Wisconsin Street and Track
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

questions for those of you who work out.

Go down 
+5
Tusk
MikeyT
roguestatus
240sxguy
Fuckin Schiller!!
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Fuckin Schiller!!
Legit
Fuckin Schiller!!

questions for those of you who work out. Empty
PostSubject: questions for those of you who work out.   questions for those of you who work out. Icon_minitimeSat Feb 12, 2011 5:09 am

Alright so I'm going tomorrow to see about a Princeton Club membership with a friend. I know nothing at all about good exercise habits because I'm a lazy slob of a teenager but I've got nothing but time and would like to try to cut down my gut. I'm 5'11" and like 205lbs and over the next few months I'd like to get down to around 175-180. I don't hope to get crazy ripped or anything *cough*Dwight*cough* lol just want my pants to fit better.

I'm just wondering what some of you would recommend as a good routine to go with. I'm not good at any ball sports as I have shitty coordination and eyesight, and the only things I did in school were cross country running and skiing. I'm also looking for better eating habits but the problem there is that I dislike most vegetables and anything whole grain among most other health foods.
Back to top Go down
240sxguy
Legit

PostSubject: Re: questions for those of you who work out.   questions for those of you who work out. Icon_minitimeSat Feb 12, 2011 9:31 am

Go to princeton club then buy bigger pants. Smile

Good luck man! Sometimes the best way to deal with vegtables etc... is to have them prepared the way you like them. Don't forget fruit!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: questions for those of you who work out.   questions for those of you who work out. Icon_minitimeSat Feb 12, 2011 10:23 am

Are you just looking to lose weight? Or are you looking to lose weight & build muscle?

If you're only looking to lose weight, cardio exercises like running, swimming, kickboxing, etc., basicly anything that gets your heart rate up and makes you sweat. Along with a better diet. Cut down on the chips, pop, fries, pizza, shit like that. I'm not saying to cut it out totally, but next time you want a soda pop, get a diet flavored green tea. You'll still get the caffeine kick, but in a form of something good for you.

If you're looking to lose weight & tone up, weightlifting with lighter weights & more reps is excellent. It will get your heart rate up, you'll sweat, & build muscle tone/definition. Again, a better diet too. With weightlifting, high protein foods & protien supplements are your friend.

If you're going to join a gym, ask a personal trainer to guide you to get started. He/she will be able to get you setup. Everyone is different. What works for me, probably won't work for you.

One thing you have to keep in mind, it's a commitment. You have to go at it with the mindset you're going to do this shit & stick to it. I lift weights 4 days a week. I split it up with two days heavy lifting for gains & two days high rep, lower weight for endurance. This works for me & enjoy my workouts. There are some days where I just wanna lay on the couch & watch TV, but I kick myself in the ass and get to it. You'll probably have to re-arrange your schedule a little too. Unless a true emergency comes up & you really can't make it to the gym that day, you have to stick to you're program. If you start skipping days just because you don't feel like it, you'll lose interest and fail.

Also remember, you're not gonna lose the weight or tone up overnight, not even in a week or two. It's gonna take time, but if you commit to it, I'll gurantee by mid-summer you'll be close to, if not at your goal.

Hope this helps.

Back to top Go down
roguestatus
Legit
roguestatus

PostSubject: Re: questions for those of you who work out.   questions for those of you who work out. Icon_minitimeSat Feb 12, 2011 12:45 pm

1twisted6 wrote:
Are you just looking to lose weight? Or are you looking to lose weight & build muscle?

If you're only looking to lose weight, cardio exercises like running, swimming, kickboxing, etc., basicly anything that gets your heart rate up and makes you sweat. Along with a better diet. Cut down on the chips, pop, fries, pizza, shit like that. I'm not saying to cut it out totally, but next time you want a soda pop, get a diet flavored green tea. You'll still get the caffeine kick, but in a form of something good for you.

Cardio is for sure the way to go.

Definitely cut out all that stuff twisted mentioned. Eat stuff like chicken and turkey. Lean meats is what you want. Eat often in small amounts. Things like granola and nuts make for great in between meal snacks. Fish is super healthy too. Cut out simple carbs, things like sugary food, soda, and white bread. Make sure to eat breakfast in the morning, 3 eggs gives you plenty of protein for the day.
Back to top Go down
MikeyT
Legit
MikeyT

PostSubject: Re: questions for those of you who work out.   questions for those of you who work out. Icon_minitimeSat Feb 12, 2011 3:13 pm

I work out at the Princton club and do weights and cardio. If you go to the Princton club east, ask for Arik, he is really good trainer.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: questions for those of you who work out.   questions for those of you who work out. Icon_minitimeSat Feb 12, 2011 7:07 pm

There is too much left out in what your goals are to even start evaluating what u need to start to do and do it safely.

