Wisconsin Street and Track
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro.

Go down 
+14
Vanilla Gorilla
Fuckin Schiller!!
LLcoolJames
Disgustang
overblown
MikeyT
240sxguy
2jz-U-Ltr
OJDAJUICEMAN
HoosierDaddy
ma70tt
STiedVR4Guy
bigbird94
XSFTLBS
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro.   Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 7:07 pm

Peaches wrote:
Where is James' I told you so post?

This makes me LMFAO.

MikeyT wrote:
Blackout wrote:
eeewwww..... carb....... LOL

Laugh at carbs all you want! My Coronet doesn't seem to miss many meets or need to be disassembled at the lot!

Mike

Yeah, that low-tech, 70's carb crap really sucks, don't it? Wink And people want to kick me in the nuts when I say how much I like carbed engines.
Back to top Go down
overblown
Legit
overblown

PostSubject: Re: Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro.   Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 7:36 pm

Carb engines are cool. I especially like carbs on motorcycles.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro.   Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 7:54 pm

I have thought about getting a Carb on mine.
Back to top Go down
bigbird94
Legit
bigbird94

PostSubject: Re: Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro.   Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 8:28 pm

I would love to be able to tune my car with a screwdriver.

Carbs ftw
Back to top Go down
HoosierDaddy
Legit

PostSubject: Re: Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro.   Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 8:37 pm

Carb > old style fuel inj
New style fuel inj > carb

/ thread
Back to top Go down
MikeyT
Legit
MikeyT

PostSubject: Re: Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro.   Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 9:07 pm

So what is the plan Kevin? Did the piece get shipped out today? Are you planning on ripping the old one out? Unfortunately this thing stuck in my head today and I logically thought about this a bit.

Ok here is what we know

Inconsistent firing causing drivability issues: fact

bad coil :fact

Optispark distributor a shitty set up :fact

Now, I have a few questions?

How many Distributors has this car eaten in the past year? I believe its is 2 or 3, maybe 4 now even if they are shitty that just is against the law of averages.

Now I'm not constantly seeing LT1 F bodies all over the place dieing and not running right.

My gut is telling me that the opti is more symptom then the real problem.

My two wooden nickels
Mike
Back to top Go down
Disgustang
Legit
Disgustang

PostSubject: Re: Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro.   Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 9:10 pm

Putting a carb on a LT1 give you the option to run a nice distributor but the intake is not good if your looking ot make big power. If you want to do that you need to mod a SBC intake to work. I agree with JD

carb>old efi
new efi >carb
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro.   Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 9:11 pm

Carb > lt1 fuel injection
Back to top Go down
bigbird94
Legit
bigbird94

PostSubject: Re: Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro.   Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 9:15 pm

My car did the exact same thing on optis 2 and 3. It was a more than frustrating situation. I checked every ignition component over and over only to lead it back to....that damn opti. Finaly got an AC delco and havent looked back.

Blackout, if you get a new part do you plan on doing this yourself?
Back to top Go down
HoosierDaddy
Legit

PostSubject: Re: Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro.   Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 9:19 pm

Opti and be done ... we checked everything else ...

The only thing that should be replaced next is rear tires ...

Wink
Back to top Go down
MikeyT
Legit
MikeyT

PostSubject: Re: Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro.   Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 9:21 pm

This was no shot at your work JD on the car, sorry if it came across that way, but man the rate of failure on those Opti's is almost unbelievable!

Mike
Back to top Go down
bigbird94
Legit
bigbird94

PostSubject: Re: Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro.   Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 9:24 pm

MikeyT wrote:
This was no shot at your work JD on the car, sorry if it came across that way, but man the rate of failure on Blackout's cars is almost unbelievable!

Mike
Fixed Laughing
Back to top Go down
HoosierDaddy
Legit

PostSubject: Re: Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro.   Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 9:26 pm

MikeyT wrote:
This was no shot at your work JD on the car, sorry if it came across that way, but man the rate of failure on those Opti's is almost unbelievable!

Mike

Not at all. I never even thought about it . And ya it is hard to believe the failure rate . It's like plastic surgery
Back to top Go down
LLcoolJames
Legit
LLcoolJames

PostSubject: Re: Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro.   Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 10:05 pm

I told you so
Back to top Go down
2jz-U-Ltr
Admin
2jz-U-Ltr

PostSubject: Re: Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro.   Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 10:16 pm

Finally!!
Back to top Go down
Fuckin Schiller!!
Legit
Fuckin Schiller!!

PostSubject: Re: Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro.   Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 10:52 pm

hahahaha yes!
Back to top Go down
Vanilla Gorilla
Legit

PostSubject: Re: Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro.   Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 11:32 pm

Peaches wrote:
240sxguy wrote:
Peaches wrote:
Where is James' I told you so post?

Nobodies fault but GM, that opti-spark is a huge piece of shit.

You make my points much better than I do Smile

Isn't the opti spark actually the one piece on those cars that was a Mitsubishi design, EVO's are the greatest thing since Duster's made sliced bread so that can't be your problem lol!
Back to top Go down
bigbird94
Legit
bigbird94

PostSubject: Re: Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro.   Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 11:36 pm

^ No sir, Mitsubishi only designed the optical sensor part of opti spark. The cap and rotor are typicly the parts that malfunction. They go bad mostly due to GM placing the opti in an area that is exposed to heat and moisture.
Back to top Go down
HoosierDaddy
Legit

PostSubject: Re: Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro.   Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 12:42 am

I think the optical sensor is what the problem is in this case
Back to top Go down
Overboosting
Admin
Overboosting

PostSubject: Re: Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro.   Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 12:49 am

Well looks like Mitsubishi got you fuckers good then
Back to top Go down
2jz-U-Ltr
Admin
2jz-U-Ltr

PostSubject: Re: Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro.   Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 1:03 am

Hahaha Stupid jap crap
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro.   Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 3:15 am

dude your sig geeks me the fuck out aHAHAH I LOLed twice now
Back to top Go down
XSFTLBS
Legit
XSFTLBS

PostSubject: Re: Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro.   Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 10:39 am

Okay, update.

The new Distributor arrived in SP today according to the tracking, so I should be able to hit this on Sunday. Yes, I'll be doing it myself. Since I already have a vent line setup, I'm going to seal the cap to the body to make sure it won't suck up water.

JD has been a HUGE help with this. If we hadn't done an opti replacement already, its a good chance I'd take forever to do this since i would have NO CLUE how to.

Its a good chance that either the bad coil or the bad harness took this accel opti out, but its also a good chance that the accel opti was a DOA POS right out of the box. I've gone over all the wiring, and after replacing the opti harness it all checked out. I have to hit the parts store today for another set of WP gaskets, silicone, some gasket adhesive and a coolant drain pan but otherwise i should be good to go. i picked up some extensions and some swivels at Sears last night too.

The biggest problem with the aftermarket style opti's is the LACK of the mitsu sensor. Apparently they are pretty good.... but the AM companies use inferior parts. Just to make things a bit easier, I'm pulling the radiator/shroud assembly straight out of the car..... that should give me enough room to do everything from the top, and not have to fuck around under the car at all. Keep your fingers crossed!
Back to top Go down
Petes71cam
Legit
Petes71cam

PostSubject: Re: Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro.   Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 10:53 am

good luck!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro.   Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 10:54 am

If it doesn't have the Mitsubishi sensor don't put it on your car.

THE ONLY OPTI SPARK TO GET IS AN AC DELCO
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro.   Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Needed. Good GM garage to diagnose the Camaro.
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next