HomePortalRegisterLog in

Share | 

crossroads.....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MikeyT
Legit

PostSubject: crossroads.....   Thu May 27, 2010 10:33 pm

You know this past couple of weeks I've been really kind of at a crossroads with my Coronet. First and foremost I love the car, its been a joy to work on. It was the first car I ever tackled bodywork on and the first car I had the financial where with all to set up the way I wanted too. Now, its not some rare number matching car, but just a great cruiser that I feel comfortable driving about anywhere. However my heart just doesn't seem into it anymore. I mean sure it was great to dyno it and all, but it just doesn't trip my trigger.

This isn't saying I'm wanting to pull out of the classic mopar thing, its just I almost am wanting to do a new project or something. However when ever I get these thoughts I'm conflicted by the fact that I "know" this car. I don't have to worry about electrical gremlins crippling me on the side of the road or worry about every little noise or was the motor well kept. All the kind of issues that come out of dealing with these old things.

I've noticed over the last couple of days I've really been drawn back to early 71- 72 B bodies. As some of you know my formative years were spent tearing up the backroads of North Dakota in a 1972 Road Runner. I sold that car after high school never realizing its signifigance to me. I think part of it for me is to sell the coronet and get another 72 road runner. Yet beleive it or not, it makes me feel GUILTY!!!! lol!

Anyway, maybe I'm just nuts, but I sit conflicted. Anyone ever gone thru something similar, or have an opinion they would share with me would be great!

thanks for listening to my banter. geek

Mike

Legit

PostSubject: Re: crossroads.....   Thu May 27, 2010 10:45 pm

Yes. Very recently. My Thunderbird.

Personally, I love the Coronet.... and you don't see too many of them around here at all. I would keep it. Not having to worry about little gremlins is worth its weight in gold man. Not only that, but sentimentality is what kept me plugging away at the bird despite being completely pissed at the situation. Once you have a "bond" with a car.... its hard to let go.

I'd keep it..... I know if I got rid of the bird (running well or not) I know that I would regret it in the future.

PostSubject: Re: crossroads.....   Thu May 27, 2010 10:47 pm

I had a 66 Nova from the time I was 18 until I was 37. When I bought the car it was a clapped out POS that ran 13.8's. After losing the back window on the starting line due to body twist, I decided to put it on an 81 G-body frame. After that I put all new body panels on it and after 15 years finally put a big block in it and mini tubbed it. Had fun with the car but it still needed paint, all new chrome and I wanted to put EFI on it but couldn't see spending another 10 grand on it. I sold it and bought the 99 Camaro which was fun for a little while but it just wasn't my Nova. Now that I finally got my truck running, it's a little better but there are still times that I miss the car. When you have something for any amount of time it seems to become family. My wife even cried as the guy pulled away with the car the day I sold it. To make a long story short, if you can afford to keep you car and buy another one, do it. You will miss it when you sell it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: crossroads.....   Thu May 27, 2010 11:00 pm

my first car was a rusted out piece of shit two hundred thousand mile caviler. I miss the shit out of that car. call me crazy but it was such a fun car. Beat the living hell out of it and never let me down....i salvaged it because it was, well worn out. Went back a few months later and seen it crushed. killed me.
Back to top Go down
240sxguy
Legit

PostSubject: Re: crossroads.....   Thu May 27, 2010 11:07 pm

There are some individuals who are way more into building cars, and get bored with them when they are finished. I am one of these people. I can also say that I have seriously contemplated my 240sx going up for sale. I always back out at the last minute.
Back to top Go down
2jz-U-Ltr
Admin

PostSubject: Re: crossroads.....   Thu May 27, 2010 11:09 pm

I know where your heads at man. I go through it whenever I see an old duster for sale. Even building the supra would make me feel guilty to the mazda,but for some reason the supra just does it for me.
Back to top Go down
MikeyT
Legit

PostSubject: Re: crossroads.....   Fri May 28, 2010 6:28 pm

Thanks guys

Today, I remain quite conflicted about this decision, but I think part of my loss in interest might be that I just don't drive it enough. The Challenger has made me lazy, its just so much easier to get in it, then to go through the hassle of pulling the coronet out of the garage and cleaning it and all that jazz. Now that the weather is nice however i dson't have an excuse for not driving it.

Mike

Legit

PostSubject: Re: crossroads.....   Fri May 28, 2010 8:18 pm

i say do what makes you happy mikey. i would hate for you to get rid of the coronet. its one of my favorite cars on the forum. if its possible for ya i say kepp it and get another project car Smile

PostSubject: Re: crossroads.....   Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:56 pm

doyle09 wrote:
my first car was a rusted out piece of shit two hundred thousand mile caviler. I miss the shit out of that car. call me crazy but it was such a fun car. Beat the living hell out of it and never let me down....i salvaged it because it was, well worn out. Went back a few months later and seen it crushed. killed me.

I've heard that those cavaliers last for forever and a day, my friend had one with something like 260k miles on it, the thing was still going strong when one of the tires blew and he rolled it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: crossroads.....   Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:00 pm

Cornnet > something else

Nuff said
Back to top Go down
MikeyT
Legit

PostSubject: Re: crossroads.....   Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:33 pm

Yup, after much consideration. I did decide to keep it. The only true reason I would ever sell it would be if i could find a really nice 1972 440 plymouth Road Runner to take its place

Mike.

PostSubject: Re: crossroads.....   

Back to top Go down

crossroads.....
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1