Remember these five things.

1. Skinny/thin does NOT mean healthy. There are right and wrong ways to lose body fat. The slower u go the better off ur body will be, now and in the long run. There is no easy pill to take or miracle diet. 99% of supplements out there are bogus.

2.Diet is 90% the fight in anything you do with ur body. Be it body building or just the local gym rat wanting to lose 10lbs. Twisted laid out the basics pretty good. The food u put into ur body is the fuel for ur engine. Again depends on what ur goals are.

3.Cardio alone does nothing. So many times i see these who bag cougars at the gym just banging out cardio for over 1 hour a day thinkin its going to tighten their box up and they will never venture over to the free weights. Weight training goes hand in hand. U cant do cardio with out weight training and expect results.

4. You're in no way going to build muscle and lose body fat at the same time. It's not in our genetic make-up. No matter how much u think its going to work, it wont. Pick one or the other. Bulk up and add muscle mass, or slim and tone. That's it. There is no other options when we are talking about the way we look. There is a huge difference between beach muscles and real strength ie ur workouts. If u want to bulk up and then cut that would be a good way to go about it. Ur body is going to start eating muscle first if u are dieting. Its going to happen. It's just how slow and safely u do it will determine how much muscle u will lose.

5.That this will need to become a lifestyle with u if u expect to keep the weight (body fat) off. Slacking is not an option. The human body is the laziest pos in the animal kingdom. It will get use to bullshit workouts and u will see zero resuls and become discouraged. Educate urself first before even stepping into a gym. Talk to personal trainers, read books watch youtube vids. U need to get excited about working out. For example i've always been a huge pro wrestling fan. Its what made me interested in working out in the first place as a kid. Ive always enjoyed the showmanship and chrisma that wrestling entertainment had to offer. Being larger then life. And loving the attention and spotlight, never blending into the crowd. Make this shit become part of ur life. Otherwise U WILL FAIL!! Motivate urself in ur own way and never settle.

L3THAL owns the gym i go to and is my workout partner (and im sure will comment on this if he sees it). He is one of the most knowledgeable people i have ever met on the subject and is only one of two people that i look up to in life. Ive learned alot in a short time from just listening to what he has to say and do. As in life befriend people in the gym that u can learn from. Ask questions and listen to the people that OBVIOUSLY know what they are talking about. Lead from the front.

Hope this helps
Back to top Go down
Tusk
Legit
Tusk

PostSubject: Re: questions for those of you who work out.   questions for those of you who work out. Icon_minitimeSat Feb 12, 2011 9:01 pm

Like others have said before....You have to accept the fact that it will be a lifestyle change, it might be the toughest part. Talk, read, and develop a good BS filter.
Back to top Go down
franky.C
Legit
franky.C

PostSubject: Re: questions for those of you who work out.   questions for those of you who work out. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 13, 2011 12:34 am

getting a good night Sleep (at least 7-8 hrs.) is vital.

look forward to working out, don't make it a chore.
Back to top Go down
Fuckin Schiller!!
Legit
Fuckin Schiller!!

PostSubject: Re: questions for those of you who work out.   questions for those of you who work out. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 13, 2011 1:11 am

thanks all you guys for the input. I honestly am pretty excited to do this and I do plan on working with a personal trainer, so Mikey, I'm going to speak with the guy you recommended at Princeton Club. the diet will definitely be the hardest part for me but I went to the grocery store today and did a pretty good job of avoiding the usual sweets and magic cock pony food.

thank you Dwight especially for the small book lol, I'll try to respond to yours in the order you wrote it so:

1, this is definitely something I'm already aware of. I have bad acid reflux and constant heartburn that I know can get better with an improved diet which is a part of the reason I ultimately decided it was time to get into shape. I used to have a magnet with all of the foods I should avoid to keep the heartburn down that was stuck on the fridge, I'll have to try to figure out where that went.

