Wisconsin Street and Track
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

TPMS-less winter rims anyone?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

TPMS-less winter rims anyone? Empty
PostSubject: TPMS-less winter rims anyone?   TPMS-less winter rims anyone? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 4:26 pm

*bleh, long time no post*

As the subject states really, does anyone drive without their TPMS for the few months we see snow? Kinda redundant (and expensive) to keep swapping and reprograming between the seasons. Better question, does it even effect the car?

What stirred up my interest
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40987

p.s. I hate newer cars
Back to top Go down
Fuckin Schiller!!
Legit
Fuckin Schiller!!

PostSubject: Re: TPMS-less winter rims anyone?   TPMS-less winter rims anyone? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 4:28 pm

I remember reading on nasioc that lots of guys ran the winter months without them. the light will obviously be on without them, but as soon as they put their summer wheels with the TPMS back on the light went off after a few miles. it shouldn't cause any problems.

edit: there's also a different method for recognizing the sensors for each vehicle. for instance my Jeep, I can throw in new sensors on a different set of wheels and it will automatically learn them but on my Subaru I had to take it to the stealership and pay $50 to have the new sensors synced. so whether or not it will recognize them when you put the summer wheels back on is somewhat dependent on the car.
Back to top Go down
2jz-U-Ltr
Admin
2jz-U-Ltr

PostSubject: Re: TPMS-less winter rims anyone?   TPMS-less winter rims anyone? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 4:31 pm

Yes I drive my speed3 all summer and winter with no TPMS sensors.

It isn't worth the cost of buying more or swapping them. The only issue you will have is that annoying yellow light. Also, do you have an access port?? Every 3-6 months my check engine light comes on and gives me a code that states "there are codes displayed by another module". So basically the car throws a code for each TPMS sensor it doesn't read and eventually if you don't clear those codes from the ECU it then generously turns the check engine light on to tell you there are codes that you haven't checked. Other than that it's smooth sailing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TPMS-less winter rims anyone?   TPMS-less winter rims anyone? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 4:46 pm

Sweet deal then. The light doesn't bother me that much, nor have I really played around with the access port.

Peter, what size are you running? I'm looking at 16"ers on TireRack.
Back to top Go down
2jz-U-Ltr
Admin
2jz-U-Ltr

PostSubject: Re: TPMS-less winter rims anyone?   TPMS-less winter rims anyone? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 5:57 pm

I think my steelies are 16s with fat rubber. I'll check next time I go out to the garage and get back to you man
Back to top Go down
LLcoolJames
Legit
LLcoolJames

PostSubject: Re: TPMS-less winter rims anyone?   TPMS-less winter rims anyone? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 9:58 pm

If mazdas are the same as fords tpms, which im assumeing, we dont charge anything to reprogram them, it takes 5 seconds with the special tool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TPMS-less winter rims anyone?   TPMS-less winter rims anyone? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 10:13 pm

Yeah, but how much do you charge for mounting and balancing tires? An extra set of TPMS all around is a pretty penny already.
Back to top Go down
Tusk
Legit
Tusk

PostSubject: Re: TPMS-less winter rims anyone?   TPMS-less winter rims anyone? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 10:20 pm

Peter MS3 wrote:
The only issue you will have is that annoying yellow light.

Black electrical tape does wonders
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TPMS-less winter rims anyone?   TPMS-less winter rims anyone? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 1:37 pm

Finally went with General Altimax Arctics on steel w/o sensors from TireRack. Lutsen, MN, here I come!
Back to top Go down
HoosierDaddy
Legit

PostSubject: Re: TPMS-less winter rims anyone?   TPMS-less winter rims anyone? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 6:45 pm

you wont be disappointed with those tires. blizzaks are over rated!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TPMS-less winter rims anyone?   TPMS-less winter rims anyone? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 7:34 pm

nightrunner06 wrote:
you wont be disappointed with those tires. blizzaks are over rated!!!

Holy. Shit.

My ABS rarely kicked in, traction control was awesome, turning was amazing. I just got back from Tyrol Basin, amazing. My friend was concerned and wanted to take her FJ, but convinced her it'd be ok. I'm so going up to Lutsen, MN with this in February. Now I just need a snowboard rack...vtec stickers to offset the hp loss/gain.

balls.
Back to top Go down
Fuckin Schiller!!
Legit
Fuckin Schiller!!

PostSubject: Re: TPMS-less winter rims anyone?   TPMS-less winter rims anyone? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 7:40 pm

it's good to hear some personal opinions on those tires. I'm thinking about them for my Civic because they're a good amount cheaper than Blizzaks or Winter Sports.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TPMS-less winter rims anyone?   TPMS-less winter rims anyone? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 7:49 pm

It took tirerack.com two days to ship these out from IN FYI.
Back to top Go down
HoosierDaddy
Legit

PostSubject: Re: TPMS-less winter rims anyone?   TPMS-less winter rims anyone? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 7:53 pm

^^^^ yes same way i got them like 87 $ a piece
Back to top Go down
LLcoolJames
Legit
LLcoolJames

PostSubject: Re: TPMS-less winter rims anyone?   TPMS-less winter rims anyone? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 12:13 am

DavidESchiller wrote:
it's good to hear some personal opinions on those tires. I'm thinking about them for my Civic because they're a good amount cheaper than Blizzaks or Winter Sports.

what civic?
Back to top Go down
Fuckin Schiller!!
Legit
Fuckin Schiller!!

PostSubject: Re: TPMS-less winter rims anyone?   TPMS-less winter rims anyone? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 12:13 am

the one that I have now because going fast is too expensive lol
Back to top Go down
LLcoolJames
Legit
LLcoolJames

PostSubject: Re: TPMS-less winter rims anyone?   TPMS-less winter rims anyone? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 12:22 am

wheres the jeep?
Back to top Go down
Fuckin Schiller!!
Legit
Fuckin Schiller!!

PostSubject: Re: TPMS-less winter rims anyone?   TPMS-less winter rims anyone? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 3:14 am

I'll start a new thread to explain it once I'm not too lazy to take some pictures and stuff. it's a long story and I don't want to thread jack lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TPMS-less winter rims anyone?   TPMS-less winter rims anyone? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 10:41 am

I'm done with this thread anyways, hijack at will Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TPMS-less winter rims anyone?   TPMS-less winter rims anyone? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TPMS-less winter rims anyone?
Page 1 of 1