Wisconsin Street and Track
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Just broke drive shaft.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Just broke drive shaft. Empty
PostSubject: Just broke drive shaft.   Just broke drive shaft. Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 10:00 am

In 1st gear, put it to the floor then clunk clunk. Looked under the car and there it was hanging, twisted it like a tootsie roll, luckily my safely loop saved the bottom of the car from getting beat up.

I was thinking about checking out what Machine Service Inc on Stoughton road has to offer before I went with a aftermarket company. Anyone ever deal with them?
Back to top Go down
Tusk
Legit
Tusk

PostSubject: Re: Just broke drive shaft.   Just broke drive shaft. Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 11:05 am

I did maybe 14 years ago, so I think things my have changed since then. GF at the time had a "friend" shorten her drive shaft in his garage while I was away... she couldn't figure out why it shook violently Smile They fixed it all up.
Back to top Go down
Disgustang
Legit
Disgustang

PostSubject: Re: Just broke drive shaft.   Just broke drive shaft. Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 12:18 pm

they did mine in the vette and ones for our pulling truck. never had one failure
Back to top Go down
Disgustang
Legit
Disgustang

PostSubject: Re: Just broke drive shaft.   Just broke drive shaft. Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 12:19 pm

and a great price too. they did the one in the vette for less then $300
Back to top Go down
408 4 Eye
Legit
408 4 Eye

PostSubject: Re: Just broke drive shaft.   Just broke drive shaft. Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 12:32 pm

z28_theantirice wrote:
In 1st gear, put it to the floor then clunk clunk. Looked under the car and there it was hanging, twisted it like a tootsie roll, luckily my safely loop saved the bottom of the car from getting beat up.

I was thinking about checking out what Machine Service Inc on Stoughton road has to offer before I went with a aftermarket company. Anyone ever deal with them?
Had them shorten the drive shaft on the kit car, seems like a good job!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just broke drive shaft.   Just broke drive shaft. Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 5:41 pm

I deal with Randy or Wade over there for all of my driveshaft repairs/builds/balancing. Excellent work at a good price!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just broke drive shaft.   Just broke drive shaft. Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 8:37 pm

Machine service is top notch.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just broke drive shaft.   Just broke drive shaft. Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 11:17 am

I will have to give them a call on Tuesday.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just broke drive shaft.   Just broke drive shaft. Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 1:28 pm

+1 for Machine Shop Service!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just broke drive shaft.   Just broke drive shaft. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 3:46 pm

Had sometime to take the drive shaft out, pictures below. Unfortunately there was more damage than I had initially thought. The rear is toast. The pinion is completely locked up, pretty sure thats why my drive shaft broke. Also can spin both tires in opposite directions. To hot to dig into it further, but if the rear turns up to be dead I think I am going to build an 8.8. Eitherway the car is going to be down for a while. FTL.

Just broke drive shaft. IMG00056-20100706-1243
Just broke drive shaft. IMG00055-20100706-1206
Just broke drive shaft. IMG00054-20100706-1206
Back to top Go down
Disgustang
Legit
Disgustang

PostSubject: Re: Just broke drive shaft.   Just broke drive shaft. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 4:04 pm

dude that sucks.... guess it is just a reason to upgrade
Back to top Go down
kp116
Legit
kp116

PostSubject: Re: Just broke drive shaft.   Just broke drive shaft. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 6:49 pm

Twisting driveshafts? Must be a racecar. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just broke drive shaft.   Just broke drive shaft. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 6:52 pm

kp116 wrote:
Twisting driveshafts? Must be a racecar. Smile

+1.

When I saw the pic's I was going to comment that he must have the only bulletproof f-body rear axle in existance, but then I see he does not. If you need help with any OE parts, let me know Cool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just broke drive shaft.   Just broke drive shaft. Icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 9:13 am

Turns out the limited slip was the cause of the failure. Looks like it let loose then some of the parts got wedged between the pinion and ring gear which caused it to lock up and and the drive shaft to be twisted.

Just broke drive shaft. IMG00065-20100709-1758
Just broke drive shaft. IMG00066-20100709-1809
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just broke drive shaft.   Just broke drive shaft. Icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 9:45 am

This is why 7.5 rearends suck.

Thanks GM for putting the same rearend in my V8 car as a 4 banger pick up.
Back to top Go down
MikeyT
Legit
MikeyT

PostSubject: Re: Just broke drive shaft.   Just broke drive shaft. Icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 11:15 am

Yeah thats not good when they leave little springs and twisted metal in the bottom of the housing! Looks like some one needs to upgrade to a moser Dana system.

Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just broke drive shaft.   Just broke drive shaft. Icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 11:20 am

RACECAR!
Back to top Go down
408 4 Eye
Legit
408 4 Eye

PostSubject: Re: Just broke drive shaft.   Just broke drive shaft. Icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 11:46 am

That sucks!
Back to top Go down
Disgustang
Legit
Disgustang

PostSubject: Re: Just broke drive shaft.   Just broke drive shaft. Icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 5:20 pm

damn man that sucks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just broke drive shaft.   Just broke drive shaft. Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 11:31 am

I am thinking about saying screw it and purchasing a 9" housing and coming up with the 3rd member. Anyone know someone who sells rebuilt 3rd members?
Back to top Go down
Disgustang
Legit
Disgustang

PostSubject: Re: Just broke drive shaft.   Just broke drive shaft. Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 11:40 am

z28_theantirice wrote:
I am thinking about saying screw it and purchasing a 9" housing and coming up with the 3rd member. Anyone know someone who sells rebuild 3rd members?

There are tons of rebuilt ones on ebay. or you can buy my magic cock pony one LOL what you looking for? what kind of power you making?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just broke drive shaft.   Just broke drive shaft. Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 11:42 am

hahah I need one with 3.89 gears and a 31 spline trac-loc. Making about 390 rwph.
Back to top Go down
Disgustang
Legit
Disgustang

PostSubject: Re: Just broke drive shaft.   Just broke drive shaft. Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 11:56 am

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just broke drive shaft.   Just broke drive shaft. Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 12:00 pm

Have you bought from them before?
Back to top Go down
Disgustang
Legit
Disgustang

PostSubject: Re: Just broke drive shaft.   Just broke drive shaft. Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 12:01 pm

nope but the listing there was the one i was going to buy. I'm now stepping it up to a locker and nodular case
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just broke drive shaft.   Just broke drive shaft. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Just broke drive shaft.
Page 1 of 1