2, I think has already been covered. but like I said I just tried to avoid the usual magic cock pony food today and went for healthier stuff and more complete meals, so I'm going to try to keep to three meals a day with healthy small snacks instead of just constant snacking and no real meals.

3 is something I wasn't really aware of so I will try to spend time with weights as well.

4, as of right now I'm just hoping to slim down more than build muscle for the time being.

5, this is something I've wanted to take on for a while so at the moment I feel motivated and excited to get started, I can only hope I continue to feel that way once I do get going.

my goal is strictly getting rid of body fat to begin with. when I got my drivers license I was the same height I am now but weighed 175 and I'd like to get back down to there over time.
Back to top Go down
Disgustang
Legit
Disgustang

PostSubject: Re: questions for those of you who work out.   questions for those of you who work out. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 13, 2011 10:44 am

another thing that i did when i worked out and it worked well was to do about 20-30min of weights first to warm the muscles and burn the quick easy sugers off then do cardo to burn the fat but only do 20-30 mins there. when your doing only cardio feel free to do an hour. what i was told is that, in general, if you do weights first then do cardio after if you do more then that 20-30 min you will burn the muscle tissue that you just tore in your lifting. dwight and L3THAL can correct me if im wrong.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: questions for those of you who work out.   questions for those of you who work out. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 13, 2011 1:30 pm

i have drinks that i take pretty regularly keep me pretty well motivated and help with the diet aspect of it, i still eat all the shit i want but im more of a mid sized person anyways, im fat with decent muscle im 5'11 210 also but it depends on the season during the summer i will drop to 180 like its nothing but in winter i gain alot of weight, i just keep the reps increasing and drink lots of protein and other stuff lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: questions for those of you who work out.   questions for those of you who work out. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2011 10:58 am

AddictedToBoost wrote:
i have drinks that i take pretty regularly keep me pretty well motivated and help with the diet aspect of it, i still eat all the shit i want but im more of a mid sized person anyways, im fat with decent muscle im 5'11 210 also but it depends on the season during the summer i will drop to 180 like its nothing but in winter i gain alot of weight, i just keep the reps increasing and drink lots of protein and other stuff lol

If ur eating all the shit u want then that's not dieting. Rolling Eyes

If you're trying to cut weight drinking protein shakes is not something i would recommend.No

^Tusk said it best. Start developing ur bs meter fast. This world is full of bench racers just like the car world. Weed out the advice from the clowns in the gym u might see 3 times a week strutting around like roosters and talking a big game with nothing to show for it.

For cardio try sustaining ur target heart rate for 20-30 min. For target heart rates just ask ur local trainer. Changes by age. Again this is all up to u.

For weight training i would not recommend jumping into heavy weight low reps. Ur leigaments are weak and so are ur muscles. Ur going to end up hurting urself. Just get a trainer. Best advice i can give u.

Sounds like u are motivated. Good for u! Now u just need to be educated. The trainers can help u with that. Ur goals are very achievable and as long as u keep seeing results u will make it. It's hard work but once into it you will become hooked.
Back to top Go down
Petes71cam
Legit
Petes71cam

PostSubject: Re: questions for those of you who work out.   questions for those of you who work out. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2011 11:33 am

^^^+1...and it's true, a body in motion stays in motion. I have so much more energy when I went. Not sure I'm doing it the right way, but I am trying to lose some weight before I go to the gym by cutting down on calorie intake. Otherwise my right knee kills me. So far I am down 16 lbs, only 65 more to go.(i quit smoking in jun. 09 and really packed it on.)LOL.. My mom has always been a picture of health and she told me to focus on 10 lbs at a time. I was like wtf? 10 lbs ain't shit. She said really? Next time you go to the grocery store check out what a 10lb bag of potatoes look like. But anyway it always helped me to work out with someone. That way you motivate each other. My wife is my motivater, always on my ass. I think it the lose fat, bigger penis thing. Shocked Anyway good luck.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: questions for those of you who work out.   questions for those of you who work out. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2011 12:00 pm

I also just resigned up for the Princeton Club so this was helpful for me to...I pretty much want to bulk up tho...i just never have been able to stay motivated enough to keep going.

