Wisconsin Street and Track
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Serious question:

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
XSFTLBS
Legit
XSFTLBS

Serious question: Empty
PostSubject: Serious question:   Serious question: Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2012 12:40 am

So, now that the Motor for the Camaro is basically done, i'm thinking about what happened. I know most of you have seen the pics I posted of the broken crank, and i think we all know what happened there. My question is this though. Looking at what was left of the piston rings, I have to wonder what caused it. The rings that were intact didn't have much spring left to them at all.

I think that the motor was probably overheated pretty good once or twice for that kind of damage to be done to the rings. Just a theory, but do you agree? What else could cause that type of damage? From the Dyno sheets, I know that at WOT, the tune looked good A/F wise, but because it was a mail order tune, I'm damn sure that idle , part throttle and tip in were pretty fucked up, as in pig rich. I just want to avoid (as much as possible) any more major failures with the motor. I'm also wondering if tune up parts (plugs, wires, opti) had anything to do with what we saw.

Anyways, just kind of thinking out loud, so if you have any input as to a possible cause for these types of failures, post it up! Also, for some reason, there was a single bent intake valve..... not badly bent, but enough that it leaked a bit. There was no evidence of piston/valve contact, so i'm assuming it was bent when the previous builder put it in the head.
Back to top Go down
Disgustang
Legit
Disgustang

PostSubject: Re: Serious question:   Serious question: Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2012 8:25 am

I'd say it was over heated for the rings to not have tension in them. The broken rings are either they was not enough ring gap (unlikely) or detonation. This could be from the tune could be someone needed premium and was beating it with 87..... Get it running and get it tuned by someone who knows lt1 engines. Have them do a safe tune because 20 hp doesn't mean shit with a blown motor
Back to top Go down
nasty187

nasty187

PostSubject: Re: Serious question:   Serious question: Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2012 5:53 pm

i would say overheated badly,i had a small block i drove till it had zero water in. and it cracked the block from head to head. Things you do to out run cops when your young a nd foolish in that case. It looked alot like what you posted.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ripsnortin.net
XSFTLBS
Legit
XSFTLBS

PostSubject: Re: Serious question:   Serious question: Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2012 7:45 pm

Interesting LOL

Any way that over-fueling at idle/part throttle could have an effect like this?

I DO know that the damn temp gauge did not work in the car when i got it. I found the sensor snapped off in the head for the gauge..... I couldn't get it out so I added one to the passengers side head. It never ran hot while i had it, that for sure.

Its a good possibility that the rings/ringlands were fucked well before I bought the car. I did a little reading and yeah, detonation can do that too.

The tune will have to be conservative, I want this thing to last.

Thanks for the input!
Back to top Go down
eLetoR
Legit
eLetoR

PostSubject: Re: Serious question:   Serious question: Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 5:54 am

lol
Back to top Go down
LLcoolJames
Legit
LLcoolJames

PostSubject: Re: Serious question:   Serious question: Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 9:53 am

eLetoR wrote:
lol

Back to top Go down
LLcoolJames
Legit
LLcoolJames

PostSubject: Re: Serious question:   Serious question: Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 9:54 am

So what your saying is that the motor was magic cock pony before you bought it
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Serious question:   Serious question: Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Serious question:
Page 1 of 1