Wisconsin Street and Track
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Madison Area Technical College.

Go down 
+7
LLcoolJames
Disgustang
OJDAJUICEMAN
Overboosting
roguestatus
Fuckin Schiller!!
bigbird94
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
bigbird94
Legit
bigbird94

Madison Area Technical College. Empty
PostSubject: Madison Area Technical College.   Madison Area Technical College. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 3:56 pm

I have been thinking about dropping from the uw system and entering their Automotive Technology program.
Have any of you gone there or heard anything about them?
Just looking for some input.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
Fuckin Schiller!!
Legit
Fuckin Schiller!!

PostSubject: Re: Madison Area Technical College.   Madison Area Technical College. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 4:05 pm

I think there's probably at least a dozen people on here that go/have gone through that program. I'm not one of them lol but just wait, I'm sure you'll get your answers
Back to top Go down
roguestatus
Legit
roguestatus

PostSubject: Re: Madison Area Technical College.   Madison Area Technical College. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 4:10 pm

Talk to Overboosting
Back to top Go down
Overboosting
Admin
Overboosting

PostSubject: Re: Madison Area Technical College.   Madison Area Technical College. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 4:50 pm

Basically what you'll get out of it, is what your willing to put in. If you dont already know a whole lot about how cars work/working on them and your willing to pay attention and learn youll get alot out of it..
Back to top Go down
OJDAJUICEMAN
Legit
OJDAJUICEMAN

PostSubject: Re: Madison Area Technical College.   Madison Area Technical College. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 5:21 pm

I think its a good program. If you actually try and pay attention you will learn a bunch.
Back to top Go down
Disgustang
Legit
Disgustang

PostSubject: Re: Madison Area Technical College.   Madison Area Technical College. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 6:36 pm

What these two tools said....... Much like high school if you don't try to learn you won't. And on top of that there will not be someone pushing you to learn..... However there are lots of willing teachers to help if you want it.
Back to top Go down
LLcoolJames
Legit
LLcoolJames

PostSubject: Re: Madison Area Technical College.   Madison Area Technical College. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 6:58 pm

Im almost done with the program. I say finish UW first. If you go into the program its exactly what logan said, you will only get out of it the effort you put into it. I will say that for the most part. Ive learned more in the last few years working in the industry and on my own stuff than I did in the program. It is nice to learn why things do what they do.

To sum it all up: If you go, take it seriously. Most of the people in the program dont and it makes things worse for the others in the classes.
Back to top Go down
MikeyT
Legit
MikeyT

PostSubject: Re: Madison Area Technical College.   Madison Area Technical College. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 7:01 pm

What are you studying at the UW?

Mike
Back to top Go down
LLcoolJames
Legit
LLcoolJames

PostSubject: Re: Madison Area Technical College.   Madison Area Technical College. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 7:02 pm

Ill also add that about halfway through the program I decided that working on cars everyday was ruining my hobby. Which is why when im done at MATC im on my way to UW STOUT.
Back to top Go down
MikeyT
Legit
MikeyT

PostSubject: Re: Madison Area Technical College.   Madison Area Technical College. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 7:06 pm

^ Well that is because you are an edumacated fella!

Mike
Back to top Go down
LLcoolJames
Legit
LLcoolJames

PostSubject: Re: Madison Area Technical College.   Madison Area Technical College. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 7:08 pm

hells yeah
Back to top Go down
bigbird94
Legit
bigbird94

PostSubject: Re: Madison Area Technical College.   Madison Area Technical College. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 7:31 pm

MikeyT wrote:
What are you studying at the UW?

Mike

I am studying business management.

The problem I am having is that I really hate my classes because I simply do not have any interest in the topic. I feel like I am only here because I got good grades in High School and my counselers told me to get into a "real" school when i really cant see myself doing paperwork forever. I would really like to work as an automotive technician in a nice shop somewhere. Working on cars is really what I want to do.