Honestly my favorite part of working out right now is being able to listen to music for an hour uninterrupted....which is sad. Also Schiller, Mikey, Tim and myself all have memberships there so maybe we can do some type of workout partner bullshit...i heard that helps. Anyways, thanks for all the advice everyone.
Back to top Go down
2jz-U-Ltr
Admin
2jz-U-Ltr

PostSubject: Re: questions for those of you who work out.   questions for those of you who work out. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2011 12:44 pm

I thought about Princeton club but didn't sign up because my schedule is different than everyone elses and I will NEVER be able to motivate my old fat self to go alone.
Back to top Go down
Fuckin Schiller!!
Legit
Fuckin Schiller!!

PostSubject: Re: questions for those of you who work out.   questions for those of you who work out. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2011 3:57 pm

well I went back today and officially signed up, think I also got a new job today too. I have a meeting next monday with that Arik guy so until then I'm just going to try to do some stretching and running every night so that I'm at least a little bit less out of shape when that comes around. thanks for all of the advice guys.
Back to top Go down
Tusk
Legit
Tusk

PostSubject: Re: questions for those of you who work out.   questions for those of you who work out. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2011 4:15 pm

Good luck on your new journey!
Back to top Go down
Fuckin Schiller!!
Legit
Fuckin Schiller!!

PostSubject: Re: questions for those of you who work out.   questions for those of you who work out. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2011 5:29 pm

thanks! I really hope it lasts lol.
Back to top Go down
240sxguy
Legit

PostSubject: Re: questions for those of you who work out.   questions for those of you who work out. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2011 5:32 pm

Props to you dude! Keep us updated on the progress, I am sure the locals will call you out if you flake on your routine!
Back to top Go down
Fuckin Schiller!!
Legit
Fuckin Schiller!!

PostSubject: Re: questions for those of you who work out.   questions for those of you who work out. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2011 5:37 pm

thanks, I shall. and I hope so lol. half of the reason I'm so open about all of this is because I figure that way people can hound me about it if I'm still a fatty in a few months haha.
Back to top Go down
Tusk
Legit
Tusk

PostSubject: Re: questions for those of you who work out.   questions for those of you who work out. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2011 6:09 pm

^That is a good way to go about it actually.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: questions for those of you who work out.   questions for those of you who work out. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 1:15 am

Wow, how did I miss this topic? Well I'm not going to beat a dead horse, but I will point out a few things that may be over looked or missed.

1st and foremost - you need to do this for you, period. Not anyone else. You have to want it, taste it, and crave it. Like others have said - this is a commitment, but it is a good commitment. Not like being married or having to pay back a mortgage, lol. It isn't something that you do once in a while. If it were easy, everyone would be doing it, right? Anyways, the hardest getting started is the 1st 2 weeks. Why? Because you will experience soreness and unfamiliar muscle fatigue which will wear you out. I will be straight up with you - It will suck. But once you get passed that and get into your groove, you will start seeing results. Once you see results, it will be self motivation and will automatically push you to accel.

2nd your diet, if you eat crap - you look like crap. If you eat good - you look good. You can spend 6 days a week in the gym and work your butt off, but if you ain't eating right, then you are wasting your time.

From the little bit that I know about you so far, I would say 1st you start with measurments, we figure out your BMI (Body Mass Index) - which will be in the neighborhood of 28.6 (which is considered overweight for your height and approx. age.) Then we figure out your BMR (Basil Metabiloc Rate) which will tell me how many calories you need to maintain where your at, and I can then figure out how much you are burning for calories each day, which I am guessing isn't as many as you are taking in. We then adjust your diet from there.

I would recommend a somewhat aggressive cardio routine, along with strength training that would be set up more like an aggressive circuit in order to prepare your body for the stress it going to start to go through physically. Once you get some endurance built up, to where you don't get gassed as easliy, then I would focus you more on a weight training routine that will not only drastically change your strength, but then will start bringing out muscle definition. Once you can cut down your body fat % and get leaner and more defined, then I would recommend a bulking stage if that is your goal at that point. But I would def. work with what you have 1st.

Let me know how the thing at the princeton club works. If your not happy let me know, and please don't tell me you signed up at some ridiculous rate of like $50+ each month. You don't need to pay for the racket ball, bball, pool, and all the other crap. You are looking to get in shape not swim with phelps. Arnold and Lou didn't need a basketball courts. lol

Ok I'm done........
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: questions for those of you who work out.   questions for those of you who work out. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2011 11:48 am

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: questions for those of you who work out.   questions for those of you who work out. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 12:02 pm

LMAO
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: questions for those of you who work out.   questions for those of you who work out. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

questions for those of you who work out.
Page 1 of 1