Wisconsin Street and Track
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody

Go down 
+5
408 4 Eye
347 LX
Blown91LX
Disgustang
XSFTLBS
9 posters
AuthorMessage

Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody Empty
PostSubject: Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody   Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody Icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 4:03 am

This is how I drop an engine out of a 4th gen with out a car lift. This is all done using my 1997 LT1 Pontiac Firebird and most if not all the info here will transfer over to all 4th gen F-bodies.

Well first you will want to get all four corners on jack stands and once it is up in the air go ahead and disconnect the battery.

Then go ahead and drain the coolant system (note if it is still hot skip this and start somewhere else), you can also drain out the oil.

Then you can start with the wiring harness. I would start on the drivers side and work my towards the passenger side seeing as how it all stems from over there any ways. Know that the harness in the engine bay also goes down the back and side of the motor so make sure that you get all of the harness.
Note some of the LS1 boys find it easier to take the alternator off to get that part of the harness out and LT1 peoples would benefit from taking off the whole coil assembly off to have a spot to put a chain when you pick it off the cradle

If your car has ac you will have to either A disconnect the compressor from the motor or B disconnect the lines from the compressor. But if you do disconnect the lines from the compressor you will have to drain your ac or it will drain when you disconnect the lines and if/when you disconnect the lines you will want to make sure you find a way to cap them off to keep the moisture out.

Now I would go ahead and take out the radiator and the fans, you can do this by taking out the 3 bolts in the rad support and disconnecting the hoses from the engine, heater core (auto trans coolant lines), oil cooler lines (if you have one) and over flow bottle.

Now go ahead an disconnect the fuel lines and vacuum lines and throttle body cables.

Note LT1 folks will want to take the steering fluid reservoir from the wheel well and hang it off the motor.

Now its time for the suspension and steering fun.

First disconnect the steering knuckle from the rack.
Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody Ltsteering

And you should be able to take the lower part free from the bottom half, if not go ahead and take the bolt out for the part that goes to the column.
Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody Ltswap

Than you can focus on the front susp., I start with the upper ball joint.
Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody Ltballjoint

Than the part of the shock that is mounted to the lower control arm.
Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody Ltshockmount

Than disconnect the sway bar from the body.
Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody Ltswaybar

Than disconnect the brake lines from the abs control mod.
Note I no longer have that part on my car but you get the idea.
Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody Ltbrakelines

Go ahead and disconnect the abs sensors and wiring off the craddle.

Now you will need to take off the exhaust, drive shaft, torque arm, trans cross member and disconnect the shifter linkage/shifter. You will want to support the back of the trans when removing the cross member.

Now get yourself out the cherry picker and some floor jacks. Lower the car down on the floor jack to lower the car all the way down on the cradle leaving the jack under the cradle. Than take out the 6 bolts that hold the cradle to the body. Note a trans jack works awesome for this.

Now attach the cherry picker to the radiator support and lift the car up.
Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody Ltonthepicker

Note this will tweak the lip on the rad support a little but can be fixed with a BFH or you could use a thick strap to avoid this all together.

Now lift the car up with the picker until it looks like this.
Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody Ltontheground

Than support the car with large jack stands.
Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody Ltonstands
You might need to use concrete blocks under the stands to get the car to sit up high enough to get the engine out.

Than get the picker out of the way and wheel the motor out.
Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody Ltshowoff

And there you have it your engine and trans is now out. There might be some different steps for different models but it should just be this simple.

Back to top Go down
XSFTLBS
Legit
XSFTLBS

PostSubject: Re: Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody   Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody Icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 4:42 am

Awesome write-up. You forgot the part about sacrificing a small child to the volcano gods for pulling an LT1 OUT of a car. I hear that they are only ever supposed to be put IN cars.
Back to top Go down
Disgustang
Legit
Disgustang

PostSubject: Re: Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody   Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody Icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 9:52 pm

great write up MT

Blackout wrote:
Awesome write-up. You forgot the part about sacrificing a small child to the volcano gods for pulling an LT1 OUT of a car. I hear that they are only ever supposed to be put IN cars.

your thinking LS not LT
Back to top Go down
Blown91LX
Legit
Blown91LX

PostSubject: Re: Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody   Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody Icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 10:52 pm

Instead of lifting the car with the cherry picker. Why not get the car high enough with blocks and jackstands, then lower the engine with the cherry picker? Seems like it would cause less damage.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody   Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody Icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 11:04 pm

The only damage you would do is a little tweak in the lip of the Rad support and like said a strap would fix that but a couple smacks with a rubber hammer and you are good to go.

