Wisconsin Street and Track
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Figured out my random Miss..

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
XSFTLBS
Legit
XSFTLBS

Figured out my random Miss.. Empty
PostSubject: Figured out my random Miss..   Figured out my random Miss.. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 7:57 pm

So some of you know, some of you don't....

Anyways, off and on since I replaced the Opti, I've noticed that the car would run great for a long time and all of a sudden be down on power and misfire a bit. It came to a head a couple of weeks ago when it was almost undriveable. So i jumped into it again and this is what I did:

Replaced all spark plugs with NGK TR55's (the ENTIRE passengers side bank were carbon fouled, and the number 6 plug was an incorrect heat range PLATINUM plug, just like I found on the passengers side on cylinder 6) They all smelled strong like fuel. I was about to start throwing tools when it came to changing the #5 plug.... the pacesetters are a pain in the ass for this plug, as you can't get at the damn thing. Putting a standard SP socket on it and using a ratchet wrench is the ONLY way..... and even then, I snapped the fucker off. To get it all the way out, I had to loosen up the drivers side manifold and slide it towards the fender about 2 inches. I'm buying the F-Body SLP Spark Plug socket ...... its worth not going through that again. Here's a pic for reference:

Replaced all the spark plug wires with MSD 8.5 superconductors, with an over the valve cover loom kit. CMS was awesome, everything was assembled, and it works just as advertised. As added insurance, I put DEI fiberglass heat sleeves on all the wires, they supposedly can withstand 2000 degrees constant.

Put my spare Optispark on ( I figured why not, I had to do something else (see below)

Changed the water pump drive seal for the SECOND time. It was leaking oil out of the timing cover, and I apparently screwed up the old/new seal putting it in last time.

Tapped the water pump weep hole to NPT, added a barbed fitting and a drain line. (just in case the WP decides to shit, it won't leak on the opti)

I took it for a 5 mile drive, and the damn thing threw a SES light and sputtered all over the place. I pulled plugs again, and all four on the PS were fouled again. I had the codes scanned, and I saw that the PS bank (bank 2) was LEAN. Now I knew that was wrong, since all four on that side were fouled BAD, and the drivers side were clean. SO, I cleaned up the plugs and today I replaced the bank 2 O2 sensor.

Problem SOLVED. I just got back from driving it around Sun Prairie and up and down 151 a couple of times, not a hint of missfire and no SES. The sensor must have been sending a false lean, computer dumped fuel like crazy, and it would foul the plugs and miss. It runs a BIT smoother under accel, and pulls a bit harder now too. Come to think of it, I've had a random SES light once in a great while since Ive owned the car, and after a short blast, it would go out. I figured that was an O2 problem. NOW, i just have to get to a lift to change the drivers side one.... its screwed in all the way, but the main part of the sensor is loose in the body. I also an NOT splicing wires, I got a couple of O2 extensions when I was down at Speed Inc. yesterday, and they work awesome.

Just thought I'd share. Smile
Back to top Go down
MikeyT
Legit
MikeyT

PostSubject: Re: Figured out my random Miss..   Figured out my random Miss.. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 8:02 pm

Strong work Kevin. That has to feel pretty awesome to figure that out.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Fuckin Schiller!!
Legit
Fuckin Schiller!!

PostSubject: Re: Figured out my random Miss..   Figured out my random Miss.. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 8:06 pm

I blame mayonnaise.
Back to top Go down
OJDAJUICEMAN
Legit
OJDAJUICEMAN

PostSubject: Re: Figured out my random Miss..   Figured out my random Miss.. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 8:15 pm

holy shit brownout. doesn't it seem odd to you your shitbox miss fires every 6 fucking seconds you drive it? It seems odd to replace plugs/wires/opti every other time you drive it. Seems like you should get rid of it or quit fixing the symptoms cause its a pattern with you, weird.

end rant.
Back to top Go down
XSFTLBS
Legit
XSFTLBS

PostSubject: Re: Figured out my random Miss..   Figured out my random Miss.. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 8:29 pm

3vs197 wrote:
holy shit brownout. doesn't it seem odd to you your shitbox miss fires every 6 fucking seconds you drive it? It seems odd to replace plugs/wires/opti every other time you drive it. Seems like you should get rid of it or quit fixing the symptoms cause its a pattern with you, weird.

end rant.

