Wisconsin Street and Track
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tent camping?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
noodles
Legit

Tent camping? Empty
PostSubject: Tent camping?   Tent camping? Icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 1:40 am

Any places ppl recommend in midwest..can be anywhere. Was planning on going to TN, but ppl we were going to meet there won't make it. I've heard of the mazomanie blackhawk river run..? ANyone tried that? Im up for anything and anywhere.
Back to top Go down

Tent camping? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tent camping?   Tent camping? Icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 8:36 am

noodles wrote:
Any places ppl recommend in midwest..can be anywhere. Was planning on going to TN, but ppl we were going to meet there won't make it. I've heard of the mazomanie blackhawk river run..? ANyone tried that? Im up for anything and anywhere.

There are certain sections on that run you cannot camp on, scroll down to the Lower Wisconsin River section. Ferry Bluff isn't named Ferry Bluff because of the gay guys prowling nude beach, it was where a Ferry docked before Sauk had its bridges way back when.

http://dnr.wisconsin.gov/org/land/parks/specific/findapark.html

. The DNR put that in because of nude beach.. People still do it though, if you don't set camp until nightfall you won't get pinched. Just keep it away from the nude beach. And if you do, make camp on a high island or beach, that river can rise and fall a few feet in a hour if the Dam opens up to keep the Lake Wisconsin beach front owners happy. Fire Department always gets a call during the summer for campers stranded because the river washed everything away in a thunderstorm that affected things North of them or right on them.
Back to top Go down

Tent camping? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tent camping?   Tent camping? Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 2:20 am

noodles wrote:

In Wisconsin
-Copper Falls - I can't remember the name of the town, but it's ~45 min south of bayfield, has a lot of cool hiking trails, with waterfalls and such.
-White Mounds - Over where all the mounds of Wisconsin are.
- Kettle Moraine - South of Lake Winnebago
- Gov. Dodge, Dodgeville awesome beach, but it gets crowded, I've heard that the backpacking trails are excellent.

In Michigan
- Bewaubic - Just across the border near crystal falls, great canoeing lakes.
- Porcupine Mountain - All around awesome
- Muskellunge - A bit of a drive, but if you were considering TN then it's not too bad. Some cool diving if you can handle superior's temperatures.
- Fort Wilkin's - On the tip of the Keweenaw, we rented kayaks and paddled around superior.
- Tahquamenon Falls - In the ironicly named Paradise, MI, lots of scenic hiking trails
- Indian Lake - a big lake great for fishing, I think I lost a pair of glasses there.
- Palms Book - Doesn't have camping, but instead this underwater spring that fills this 50' deep pond.
- Fayette - An old smelting hub that has been restored, cool if you're a history-buff, also good diving.

I'm sure I could think of more but these should keep you busy for a couple of years.
Back to top Go down
mile_high51
Legit
mile_high51

Tent camping? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tent camping?   Tent camping? Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 11:59 am

noodles wrote:

white water rafting on the wolf in Menominee county is pretty awesome, they have camp sites and such.

gets a little crowded during the summer though sometimes.
Back to top Go down
spyderToph

spyderToph

Tent camping? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tent camping?   Tent camping? Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 1:22 pm

noodles wrote:

Boundry waters in MN/canada is my favorite place to go. Absolutely amazing up there.
Back to top Go down
noodles
Legit

Tent camping? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tent camping?   Tent camping? Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 2:26 pm

pimp thanks guys. Just got back from a 5 day camping trip in the smokies. Was pretty cool, fishing there sucked cause Im terrible at trout fishing. Saw everything but a bear. White water rafting was kinda crappy cus of water being so low, but overall trip was a blast.

The white water rafting when is the best time to go, if u dont mind telling.
Back to top Go down
mile_high51
Legit
mile_high51

Tent camping? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tent camping?   Tent camping? Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 3:57 pm

starting June to July any weekend is awesome, as long as the water is up. but i know right now the wolf river is super low, 2 or even 1 good rainfall will change that real quick though.

July and into August is the busier "college kids" times, if that's your thing.

i know you said you went fishing, there is absolutely NO FISHING on the Wolf River unless your a registered Menominee tribe member. its a hefty fine and even jail time in some cases. that's the only shitty part.
Back to top Go down
noodles
Legit

Tent camping? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tent camping?   Tent camping? Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 6:27 pm

Holy shit that sucks. Yeah our next camping trip I'm gonna try to find a place that I can actually Catch dinner. Lol thanks for recs man.
Back to top Go down
mile_high51
Legit
mile_high51

Tent camping? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tent camping?   Tent camping? Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 6:34 pm

haha i know what your saying.

apple river is a fun place to go in somerset, wi. camping, fishing, and they have a few outfits where you rent rafts and can float down river ALL day and drink/fish/whatever and they'll pick you up at the end. no whitewater or nothing, just super relaxing.

they even have concerts and stuff like that on certain weekends all along the river. its pretty fun.

personally i like the middle of nowhere places you DON'T hear about (the ones where finding gas station is an hour or so drive), but this was kind of fun the couple times I did it.
Back to top Go down
noodles
Legit

Tent camping? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tent camping?   Tent camping? Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 5:52 pm

Yeah we like middle of nowhere camping too cause we tend to get loud. Luckily our site was along river so it muffled the noise tremendously.

Thanks again for the pimp places.
Back to top Go down

Tent camping? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tent camping?   Tent camping? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 9:10 am

Here is a nice place that is close

http://www.blackhawklake.com/
Back to top Go down

Tent camping? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tent camping?   Tent camping? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 5:27 pm

If your looking for fishing, there are alot of trout and walleye tournaments in Menominee. A few camping places but nothing spectacular that I know of besides what Calcium put up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tent camping? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tent camping?   Tent camping? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tent camping?
Page 1 of 1