Trying to get the car up that high with a floor Jack would be all but impossible that and the angle would not allow you to use the cp to lower the engine through the car.
Back to top Go down
347 LX
Legit
347 LX

PostSubject: Re: Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody   Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody Icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 11:41 pm

I just recently dropped the whole engine and transmission out of the bottom of a lincoln LS, and we had the whole car jacked up about as high as you do in that pic. We used the cherry picker to drop the engine down, and had a floor jack under the tranny to assist. Went in and out with ease.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody   Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 12:08 am

347 LX wrote:
I just recently dropped the whole engine and transmission out of the bottom of a lincoln LS, and we had the whole car jacked up about as high as you do in that pic. We used the cherry picker to drop the engine down, and had a floor jack under the tranny to assist. Went in and out with ease.
you need to have about 3 1/2 of clearance from the very bottom of the car to the floor to wheel the engine out.

Tell you what feel free to make another thread and take pics showing how you do it, and than people can choose for themselfs if they need to drop an engine from a 4th Gen Fbody .
Back to top Go down
408 4 Eye
Legit
408 4 Eye

PostSubject: Re: Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody   Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 12:34 am

Thought lt4's had the red intake?
Back to top Go down
Petes71cam
Legit
Petes71cam

PostSubject: Re: Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody   Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 12:37 am

great pics and instructions
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody   Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 4:12 am

408 4 Eye wrote:
Thought lt4's had the red intake?
Yes, but the one on my engine is just a red Edelbrock.
Back to top Go down
bigbird94
Legit
bigbird94

PostSubject: Re: Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody   Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 12:10 pm

nice write up.
Back to top Go down
HoosierDaddy
Legit

PostSubject: Re: Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody   Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 12:39 pm

ive never had to drop my engine...........i did the bolt ins, while it was in the car.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody   Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody Icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 3:59 am

Good thread!!! I will def. be using this as i will be pulling mine out soon for the stroker motor.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody   Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody Icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 11:53 am

sprayed-z28 wrote:
Good thread!!! I will def. be using this as i will be pulling mine out soon for the stroker motor.

not a bad idea....but have you looked into LSx's?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody   Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody Icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 2:25 pm

38394Z28 wrote:
sprayed-z28 wrote:

not realy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody   Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody Icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 2:28 pm

sprayed-z28 wrote:
38394Z28 wrote:
sprayed-z28 wrote:

not realy.
Good for you
Back to top Go down
Disgustang
Legit
Disgustang

PostSubject: Re: Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody   Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody Icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 10:06 pm

mtperformance wrote:
sprayed-z28 wrote:
38394Z28 wrote:
sprayed-z28 wrote:

not realy.
Good for you

really? I got a nice LS1 4L60E harness pcm drive shaft radiator and fans i'll sell ya
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody   Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 3:25 am

brngrhd wrote:
mtperformance wrote:
sprayed-z28 wrote:
38394Z28 wrote:
sprayed-z28 wrote:

not realy.
Good for you

really? I got a nice LS1 4L60E harness pcm drive shaft radiator and fans i'll sell ya

Yea. I would have prob thought about it if i didnt spend an arm and a leg for the motor i got laying in the garage now.
Back to top Go down
Poncho Racing

Poncho Racing

PostSubject: Re: Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody   Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 9:19 pm

Very nice write up, you can use this method for a lot of cars it makes it a lot easier to work on shit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody   Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dropping a engine and trans from a 4th Gen Fbody
Page 1 of 1