HomePortalRegisterLog in

Share | 

Moar subaru shinanigans

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
STiedVR4Guy
Legit

PostSubject: Moar subaru shinanigans   Fri May 28, 2010 3:33 am

So as some of you know my STi was misfiring after doing spark plugs for the 60k.

Got a few misfires after this and got worried, also the car has not sounded exactly like it used to be (to me; most think I'm paranoid)
First I time NaSTi advised me that plugs should be gaped to .028 where mine were .032 when I did it the first time.
So a few weeks later when i got a few misfires, I did it again, took the plugs out and re-gaped them to .028.

Everything ran smoothly up until I got back from Automotion where my car promptly throws 2 misfire codes, GREAT, cleared them drove once more that day and it threw 2 more (this was in our 80+ degree weather). At this point I was thinking "Ok fuck this, I'm going to go get NEW spark plugs and change them again."

So later on after reading a few things doing some research on plug gap for the VR-4 (got those changed to runs like a champ), I found out you are not supposed to gap iridium plugs...

Sooooo this time I went with platinum and gaped them to .028 changed them for the 3rd fucking time tonight and took it for a test drive after letting it warm up, everything went smoothly hopefully it stays that way. I'm not sure on this but part of the problem may have been how they seated the second time I changed them as the crush washer was already crushed but what the fuck do I know. Oh and I can do this in about an hour now....

/Subaru rant

PostSubject: Re: Moar subaru shinanigans   Fri May 28, 2010 4:25 am

Have you eliminated the possibility of a bad injector?

Iridium plugs are fine and work great if you don't touch their gapping as you discovered Smile
Highly recommend using anti-seize and dielectric grease too
Back to top Go down
STiedVR4Guy
Legit

PostSubject: Re: Moar subaru shinanigans   Fri May 28, 2010 11:45 am

th3franz wrote:
Have you eliminated the possibility of a bad injector?

Iridium plugs are fine and work great if you don't touch their gapping as you discovered Smile
Highly recommend using anti-seize and dielectric grease too

I almost did, I wasn't sure on this though. I heard someone tell me this but I couldn't remember so I didn't. Do you use the grease on the threads of the plug? or on the part that is touching the coil? I don't think I would have a bad injector as I have had a misfire from each cylinder at some point.

Legit

PostSubject: Re: Moar subaru shinanigans   Fri May 28, 2010 12:38 pm

Anti-seize goes on the plug threads... dilectric grease goes on the tip where the wire connects.

PostSubject: Re: Moar subaru shinanigans   

Back to top Go down

Moar subaru shinanigans
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1