking into a couple of things right now, as soon as he makes sure the cylinders are still round, we'll go from there. It MIGHT still be a 383 when he's done. LOL Even if something drastic has to happen, it will have ARP hardware throughout, and will be set up for some squeeze. Probably not this year though.... I think my wife would kill me in my sleep.
Back to top Go down
LLcoolJames
Legit
LLcoolJames

PostSubject: Re: Verdict on the motor so far.   Verdict on the motor so far. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 1:53 am

told you so
Back to top Go down
XSFTLBS
Legit
XSFTLBS

PostSubject: Re: Verdict on the motor so far.   Verdict on the motor so far. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 2:05 am

^ LOL ^

ASS!

Whatever.... I guess I can laugh about that now.... yes, you DID. Oh well, i'm not mad.... nothing you can do but laugh it off sometimes.
Back to top Go down
MikeyT
Legit
MikeyT

PostSubject: Re: Verdict on the motor so far.   Verdict on the motor so far. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 2:12 am

Well, you knew it would be bad. I also know the eagle has a hit or miss reputation, but again I think the flexplate still caused it. Well good to figure it out now and out it back together

Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Verdict on the motor so far.   Verdict on the motor so far. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 3:35 am

MikeyT wrote:
Well, you knew it would be bad. I also know the eagle has a hit or miss reputation, but again I think the flexplate still caused it. Well good to figure it out now and out it back together

Mike

I agree.
Back to top Go down
XSFTLBS
Legit
XSFTLBS

PostSubject: Re: Verdict on the motor so far.   Verdict on the motor so far. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 3:48 am

Yeah, i prepared myself for the worst. Its not as bad as that though, the block is okay at least. Smile I'm spending the coin to do it RIGHT the first time, and I'm still on track to have it out by the time the salt is washed off the roads.
Back to top Go down
blown383z28
Legit
blown383z28

PostSubject: Re: Verdict on the motor so far.   Verdict on the motor so far. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 7:06 am

u should be all over steve for buying his parts... he has a hell of a deal on every thing other than the block!! (thats mine)lol!! awsome heads and good internals!!! if you buy good new internals it would be almost the same as what you could buy all of steves stuff..
Back to top Go down
XSFTLBS
Legit
XSFTLBS

PostSubject: Re: Verdict on the motor so far.   Verdict on the motor so far. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 7:29 am

Yeah, I already talked with Steve LOL He was texting Dave with me standing there checkign out my motor! I'm seriously considering his parts. Part of me wants to save the money and get his stuff, but part of me wants all brand new parts. ATM, I'm leaning towards everything brand new and set up right. We will see though, I have some decisions to make pretty quick here.
Back to top Go down
Disgustang
Legit
Disgustang

PostSubject: Re: Verdict on the motor so far.   Verdict on the motor so far. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 8:24 am

Not sure why you would spend the money for new. Dave asked if I had the stuff maged I told him I was not spending that money but if you bought it and had it done found something cracked id take my parts back and give you your money back. Your paying less then half of new for forged parts. Even if you throw in the coast to upgrade to ARP2000 hardware and new pistons your talking 1300-1400ish VS 2300ish. Yesterday is really the first day I actively tried selling my parts and have done okay if you don't buy them I'm sure someone will.
Back to top Go down
Bod89lx
Legit
Bod89lx

PostSubject: Re: Verdict on the motor so far.   Verdict on the motor so far. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 9:22 am

Well that sucks, just make sure you dont get it tuned from the same person this time as it sounds like they did not really know wtf they were doing.

Last edited by Bod89lx on Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tim85851
Legit
tim85851

PostSubject: Re: Verdict on the motor so far.   Verdict on the motor so far. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 5:09 pm

brngrhd wrote:
...if you bought it and had it done found something cracked id take my parts back and give you your money back. Your paying less then half of new for forged parts...

cheers
dont be a dummy. buy this man's parts.

LOL Laughing
Back to top Go down
2jz-U-Ltr
Admin
2jz-U-Ltr

PostSubject: Re: Verdict on the motor so far.   Verdict on the motor so far. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 7:42 pm

StrokedZ wrote:
and will be set up for some squeeze.

Verdict on the motor so far. Cmt-medium
Back to top Go down
Overboosting
Admin
Overboosting

PostSubject: Re: Verdict on the motor so far.   Verdict on the motor so far. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 8:33 pm

2jz-U-Ltr wrote:
StrokedZ wrote:
and will be set up for some squeeze.

Verdict on the motor so far. Cmt-medium

HAHA id imagine thats what blackouts gonna look like when he hits the noz.
Back to top Go down
XSFTLBS
Legit
XSFTLBS

PostSubject: Re: Verdict on the motor so far.   Verdict on the motor so far. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 10:29 pm

More like this:

Verdict on the motor so far. AAA
Back to top Go down
XSFTLBS
Legit
XSFTLBS

PostSubject: Re: Verdict on the motor so far.   Verdict on the motor so far. Icon_minitimeSat Feb 25, 2012 4:53 pm

Here are some pictures of the carnage:

Verdict on the motor so far. Photobucket-48637-1330202249778

Verdict on the motor so far. Photobucket-16552-1330202149334

Verdict on the motor so far. Photobucket-7167-1330202099827

Verdict on the motor so far. Photobucket-16789-1330202361538

Verdict on the motor so far. Photobucket-8031-1330202351283

Verdict on the motor so far. Photobucket-49474-1330202341322

Verdict on the motor so far. Photobucket-38441-1330202291990

I can't beleive it still drove! I drove back from Fort Atkinson to Sun Prairie, and then drove it from Sun Prairie to JD's shop like this.
Back to top Go down
240sxguy
Legit

PostSubject: Re: Verdict on the motor so far.   Verdict on the motor so far. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 1:02 pm

wow.
Back to top Go down
LLcoolJames
Legit
LLcoolJames

PostSubject: Re: Verdict on the motor so far.   Verdict on the motor so far. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 11:37 pm

would ya look at that
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Verdict on the motor so far.   Verdict on the motor so far. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Verdict on the motor so far.
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next