HomePortalRegisterLog in

Share | 

Cold Air or Short Ram Intake Better For Wisconsins Wet Weather

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Cold Air or Short Ram Intake Better For Wisconsins Wet Weather   Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:15 pm

I own a mazda 3 and am looking at getting an air intake. I want to get a cold air intake for the performance but am nervous of hydrolock in wisconsins wet weather. If you have a cold air intake, have you had problems? What brands are better. i am looking at a fujita f5.
Back to top Go down
2jz-U-Ltr
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Cold Air or Short Ram Intake Better For Wisconsins Wet Weather   Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:18 pm

I have a turboXS CAI on my speed3 and I drive it in all kinds of weather, all winter and through the spring rain. I don't even have my splash shield on and I've never had an issue. I also don't drive through puddles and stay out of boost when its wet, not to mention it has a K&N filter on the end of it.

Also, you gotta post an intro dude.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cold Air or Short Ram Intake Better For Wisconsins Wet Weather   Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:30 pm

Yeah i just saw the intro section so i put up some basics. thank you for the advice. how do you get the picture of your car under your posts?
Back to top Go down
STiedVR4Guy
Legit

PostSubject: Re: Cold Air or Short Ram Intake Better For Wisconsins Wet Weather   Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:34 pm

ITSACKRT wrote:
how do you get the picture of your car under your posts?

If you edit signature under profile (along the top) you can put an image in the format of [img] URL address here [\img] only use a forward slash instead of backwards.

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Cold Air or Short Ram Intake Better For Wisconsins Wet Weather   Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:00 pm

ITSACKRT wrote:
Yeah i just saw the intro section so i put up some basics. thank you for the advice. how do you get the picture of your car under your posts?

Here, I finally put something in the FAQ section lol

http://wistreetandtrack.forumotion.com/faq-f6/how-to-post-a-signature-a-picture-that-shows-up-under-your-post-t438.htm#6836
Back to top Go down
Srauls
Legit

PostSubject: Re: Cold Air or Short Ram Intake Better For Wisconsins Wet Weather   Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:19 pm

You shouldnt have to worry too much about hydrolocking if your careful. You can always make some sort of splash guard as well. Mine is down being my foglight and have never had an issue with any water.
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/srauls

PostSubject: Re: Cold Air or Short Ram Intake Better For Wisconsins Wet Weather   Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:50 am

I run a cold air intake that just barely tucks in the top of the fender. it has a heat shield and dropped my IAT by over 15 degrees. Some of them can go pretty far down and run a higher risk of sucking in water. Worst case, you could always get a hydro sock that prevents water from passing through. Cold air will generally have better performance gains than a short ram.
Back to top Go down
Tusk
Legit

PostSubject: Re: Cold Air or Short Ram Intake Better For Wisconsins Wet Weather   Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:59 am

I ran a CAI on my Sentra... don't drive through a lake and you'll be fine.

PostSubject: Re: Cold Air or Short Ram Intake Better For Wisconsins Wet Weather   Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:43 am

i have the fujita f5...just get a hydrosheild..ull be fine...ive accidenly hit some major puddles and no problem at all
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cold Air or Short Ram Intake Better For Wisconsins Wet Weather   Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:44 am

btw..the filter for the f5 sits in front of the wheel...love this intake..
Back to top Go down
240sxguy
Legit

PostSubject: Re: Cold Air or Short Ram Intake Better For Wisconsins Wet Weather   Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:23 am

I have had trouble recently with water fouling out my MAF sensor. I am running a AEM dryflow filter and it gets saturated with water very quickly. I am going to buy a K&N again here shortly.

Evan
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cold Air or Short Ram Intake Better For Wisconsins Wet Weather   Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:32 pm

I got the aem filter cover and havent had a problem in the 2 yrs ive had the intake'
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cold Air or Short Ram Intake Better For Wisconsins Wet Weather   Mon May 24, 2010 11:15 am

I have the Mazdaspeed (brand, not off Mazdaspeed 6) CAI. It has a splash guard that came with it, also the factory "splash" aka underbody shielding protects it as well. I haven't had any problems thus far.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cold Air or Short Ram Intake Better For Wisconsins Wet Weather   Wed May 26, 2010 10:21 pm

If you are going with the cold air set up I have seen these and thought it was a WIN for sure. http://www.extremepsi.com/store/customer/search.php?veh=1G+DSM&cat=259&type=Miscellaneous

You hook it up in a dry area and if you get the filter soaking wet the engine can still breathe.
Back to top Go down
Disgustang
Legit

PostSubject: Re: Cold Air or Short Ram Intake Better For Wisconsins Wet Weather   Wed May 26, 2010 10:23 pm

ThomasG-1b wrote:
If you are going with the cold air set up I have seen these and thought it was a WIN for sure. http://www.extremepsi.com/store/customer/search.php?veh=1G+DSM&cat=259&type=Miscellaneous

You hook it up in a dry area and if you get the filter soaking wet the engine can still breathe.

POST AN INTRO!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cold Air or Short Ram Intake Better For Wisconsins Wet Weather   Sun May 30, 2010 12:29 pm

I have a COBB SRI and no problems. Any puddles or rain hasn't hurt at all even in boost. Not as much power gains as a cai though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cold Air or Short Ram Intake Better For Wisconsins Wet Weather   Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:57 am

ThomasG-1b wrote:

I've been told that these are no good for forced induction vehicles, can anyone confirm this? I know nothing about said subject lol.
Back to top Go down
2jz-U-Ltr
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Cold Air or Short Ram Intake Better For Wisconsins Wet Weather   Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:03 am

I don't think you would ever need anything that extreme. Just avoid puddles. I have a turboxs CAI with a K&N filter and no splash guard and it's never an issue.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cold Air or Short Ram Intake Better For Wisconsins Wet Weather   

Back to top Go down

Cold Air or Short Ram Intake Better For Wisconsins Wet Weather
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1