Wisconsin Street and Track
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

snow tires for the stang

Go down 
+3
Fuckin Schiller!!
240sxguy
blackmage
7 posters
AuthorMessage
blackmage
Legit

snow tires for the stang Empty
PostSubject: snow tires for the stang   snow tires for the stang Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 4:56 pm

anyone have a lot of snow tire experience? I ran blizzak WS50's for a while, 205/60/15 i think they were, and they worked awesome on the stang. Last winter i had to get new tires and i went with general altimax ones and personally i thought they sucked on it. they tracked well in deeper snow, but could not get the stang moving. I'm looking at the WS60's now, and I was wondering if they are pretty comparable to the ws50's?

I also have a set of stock 16" rims, do you think a size change to the 225/55/16 would net me any gain in snow performance? Obviously skinnier is better for snow, but I was just curious if anyone had opinions on this.
Back to top Go down
240sxguy
Legit

PostSubject: Re: snow tires for the stang   snow tires for the stang Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 9:05 pm

I have a set of the WS50s or 60s out in my shed. I put them on my 240sx and now on my maxima. Incredible the difference they make. I have a set of blizzaks for the magnum too. Odds are I will stick with them when it comes time for a new set.
Back to top Go down
Fuckin Schiller!!
Legit
Fuckin Schiller!!

PostSubject: Re: snow tires for the stang   snow tires for the stang Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 10:19 pm

I had 245/45r17 Dunlop winter sports on my 04 mustang gt. they worked really really well but I blew them off really quick. I also had blizzak ws60's on my celica, don't remember the size but I think they worked even better.
Back to top Go down
XSFTLBS
Legit
XSFTLBS

PostSubject: Re: snow tires for the stang   snow tires for the stang Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 12:24 am

I've used Goodyear Eagle Ultragrip GW-3's before with great results. I drove through the record snowfall a few years back every single day no matter how nasty the roads were, and never had issues. Most of the local law enforcement agencies use them, so that is good enough for me.
Back to top Go down
Tusk
Legit
Tusk

PostSubject: Re: snow tires for the stang   snow tires for the stang Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 1:42 pm

Try the Blizzak LM series. I've ran the WS for a few years, but came across a deal I couldn't pass up on the LMs. They are more performance based and Z rated. The are MUCH more stable at higher speeds and overall . Hopefully t wihis is the last winter the GTO will be a daily driver, but I'd get them again in a heartbeat. This will be my fourth season running them.
Back to top Go down
240sxguy
Legit

PostSubject: Re: snow tires for the stang   snow tires for the stang Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 1:44 pm

I have the LM's on the magnum, that's it! Nice tires.
Back to top Go down
blackmage
Legit

PostSubject: Re: snow tires for the stang   snow tires for the stang Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 2:43 pm

240sxguy wrote:
I have a set of the WS50s or 60s out in my shed. I put them on my 240sx and now on my maxima. Incredible the difference they make. I have a set of blizzaks for the magnum too. Odds are I will stick with them when it comes time for a new set.

Have you tried any others? I definitely loved my Blizzaks, so I am probably going back to them this winter. Maybe try to sell my altimax's

Fuckin Schiller!! wrote:
I had 245/45r17 Dunlop winter sports on my 04 mustang gt. they worked really really well but I blew them off really quick. I also had blizzak ws60's on my celica, don't remember the size but I think they worked even better.

Luckily i have a coupe extra sets of rims so I dont have to worry about killing them in the summer.

StrokedZ wrote:
I've used Goodyear Eagle Ultragrip GW-3's before with great results. I drove through the record snowfall a few years back every single day no matter how nasty the roads were, and never had issues. Most of the local law enforcement agencies use them, so that is good enough for me.

what did you have them on?

Tusk wrote:
Try the Blizzak LM series. I've ran the WS for a few years, but came across a deal I couldn't pass up on the LMs. They are more performance based and Z rated. The are MUCH more stable at higher speeds and overall . Hopefully t wihis is the last winter the GTO will be a daily driver, but I'd get them again in a heartbeat. This will be my fourth season running them.

Not sure if i really need z rated tires though haha. are they supposed to performan better in the snow than their counterpart WS's though?
Back to top Go down
240sxguy
Legit

PostSubject: Re: snow tires for the stang   snow tires for the stang Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 2:47 pm

I have the LM's on my wife's dodge magnum during the winter. Great tires. Drove through a foot of snow up north without a single problem a couple years back.
Back to top Go down
blackmage
Legit

PostSubject: Re: snow tires for the stang   snow tires for the stang Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 2:50 pm

240sxguy wrote:
I have the LM's on my wife's dodge magnum during the winter. Great tires. Drove through a foot of snow up north without a single problem a couple years back.

yea can't argue with those tires. I use to be able to push snow no problem with the stang, but once i got the altimax's, i just spin, cannot get grip for crap. once im moving though the tires rock. i can kick it sideways at 40 and still have complete control. So no objections with those when the car is losing control, which is a plus. But if you can't get moving from a stop sign, it becomes a small issue haha.
Back to top Go down
240sxguy
Legit

PostSubject: Re: snow tires for the stang   snow tires for the stang Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 2:54 pm

I hear that man!
Back to top Go down
XSFTLBS
Legit
XSFTLBS

PostSubject: Re: snow tires for the stang   snow tires for the stang Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 3:59 pm

I used the Goodyear on my 88 T-Bird.
Back to top Go down
Tusk
Legit
Tusk

PostSubject: Re: snow tires for the stang   snow tires for the stang Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 9:00 pm

Tusk wrote:

Not sure if i really need z rated tires though haha. are they supposed to performan better in the snow than their counterpart WS's though?[/quote]

BAH! There isn't snow on the ground all of the time Smile My understanding is that the WS is softer for ice, LM harder for snow. I work at St. Marys and I can deal with those hills from a dead stop without too much issue. The ONLY time I run into issues with the GTO is when I have clearance problems. The only time I got stuck last year is when I goosed it too much getting into the driveway and got on the neighbor's yard....... I had to dig out the diff because the tires couldn't touch Smile
snow tires for the stang 424463_10151369952215298_1909761905_n
Back to top Go down
Thunderballs
Legit

PostSubject: Re: snow tires for the stang   snow tires for the stang Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 9:02 pm

I've never had snow tires. Daily drive my lightning one winter with 285/45/18's and never had a problem.

Maybe I should give them a shot.
Back to top Go down
STiedVR4Guy
Legit
STiedVR4Guy

PostSubject: Re: snow tires for the stang   snow tires for the stang Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 10:29 pm

Nokian snow tires. Best winter tires you can buy.
Back to top Go down
XSFTLBS
Legit
XSFTLBS

PostSubject: Re: snow tires for the stang   snow tires for the stang Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 10:32 pm

Hakkapalita??
Back to top Go down
STiedVR4Guy
Legit
STiedVR4Guy

PostSubject: Re: snow tires for the stang   snow tires for the stang Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 11:21 pm

StrokedZ wrote:
Hakkapalita??

That is one version of it yes.
Back to top Go down
XSFTLBS
Legit
XSFTLBS

PostSubject: Re: snow tires for the stang   snow tires for the stang Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 11:28 pm

AH. Okay. I've never used anything but those Goodyears, and it was a pretty good experience. I had a buddie who swore by hakkapalitas years ago.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: snow tires for the stang   snow tires for the stang Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

snow tires for the stang
Page 1 of 1