Wisconsin Street and Track
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Pontiac guys

Go down 
+5
Vanilla Gorilla
OJDAJUICEMAN
408 4 Eye
Blown91LX
ma70tt
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Pontiac guys - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pontiac guys   Pontiac guys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 10:39 am

mtperformance wrote:
408 4 Eye wrote:
I thought you just had to paint the valve covers gold and they were fast?

You are thinking of mopars

No, you paint Mopar's orange. Or replace them with cheesy chrome JC Whitney one's Laughing
Back to top Go down
408 4 Eye
Legit
408 4 Eye

PostSubject: Re: Pontiac guys   Pontiac guys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 11:02 am

I think I was thinking "olds 350 rocket" with gold valvecovers.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pontiac guys   Pontiac guys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 1:03 pm

Olds and buick had the 350 rocket lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pontiac guys   Pontiac guys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 1:08 pm

alright im sticking with my 68 firebird, It has a three speed on the floor and it is a High output
so stock it has 320 hp. Not sure if it has a pos? But i know my 72 is not a pos, so maybe leave 72 as is except i have a 81 Z28 with a pos. So put a pos in the 72 and rebuild the 68.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pontiac guys   Pontiac guys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 11:33 am

mtperformance wrote:
If you are not a memeber of a Pontiac become one, like http://hardcorepontiacs.com/forum/ or whatever. Places like this will be able to give you more info than a general forum.

http://www.Performanceyears.com would be a better choice. But be prepared, a lot of these guys are traditionalists and stuck in the 60's like the Mopar bunch Very Happy

But there are quite a few there that push the envelope.

domestic killer wrote:
Well what i have is a 68 firebird with a 350 HO, and a 72 Formula with a 400 in it and i was wondering which one i should dump some money into? and don't tell me to buy a SBC id rather stab myself in the eye.

The 400 is the better choice for power.

1. The 326, 350, 389, and 400's have the same stroke.
2. The 400 allows you to put bigger valves in it.
3. The 400 can be made into a 455 with a crank and piston swap.
4. More cubes is better Very Happy

Terminator wrote:
Do not procharge a pontiac whatever u do.

Really? There are quite a few procharged and turbo charged "traditional Pontiac" engines on the forums making some darn good power.

MikeyT wrote:
Actually it doesn't matter. If memory serves me the 350 and 400 are the same blocks. The only difference is stroke. If it was me and it was built for power. I would go with the 400. More cubes. I would get a solid built bottom end, custom grind cam and a decent set of edelbrock aluminum heads. If your a stickler for original and don't want to buy aluminum heads, the pontiac stage IV heads are the hot ticket.

Mike

Same outside demisions, like all traditional Pontiac V8 blocks. The bore is different.

D-port heads (by far the most common) can produce around 450-500hp on a built 455. A bit less on a 400. The Edlebrock heads are a clone of the Ram Air IV (4) heads you speak of. They are reffered to as round port heads.

Here is a good example of each head:

Pontiac guys - Page 2 DSC03465

Round port on the top, D-port on the bottom.

Cast iron (stock) round ports are expensive to buy. Unless you are going for a numbers matching build go after market. I know a guy from Janesville that has a 798hp (on pump gas) engine with Kauffman aluminum block and heads. That car sits next to his friends car that has a 937hp (on pump gas) engine going in it. Both cars are naturally aspirated, the latter car will have the spray on it Smile And it will be sprayed HARD.
Back to top Go down
bigbird94
Legit
bigbird94

PostSubject: Re: Pontiac guys   Pontiac guys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 1:40 pm

^ good info
Back to top Go down
06evo9se

06evo9se

PostSubject: Re: Pontiac guys   Pontiac guys - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

put a 4g63 in it, hahaha jk buddy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pontiac guys   Pontiac guys - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pontiac guys
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2