LOL

Nah, I think I'll keep it. Ive replaced wired exactly ONCE, as well as plugs. I threw the spare opti on there since I had to fix the oil leak, so no biggie there. I'm almost at the end of fixing what was wrong with the car when I bought it, so its not my fault Smile

List so far has been:

Opti
Wrong plugs in cylinders 5 and 6
Crap Vatozone wires
O2 sensors
Torn intake elbow
Oil leak at the timing cover, water pump drive seal
Loose rocker arms on the passengers side head

You have to remember that I knew absolutely NOTHING about LT1's prior to buying this car, so there was a bit of a learning curve. I'm doing alright with this car so far, when it spits a problem at me, I learn how to fix it and I fix it. Nothing that I've done to the car so far has failed because of my installation or because the car was bad.... it was just Chris didn't honestly know much about it and a bunch of people had their hands in it. its a good car.

You can't say it hasn't been a good purchase, since Ive raced more this year than I have in the past THREE TOTAL. Smile
Back to top Go down
OJDAJUICEMAN
Legit
OJDAJUICEMAN

PostSubject: Re: Figured out my random Miss..   Figured out my random Miss.. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 8:47 pm

well congrats on figuring out your problem for the 4th time...hopefully it lasts longer than 2 trips to kwik trip this time...
Back to top Go down
XSFTLBS
Legit
XSFTLBS

PostSubject: Re: Figured out my random Miss..   Figured out my random Miss.. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 8:55 pm

How'd you know I was at Kwik Trip? Suspect

LOL

I'm not worried, the car has ran great more than it hasn't, and if you hadn't noticed, ive been out a lot more this year. Smile
Back to top Go down
Petes71cam
Legit
Petes71cam

PostSubject: Re: Figured out my random Miss..   Figured out my random Miss.. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 2:31 am

In the future check your plug wires with an ohm meter for resistance. Might of saved yourself a few bucks. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
XSFTLBS
Legit
XSFTLBS

PostSubject: Re: Figured out my random Miss..   Figured out my random Miss.. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 3:18 am

Oh, I know that. I changed them because I really wanted the otvc kit...on the plus side, I probably wont ever burn a sp wire again... and their easy to change.
Back to top Go down
Petes71cam
Legit
Petes71cam

PostSubject: Re: Figured out my random Miss..   Figured out my random Miss.. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 11:45 am

Oh ok. Thought you were chasing a misfire. Nice wires tho
Back to top Go down
XSFTLBS
Legit
XSFTLBS

PostSubject: Re: Figured out my random Miss..   Figured out my random Miss.. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 7:59 pm

I was chasing a misfire, but I knew it wasn't the wires since they were relatively new. BTW, I did ohm them out after taking them off, and they are still good. I'm keeping them just in case... LOL

I also got the drivers side O2 sensor off today. What a mess..... the connector was melted, missing its clip and the weathersafe boot. It was ziptied together..... Rolling Eyes SO for now, i put another boot on it and had to ziptie it to make sure it doesn't come loose. Also, the sensor body was loose.... the sensor was screwed in all the way, but where it was stamped together, it was actually rattling around. That couldn't be good.

Since I have 2 new Denso sensors in it the exhaust tone has changed a bit I think. It sounds a bit louder and a bit more..... how do i put it.... you notice the cam more, and its not as quiet through the muffler. It revs smoother, and cruises down the road better than when I first bought it. I got on it a few times and noticed that my smoke out of the tailpipes is all but gone.... if there was any, i couldn't see it. It always let out a good puff of smoke when first getting into it, and then would clean up. It doesn't seem to do that anymore. We'll see if its running as good as I think it is tonight. Smile

And Mikey, yeah it does feel pretty good. After working on the T-bird for so long and not being able to solve seemingly simple issues, it makes me feel pretty confident when i take a car that had issues like this one and fix the issues to make it perform. I guess I should just stay away from forced induction for a while... Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Figured out my random Miss..   Figured out my random Miss.. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 8:08 am

Your car probably sounds better because its firing on all 8 Laughing

Good job, big boi.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Figured out my random Miss..   Figured out my random Miss.. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Figured out my random Miss..
Page 1 of 1