Wisconsin Street and Track
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

FML, wrx trans problems

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
3Krehab

3Krehab

FML, wrx trans problems Empty
PostSubject: FML, wrx trans problems   FML, wrx trans problems Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 3:41 pm

First time i've been in this situation, and to make it better i'm broke right now, but heres what happened.
Last night i grinded a little bit second gear, only 2nd time i've grinded a gear in this car. (2002 wrx, stock w/ few bolt ons)
I rolled up to the next light, light turned green, and i couldn't put the car in first. Had trouble getting it into first a few times before, but this time it just would NOT go in. Put it in second, and pulled into to taco bell. Turned car off, and still couldn't get it into first. Drove it home immediately starting out in second, and while i was about 20 feet from my parking space i couldn't get it into 2nd either. The gears are to long to start out in 3rd i believe, although i haven't tried. Pushed it in, and now it sits there. May i remind you i can still get into 3,4,5th, and reverse. If i am correct, i believe its not the clutch plate or anything and its probably the synchros or linkage. I know these cars have "glass" gearboxes, and i don't launch it or anything. To top this whole thing off, tomorrows my birthday, so this really fucking sucks to say the least.
Whats my next step from here? Neutral
Back to top Go down
Overboosting
Admin
Overboosting

PostSubject: Re: FML, wrx trans problems   FML, wrx trans problems Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 4:18 pm

sounds like its something in the linkage to me, ive had a bushing break on the bottom of my shifter and it was making the linkage jam so I couldnt get it into gear. this was on an 04 wrx.

jack up the car and there should be a rod going into the back of the transmission, see if you can move that in and out with your hand, you should be able to...if not you might have more serious issues.
Back to top Go down
3Krehab

3Krehab

PostSubject: Re: FML, wrx trans problems   FML, wrx trans problems Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 4:58 pm

I'll try to get it jacked up tonight or tomorrow morning.
Was talking to a family member who knows a lot more about this then me and he also believes its in the linkage. If it does happen to be this, how much did it cost you? Is it a DIY or do i still have to take it in?
Back to top Go down
Overboosting
Admin
Overboosting

PostSubject: Re: FML, wrx trans problems   FML, wrx trans problems Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 5:06 pm

Its probably a 30 dollars in parts, and then the labor, I took off the downpipe,midpipe and driveshaft to make it easy to get to. Basically the ball on the bottom of the shifter sits in this bushing and that bushing sits in the gear selector rod and its held in with a c-clip. Im not sure if thats your problem or not though
Back to top Go down
Overboosting
Admin
Overboosting

PostSubject: Re: FML, wrx trans problems   FML, wrx trans problems Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 5:07 pm

Does the shifter seem loose or different than it did before this issue, how old is the clutch and is it stock?
Back to top Go down
3Krehab

3Krehab

PostSubject: Re: FML, wrx trans problems   FML, wrx trans problems Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 5:49 pm

Well i was told it was new when i bought it, but lord only knows. Feel fine though, no different feel really to the clutch. But the shifter does seem a little more wobbly but like i said i cant even get it into first just a little bit.
Back to top Go down
3Krehab

3Krehab

PostSubject: Re: FML, wrx trans problems   FML, wrx trans problems Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 1:54 pm

Update:
Goes into second just fine now. I think it might be the bushings like you said. Took a little bit of force but now it goes in and out of second just fine.
Due to the fact that we just moved, i don't have any of my tools but they'll be coming today, so if i have enough time i'll jack it up and see if i can move that rod. If i can, does that mean the bushing break causing the linkage jam is most likely the problem?
Back to top Go down
Overboosting
Admin
Overboosting

PostSubject: Re: FML, wrx trans problems   FML, wrx trans problems Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 4:35 pm

Yes more than likely. If its not that you should be able to see what's jamming by moving that rod
Back to top Go down
3Krehab

3Krehab

PostSubject: Re: FML, wrx trans problems   FML, wrx trans problems Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 6:09 pm

So i was getting impatient today since i still haven't got any of my jacks back yet. So i decided id tear apart the center console and see how far down i could see.
I Took apart almost everything i could get my hands into. Is that a cracked bushing that could be causing this? Theres a good 3 or 4 cracks in that, and they clunk around quite i bit when i change gears. Theres a rubber guard sorta thing around it, and if i lift up the sides of that i can see right under car. I will be jacking it up finally tomorrow and i'm gunna try to get to it from the bottom. I leave the state for a few days on the 28th so i'm trying to get this done before then if possible. Think this is whats causing the blockage to first?

FML, wrx trans problems IMAG0550
FML, wrx trans problems IMAG0548
FML, wrx trans problems BrokenBushing
Back to top Go down
XSFTLBS
Legit
XSFTLBS

PostSubject: Re: FML, wrx trans problems   FML, wrx trans problems Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 9:14 pm

Yeah. Thats shot. Ive never had a subaru, but shifter bushings that looked like that have given me similar issues in the past.
Back to top Go down
3Krehab

3Krehab

PostSubject: Re: FML, wrx trans problems   FML, wrx trans problems Icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2012 4:21 pm

Is that all i'll have to replace then? Have the car jacked up while we speak and im trying to figure out how the whole thing comes apart.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FML, wrx trans problems   FML, wrx trans problems Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

FML, wrx trans problems
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Wisconsin Street and Track :: Automotive Related :: Garage-
Jump to: