Wisconsin Street and Track
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A Learning expeirance.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
PoZeR
Legit
PoZeR

A Learning expeirance. Empty
PostSubject: A Learning expeirance.   A Learning expeirance. Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 4:45 pm

To start off with I have built many VW so called Hybrid engines but have yet to do much with a Subaru other than bolt on a turbo so this is all new to me and if I state something wrong or if someone has more input please feel free to jump in and help me out.

So I started out by ordering what was REFERED to as a Big port JDM head and I was very excited to think her a 207 head cheap awesome. Well this did not end up being the case only because of my lack of Subaru knowledge.
So the parts arrived.
The block is a refurb EJ25 semi closed deck block with Mahle forged 8.1:1 pistons, OEM forged crank and rods, Cosworth race bearings and ARP hardware. I know nothing to talk about but hey..

Here is where it gets interesting.
The person I’m dealing with is Jeremy at Outfront motorsports in Cali. They mainly build Sandrale motors for ralliyand fun, whatnot.
So he tells me he can hook me up that he has these awesome JDM big port heads and it would make a great addition to the block. So as stated before I think he is referring to 207 heads.
The heads arrive and they turn out to be a JDM 2.5RS NA heads and boy are the ports big I am not disappointed at all.
So far the most I can come up with based on markings on the heads are they are B type but I’m having a hard timing finding other heads with the same port shape to compare to. Jeremy stated he will have all the head info for me by Wednesday so I guess I will wait on that. Model year ect.

The casting is already gasket matched which I found odd until Kyle corrected me.
The head does have AVCS and the cams needed to be modded to make the cam sensor work.
The cams are from a 2007 Sti and other small variation needed to be made for this to work correctly like larger sensor O-rings. I will also require a breather adapter that they are kinding making a billet one for me.

Jeremy stated that they have completed 4 of these swaps into Sandrales and a dun buggy but never a street car this should be interesting.

Now I’m still taking in all this information myself and its a lot of tid bits of info I have gathered so I could be way off but I’m excited about trying something new.

A Learning expeirance. 1
A Learning expeirance. 2
A Learning expeirance. 3
A Learning expeirance. 4
A Learning expeirance. 5
Back to top Go down
overblown
Legit
overblown

PostSubject: Re: A Learning expeirance.   A Learning expeirance. Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 5:42 pm

nothing like the smell of fresh block in the morning.
Back to top Go down
240sxguy
Legit

PostSubject: Re: A Learning expeirance.   A Learning expeirance. Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 10:30 pm

What kinda CR are you going to see with those JDM heads? I doubt they gave that CR with the mahle pistons and tnat head combo. Looks pretty cool.

I hope to assemble my ej257 next week.

Evan
Back to top Go down
PoZeR
Legit
PoZeR

PostSubject: Re: A Learning expeirance.   A Learning expeirance. Icon_minitimeSat May 22, 2010 6:44 am

Pistons are 8.1:1 with the head its 9.1:1.
Back to top Go down
240sxguy
Legit

PostSubject: Re: A Learning expeirance.   A Learning expeirance. Icon_minitimeSat May 22, 2010 11:01 am

Damn!

Should be fantastic off boost. Ill be watching with interest.
Back to top Go down
PoZeR
Legit
PoZeR

PostSubject: Re: A Learning expeirance.   A Learning expeirance. Icon_minitimeSat May 22, 2010 12:30 pm

My tune I have now is for stock 9.5:1 and I made 302whp on 18psi.
I also forgot to state this is going to be for E85.
Back to top Go down
Overboosting
Admin
Overboosting

PostSubject: Re: A Learning expeirance.   A Learning expeirance. Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 2:02 am

Nice dude E85 ftw!
Back to top Go down
240sxguy
Legit

PostSubject: Re: A Learning expeirance.   A Learning expeirance. Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 8:09 am

You interested in a crower stage 2 cam/valvetrain setup? PM me if so.
Back to top Go down
PoZeR
Legit
PoZeR

PostSubject: Re: A Learning expeirance.   A Learning expeirance. Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 8:17 am

Man if these cams didn’t need to be machined to work in this head I would totally get em lol. Sad
Back to top Go down
240sxguy
Legit

PostSubject: Re: A Learning expeirance.   A Learning expeirance. Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 8:47 am

What machine work is needed? Now I am just plain curious.
Back to top Go down
PoZeR
Legit
PoZeR

PostSubject: Re: A Learning expeirance.   A Learning expeirance. Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 9:07 am

The keyway used by the cam sensor needs to be extended. Nothing big.

A Learning expeirance. Poncammod1
Back to top Go down
PoZeR
Legit
PoZeR

PostSubject: Re: A Learning expeirance.   A Learning expeirance. Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 6:51 am

Ok finally.

The heads were made for JDM Legacy only, the first year with AVCS.
Ports are larger than USDM STi but were designed for a higher air speed than the 207 heads with the large ports.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Learning expeirance.   A Learning expeirance. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Learning expeirance.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Wisconsin Street and Track :: Automotive Related :: Build Threads-
Jump to: