Wisconsin Street and Track
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I'm about to give up. I need help.

Go down 
+8
cletus
kthxbai
Bod89lx
LLcoolJames
Blown91LX
240sxguy
Disgustang
XSFTLBS
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Disgustang
Legit
Disgustang

I'm about to give up.  I need help. - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm about to give up. I need help.   I'm about to give up.  I need help. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon May 17, 2010 9:58 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I'm about to give up. I need help.   I'm about to give up.  I need help. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon May 17, 2010 10:49 pm

If you got a sick kid at home, that car should be the last thing on your mind. Its not your primary source of transportation. If finances are tight, then maybe it is time to sell it until things are better at home. You can get another car down the road and start over. Your concern should be the well-being of your family, not your hot rod. Its a little bit different for me, I don't have a family to support so my girlfriend, hot rod, and dog are my priorities - in that order.

Just my .02. I hope your son is doing well.
Back to top Go down
240sxguy
Legit

PostSubject: Re: I'm about to give up. I need help.   I'm about to give up.  I need help. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon May 17, 2010 10:51 pm

I say just put a cover over it and store it away somewhere safe. I was under the impression this was your primary transportation. Walking away from the problem for a month or two will give you time to pull a few shillings together and take a breather from the car.

Evan
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I'm about to give up. I need help.   I'm about to give up.  I need help. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon May 17, 2010 11:11 pm

moparkid wrote:
If you got a sick kid at home, that car should be the last thing on your mind. Its not your primary source of transportation. If finances are tight, then maybe it is time to sell it until things are better at home. You can get another car down the road and start over. Your concern should be the well-being of your family, not your hot rod. Its a little bit different for me, I don't have a family to support so my girlfriend, hot rod, and dog are my priorities - in that order.

Can't say anymore then what was stated above.

Broke people can not afford the expense of these types of things. If the car is paid for, just store it away. If not, cut your losses and abandon all hope. And if you're tired of being broke, get the book "The Total Money Makeover." It will change your life! I mean this! One thing that i can't stand to see with people in our hobby is the burdon of being broke. Also hope your son is doing well.
Back to top Go down
XSFTLBS
Legit
XSFTLBS

PostSubject: Re: I'm about to give up. I need help.   I'm about to give up.  I need help. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 3:27 am

moparkid wrote:

Back to top Go down
XSFTLBS
Legit
XSFTLBS

PostSubject: Re: I'm about to give up. I need help.   I'm about to give up.  I need help. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 3:36 am

moparkid wrote:

My son is doing fine now, thanks guys. He was running around crazy just a day after his surgery..... amazing.

The problem with being off of work still is that I asked for 2 weeks off, thinking that he would be hurting pretty bad and would need me right there. ( Open heart surgery) Turns out he is now back to his normal self, and the only way we can keep him still is if we tie his little butt down. I called up the boss to return to work early, but he already has all my hours covered till next monday, and wasn't willing to put me to work. My family is taken care of, and that is my #1 priority. Bills are paid, we have food, and we have cloths on our backs. I have a little bit of money squirrled away just for the car, but that is running out quick.

It doesnt help that my only hobby is screwing around with and driving this car LOL. I guess the reason why its pissing me off so much is that I want to drive it, and I can't. Thats the one thing I do by myself anymore since I have a family. I don't know about you guys, but i need my own thing to do once in a while. Thats why its frustrating.

FWIW, I locked out the timing at 25* (Steve suggested it) and the car acted the same. Locking out the timing basically took the computer and the Spout signal out of the loop.... so at least I know that is good.
Back to top Go down
Disgustang
Legit
Disgustang

PostSubject: Re: I'm about to give up. I need help.   I'm about to give up.  I need help. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 7:55 am

we have pretty much eliminated the ignition system.... I did some reading before we talked and by pulling the spout we took the timing control away from the everything like running a locked out dizzy. that takes the eec and EVERYTHING that was not replaced out of the loops..... the one thing that we will move on to next is fuel the signal coming from the pip controls injectors and se we have to check that out next..... IIRC that is the one that BJ said was off.... so load test teh wire like i said if that wire is good everything else has been replaced that could mess that up.
Back to top Go down
XSFTLBS
Legit
XSFTLBS

PostSubject: Re: I'm about to give up. I need help.   I'm about to give up.  I need help. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun May 23, 2010 11:14 pm

Okay Keep in mind that my car has an air meter that uses a flapper door and a potentiometer, instead of a heated element (MAF) This system is Known as a VAM (Vaned Air meter)

I did some more experimenting today and I'm 100% sure I figured out the problem. I took the top off of my VAM today and noticed that at idle, the door bounces uncontrollably unless I physically stop it. Flick the sweeper again, and it starts flapping all over. I marked the position of the door and played with just the spring tension a bit.

If I tighten the spring up, the bouncing becomes easier to induce, and will not stop until physically stopped.

If i LOOSEN the spring tension a bit, the door settles down very quickly once you flick the throttle, but unfortunately it has the side effect of allowing the door to sit open further than it should, making the car run rich. Unfortunately, there is no happy medium that I can find.... It either flaps uncontrollably or it runs rich. I suppose I could try to open up the air bleed on it to put the door back to a normal position..... but I'm not sure if it will do the trick.

Anybody have a suggestion? I think this was caused by adding a ton of volume (capacity) after the turbo, and the inake track before the turbo being so short. Mabey if I move the filter into the nose, it will lengthen the intake tract enough to stabilize the incomming air.
Back to top Go down
240sxguy
Legit

PostSubject: Re: I'm about to give up. I need help.   I'm about to give up.  I need help. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 8:11 am

That is certainly easy enough to test by adding a piece of pipe. Have you considered the sensor may just need replacement?
Back to top Go down
Disgustang
Legit
Disgustang

PostSubject: Re: I'm about to give up. I need help.   I'm about to give up.  I need help. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 11:05 am

I don't feel that there should be much if any more air movement at idle. there must be something that is inducing this
Back to top Go down
XSFTLBS
Legit
XSFTLBS

PostSubject: Re: I'm about to give up. I need help.   I'm about to give up.  I need help. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 2:43 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the set spring tension from the remanufacturer is too high. This is the whole problem. You are right steve, there shouldnt be ANY movement at idle as long as all other factors are correct (which they are). Unfortunately, Original units are either shot completely, or the spring tension is so damn loose that they barely make the door swing shut when there is no airflow.

I'm going to try to adjust the air meter today just to see if i can find a happy medium between the air bleed and the door tension. If i am successful, i will be able to open the air bleed a bit to let the door sit at the correct position. This means that the door will still let the sweeper put out the correct voltage, while allowing a lower spring tension so the door does not bounce uncontrollably. I will report back Later today.
Back to top Go down
XSFTLBS
Legit
XSFTLBS

PostSubject: Re: I'm about to give up. I need help.   I'm about to give up.  I need help. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 2:48 pm

Also, this problem has cropped up when people with the same engine as I have switch to a big FMIC. Many think that its a result of increasing the volume of air after the turbo, and increasing the distance between the turbo and the throttle plates. Basically it sets up a pressure resonance that starts the flapping, and the too high spring tension lets it continue to happen.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I'm about to give up. I need help.   I'm about to give up.  I need help. - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I'm about to give up. I need help.
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4