I can understand how you only get out what you put in but im more curious about what you guys did when you got out i guess. Did you find work easily? Were the skills you picked up at MATC useful in your career? Or is it a big waste of money?
Back to top Go down
LLcoolJames
Legit
LLcoolJames

PostSubject: Re: Madison Area Technical College.   Madison Area Technical College. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 7:52 pm

Not a waste of money. I met most of my best friends at matc. But I guess that will be the case anytime you spend every class together for two years. I would try and get a part time summer job in a shop first. get a taste before you pull the trigger
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Madison Area Technical College.   Madison Area Technical College. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 8:39 pm

I went the other way than what you are thinking about doing. I spent 2 years at MATC in the mechanical design program, and felt i was wasting a huge amount of time. So i got into MSOE.
Back to top Go down
Blinker Fluid?
Legit
Blinker Fluid?

PostSubject: Re: Madison Area Technical College.   Madison Area Technical College. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 5:38 pm

definately try for a job in industry first and make sure it is something you can do every day. The career choice isn't for everyone. It is a good program to choose if you do decide it's what you want to pursue.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Madison Area Technical College.   Madison Area Technical College. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 9:13 pm

I know a few mechanics that are in there 40's and they always tell me its the worst job ever. I guess it depends on who you are or where your working though. Anyways bigbird, whatever road you go down i wish the best of luck to you. You're capable of anything you set your mind too. Plus your the biggest SMART ass i've ever met lol you can do it man.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Madison Area Technical College.   Madison Area Technical College. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 12:10 am

Im currently in the program at matc. like others said you get out what you put in. as for the industry a bunch of the techs i work with will tell me that you cant make good money doing it, but then i have a few guys from work that tell me if you work and stay focused its easy to make a decent living. the way i look at it if its something that you like and can stand doing everyday without it interfering with your hobbies, then go for it.
Back to top Go down
MikeyT
Legit
MikeyT

PostSubject: Re: Madison Area Technical College.   Madison Area Technical College. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 12:21 am

give your self some credit, your thinking about this stuff now before you get settled. I kind of like the idea that someone above said about getting your business degree first and then going back. The business side might really pay dividend when you perhaps your sick of or are tired and too beat up to work on them anymore and can start a shop of your own.

Mike
Back to top Go down
OJDAJUICEMAN
Legit
OJDAJUICEMAN

PostSubject: Re: Madison Area Technical College.   Madison Area Technical College. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 1:13 am

working on cars is shitty, no way around it. now can you make money? of course. here is some insight. if you wanna make money, go to a dealership. after working on the same cars over and over, you can get very fast and make good time. the con is you have to work on the same cars and warranty work is a bitch. all of the tech's at work tell me to quit when i can and that its all they know how to do and thats why they don't quit.
Back to top Go down
bigbird94
Legit
bigbird94

PostSubject: Re: Madison Area Technical College.   Madison Area Technical College. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 9:52 am

Thanks for the input everyone. I have not made up my mind yet but im starting to think I should just get my degree first, I can still go to matc after if I feel I want to go that route.
Back to top Go down
Disgustang
Legit
Disgustang

PostSubject: Re: Madison Area Technical College.   Madison Area Technical College. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 3:52 pm

No matter the job if you are not happy it will be shitty.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Madison Area Technical College.   Madison Area Technical College. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 3:55 pm

bigbird94 wrote:
Thanks for the input everyone. I have not made up my mind yet but im starting to think I should just get my degree first, I can still go to matc after if I feel I want to go that route.

Get the UW degree, test the job market and if you still do the MATC you can go full or part time.

I did MATC from '92 to '94. My youngest brother is off and on in the program there now. Just as everyone else said, you get out what you put into it.

I had a few instructors who needed a hammer blow to the head and a few that were awesome. It was a fun two years but then again I had been working in the field for two years before going so it was fun to learn newer technology but still see old theory taught.
Back to top Go down
Tusk
Legit
Tusk

PostSubject: Re: Madison Area Technical College.   Madison Area Technical College. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 8:02 pm

Finish UW first...... get that out of the way and under your belt. You can always do something different afterwards.
Back to top Go down
MikeyT
Legit
MikeyT

PostSubject: Re: Madison Area Technical College.   Madison Area Technical College. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 8:04 pm

Plus, the chicks are hotter at the UW. I'm just sayin! Twisted Evil

Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Madison Area Technical College.   Madison Area Technical College. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 8:07 pm

MikeyT wrote:
Plus, the chicks are hotter at the UW. I'm just sayin! Twisted Evil

Mike

This.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Madison Area Technical College.   Madison Area Technical College. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Madison Area Technical College.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next