Wisconsin Street and Track
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Interesting test....

Go down 
4 posters

What should Mikey do?
Keep the Edelbrock Thunder series carb on it (If it ain't broke don't fix it?)
Interesting test.... I_vote_lcap45%Interesting test.... I_vote_rcap
 45% [ 5 ]
Return of the king! Put the 770 cfm holley back on the Mopar!
Interesting test.... I_vote_lcap18%Interesting test.... I_vote_rcap
 18% [ 2 ]
It doesn't matter its a mopar....
Interesting test.... I_vote_lcap9%Interesting test.... I_vote_rcap
 9% [ 1 ]
Three letter Mike EFI!
Interesting test.... I_vote_lcap27%Interesting test.... I_vote_rcap
 27% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 11

AuthorMessage
MikeyT
Legit
MikeyT

Interesting test.... Empty
PostSubject: Interesting test....   Interesting test.... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 8:57 pm

Well I just got back my Holley 770 street avenger back. Its an awesome carb, but had issues with its throttle shaft that caused it to precariously stick at WOT. Shocked Now its not a world beater, but its pretty easy to tune and performs well. Currently I'm running an 800 edlebrock AVS thunder series carb, that Nate and I had no idea how to tune. We actually tuned it backwards and leaned it out a bit ( not dangerously) and were able to get 300 horsepower out of my 440 on his mustang dyno. Anyway, I quickly fattened it back up and now its running even better.

Well here is the question, should I adopt the if it ain't broke don't fix it adage? Or... should I put the Holley back at its rightful place as king of the 440? Or.... Should we do another Dyno run and run a comparison between the two!?
Mike
Back to top Go down
Disgustang
Legit
Disgustang

PostSubject: Re: Interesting test....   Interesting test.... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 9:04 pm

Well mike it really depends one what your looking for. You know i would say EFI but it is spendy and you have some good carbs already..... My second choice is the holley just because i know my way around them. but if what you have is tuned well and runs well...... so i voted it is a mopar does it matter LOL
Back to top Go down
MikeyT
Legit
MikeyT

PostSubject: Re: Interesting test....   Interesting test.... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 9:29 pm

The efi is not realistic for right now, but it would be something I would consider at some point

Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interesting test....   Interesting test.... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 10:42 pm

Carbs are like pizza - everyone has there own taste in toppings.

I have had many Edelbrocks, and rarely had issues with them. For the most part, you bolt it up, adjust your A/F, and hit the street. The only thing close to a Holley that I had was a Demon Carb I got talked into buying when I replaced my Edelbrock on the '69. IMO, I thought it was a mucking fess to work with. I'm also the guy who doesn't want to be adjusting mixtures every time the humidity changes. I've always had good luck with Edelbrocks, parts are fairly easy to get for them, and they are really nothing more than a reman Carter (Mopar nudge Wink )

EFI is always a cool way to go, but expensive. Obviously when its set up right, its unstoppable, but I remember when Dave Magnum was putting the EFI on his 440 he had a hell of a time getting it squared away.

Ultimately the choice will be yours as to what your comfortable with and how much you want to spend Cool
Back to top Go down
MikeyT
Legit
MikeyT

PostSubject: Re: Interesting test....   Interesting test.... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 11:34 pm

Thanks Zac

LOL! Yup, the carter nudge is perfect. I'm actually just kidding about the EFI right now. I like the eddy its a good carb, but I got the Holley back and it makes you think a little bit.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Brendler84
Legit
Brendler84

PostSubject: Re: Interesting test....   Interesting test.... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 11:35 am

Ah throw the Holley back on there Mikey! No problems with mine except a new front bowl.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interesting test....   Interesting test.... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 12:12 pm

I've had the EFI with DIS on the Camaro since I got it on the road. It takes a lot of patience and trial and error to get it squared away perfect. I'm pretty happy where I am at now, just have some cold driveability issues to address.

Once I was finished i had 3K invested in the system. I'd say keep the Carter(another mopar nudge) and second choice throw the Holley on. As mopar said, the Edles are just to easy to work with to not want them on.
Back to top Go down
Disgustang
Legit
Disgustang

PostSubject: Re: Interesting test....   Interesting test.... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 12:41 pm

You can buy a an EZ EFI alot cheaper then 3K and it will bolt on and is self tuning.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interesting test....   Interesting test.... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 5:12 pm

brngrhd wrote:
You can buy a an EZ EFI alot cheaper then 3K and it will bolt on and is self tuning.

Yes, you can. Not a big fan of the self tuning setups. I'd like something you can adjust and tinker on. Plus mine came with the ignition system.
Back to top Go down
XSFTLBS
Legit
XSFTLBS

PostSubject: Re: Interesting test....   Interesting test.... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 6:26 pm

Id say try both and whatever one works best, use it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interesting test....   Interesting test.... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Interesting test....
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Wisconsin Street and Track :: Automotive Related :: Garage-
Jump to: