Wisconsin Street and Track
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Car issues. need help?

Go down 
+3
MikeyT
Overboosting
Mclovin23
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Mclovin23
Legit
Mclovin23

Car issues. need help? Empty
PostSubject: Car issues. need help?   Car issues. need help? Icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 11:50 am

i posted this thread on the forums but just trying to see what people might think it could be:

"Starting a couple days ago my car has been acting really shitty. my tune was good and my AFR was spot on even at cruise and idle. now the wideband jumps from to lean all the time in all instances. one of the injectors wasnt sealed but we got that resolved but the issue remains the same. tonight after doing some pulls my check engine light started to slowly flash which i assume because the car is misfiring and then tonight on my way home my car almost died at regular cruising.

What have i done?
checked to make sure injectors are sealed. have brand new o2 sensor for wideband. put in new one step colder plugs in two weeks ago gapped at .032. injectors are less than o a month old. i am not throwing any codes otherwise

conclusion.
if the issue was just the wideband it would have no effect on the driveability of the car. if it was the plugs and they and they weren't sparking properly i would assume it would be rich, not lean and i still dont understand the fluctuation in the A/F.

Does this sound like a shot injector or is my thinking incorrect? any insight would be great. i need this resolved. thanks ahead of time"\

any ideas?
Back to top Go down
Overboosting
Admin
Overboosting

PostSubject: Re: Car issues. need help?   Car issues. need help? Icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 12:55 pm

For the hell of it id try closing that gap alittle
Back to top Go down
MikeyT
Legit
MikeyT

PostSubject: Re: Car issues. need help?   Car issues. need help? Icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 12:59 pm

I'd also take a look at those plugs, if its rich you'll see it, they will be dark, not nice even brown. My concern beyond the gap would be fouling out, based on the length of time. Why did you decide to step down to colder plugs?

Mike
Back to top Go down
STiedVR4Guy
Legit
STiedVR4Guy

PostSubject: Re: Car issues. need help?   Car issues. need help? Icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 1:28 pm

I may not know what I am talking about but I ran this by cory @ work.

If its leaning out could this be caused by the fuel pump? I don't know anything about the cobalt pumps or what they are good to (400 wheel supposedly) but could doing something like either hot wiring the pump for more voltage or getting a Walboro 255 potentially help the issue?
Back to top Go down
Mclovin23
Legit
Mclovin23

PostSubject: Re: Car issues. need help?   Car issues. need help? Icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 1:51 pm

the old plugs were fouled out because it was really rich so i got those squared away and i already have a step colder plug (what the company sugested i should use with my mods) but i can check them. its really easy.

as far as the A/F gauge. i dont think a misfire would cause it to lean out sporadically. if anything i would assume that would make it run rich if some fuel isnt burning up in the cylinders. plus the misfire happened only in high RPMs after a few pulls. my IAT2s could have been too high and caused that. i dont think its the gauge because the gauge would have no effect on the car almost dying while crusing.

I think the changes on the A/F gauge is car car trying to compensate for the lack of fuel it is receiving because it bounces from say 14.8 to out of range on the lean side and back and forth.

preston could be right about the pump. shit goes out so i understand that. but it was working fine and for the stuff i have it should be more than enough. but if one injector isnt working correctly i could understand why A/F could be bouncing around and why my car is running like crap
Back to top Go down
2jz-U-Ltr
Admin
2jz-U-Ltr

PostSubject: Re: Car issues. need help?   Car issues. need help? Icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 2:39 pm

Overboosting wrote:
For the hell of it id try closing that gap alittle
Agreed. You me and Preston have roughly the same mods. Preston was having issues with his gapped out to .32 and I run mine (one step colder also) gapped to .28 so it wouldn't hurt. I know it's not the answer to all your problems, but you probably have multiple issues causing this stuff and it won't hurt to start eliminating possibilities.
Back to top Go down
Mclovin23
Legit
Mclovin23

PostSubject: Re: Car issues. need help?   Car issues. need help? Icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 2:53 pm

yeah i can def look into it. i just dont see that being the issue with the fuel. but one step at a time i suppose
Back to top Go down
2jz-U-Ltr
Admin
2jz-U-Ltr

PostSubject: Re: Car issues. need help?   Car issues. need help? Icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 3:01 pm

it's all a game of elimination. Plus it will give you a chance to read the plugs. After that, I would guess fueling issues.
Back to top Go down
Disgustang
Legit
Disgustang

PostSubject: Re: Car issues. need help?   Car issues. need help? Icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 5:40 pm

a misfire will cause a lean O2 reading. it is pumping O2 in and not burning it, the O2 sensor is just that an O2 sensor, it does not see the fuel that is unburned just the o2 that is unburned. as for the pump it would be a problem under WOT where it can't keep up with demands not at cruise. if it does it under wot then the fuel pump me be giving up..... try the gap if your running 20psi id close it up to .028 what plug are you running?
Back to top Go down
Mclovin23
Legit
Mclovin23

PostSubject: Re: Car issues. need help?   Car issues. need help? Icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 5:46 pm

NGK BKR7E one step colder or something like that. i'll definatly close the gap a little then. but it didnt misfire accpet way up top after multiple pulls. the only reason i know it did is because the check engine light slowly flashed for a while before going off.
Back to top Go down
spyderToph

spyderToph

PostSubject: Re: Car issues. need help?   Car issues. need help? Icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 10:27 am

What codes are stored and what were your STFT's when it was thrown?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Car issues. need help?   Car issues. need help? Icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 2:38 pm

have you replaced the stock O2 sensor? If the AFR is oscillating it could be a bad sensor
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Car issues. need help?   Car issues. need help? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Car issues. need help?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Wisconsin Street and Track :: Automotive Related :: Garage-
Jump to: