Wisconsin Street and Track
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Subaru question

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
kthxbai
Legit

Subaru question Empty
PostSubject: Subaru question   Subaru question Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 2:32 pm

I didn't want to derail the EVO question thread so I made a new one for my question.

I'm curious ATM. But I will getting a new car for me about 4 years down the road. I'm more than likely going to get a new STI if Toyota doesn't come out with a comparable(Highly doub't they will). I don't feel like registering in the STI forums and asking the newb questions I have(since it will be 4 years down the road). You guys said that you have to tune each time you put a new mod on.

I want to do simple mods to the car... nothing outrageous. Intake, Exhaust, coilovers. New downpipe?

So how much ball park figure at the moment are you looking at for cost of intake, exhaust on the current generation with a tune? Will I need a whole new standalone EMS? I know little to nothing about Subaru but the fact that I <3 AWD and <3 the specific boxer engine sound. Oh and boost. win.

Can you guys answer my newb questions? Kthxbai! bounce
Back to top Go down
STiedVR4Guy
Legit
STiedVR4Guy

Subaru question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Subaru question   Subaru question Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 2:35 pm

If you get an AP you can do the DP and flash tune it.

CBE you can do w/o a tune. Intake you will most likely need to get it protuned.
Back to top Go down
240sxguy
Legit

Subaru question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Subaru question   Subaru question Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 3:05 pm

God only knows how much this stuff will cost in 4 years.

The good news is there should be lots of used parts available.
Back to top Go down
STiedVR4Guy
Legit
STiedVR4Guy

Subaru question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Subaru question   Subaru question Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 4:07 pm

kthxbai wrote:
So how much ball park figure at the moment are you looking at for cost of intake, exhaust on the current generation with a tune? Will I need a whole new standalone EMS? I know little to nothing about Subaru but the fact that I <3 AWD and <3 the specific boxer engine sound. Oh and boost. win.

Yea 4 years down the road its going to be a little hard to tell. I'll give you a ballpark. I have "stage 2" Turboback exhaust (dp and cb), I bought the dp new with a cat about $375, CBE I bought used @ $425, Intake used @ $150, Access port (IMHO) is a must for these cars they seem to be very picky, one or more of other owners might agree with me. I found one for $500 used. I installed tbe myself and flashed with the access port. Intake I waited until I took it down to P&L and just had them install it then dyno tune it right after. I also had them install a EBCS (electronic boost control solenoid). Bill from them was about $450 I think.

So everything added up came out to around $1900 give or take a few bucks.
Back to top Go down
kthxbai
Legit

Subaru question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Subaru question   Subaru question Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 4:14 pm

Cool thanks for the info!
Back to top Go down

Subaru question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Subaru question   Subaru question Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 6:29 pm

To add to the above you can do the same for a lot cheaper if you wish , 2 of the local STI guys had tried the cheap $300 ebay exhaust that includes a downpipe they both had good succes with them you wont lose any horsepower with them , the downside is their about as loud as they come (some include silencers which makes them fairly quiet ) and they dont always fit perfectly ,,,
another thing to keep in mind is there are several cobb maps that you can Download on the AP that are pretuned for different intakes should you choose to purchase one ,, all that's neccesary to make sure they are safe is to take your car out and do a couple logs with it and make sure there isnt any knock ,
Another option is to use what im using, ecuflash and some sort of logging software, the disadvantage is you cant do any map switching without your laptop and these maps need to be built by someone obviously an experienced tuner would be your best bet, but it would be cheaper if your going to get it dyno tuned anyway..
Back to top Go down
spyderToph

spyderToph

Subaru question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Subaru question   Subaru question Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 7:42 pm

Umm have you seen the new FT-86 G? 2400lbs. rear wheel drive, a spin off of the AE-86. subaru powered 2.0 turbo. its gonna be AWESOME! Nothing like a sexy RWD toyota with the sound and power of a subi boxter engine.... If you can afford it.

FT-86G
Back to top Go down

Subaru question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Subaru question   Subaru question Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 8:33 pm

$250 intake
$300 downpipe
$300 M2 Ebay Catback (it's really nice, not too loud, sounds great. Clint has one on his STI)

Go Open Source for the tune and start with an e-tune and then get dynotuned
$125 for the e-tune

I used to run the Cobb AP on my car but the Open Source tools are more efficient and more flexible. The Cobb makes it easier to switch maps but most people almost never switch maps. The Cobb OTS maps aren't very good. They knock like the stock tune. I would highly recommend a custom tune from a good tuner and log the car for safety. I really like Open Source and wouldn't go back to the AP, but I know people who like their AP a lot too (they probably don't do their own tuning hehe)

Also catbacks on the new STI (08+) are more expensive because of the dual exhaust but they have a nicer suspension platform to work with.

-Franz

Oh and check out the road race STI http://subaruroadracingteam.com/
Back to top Go down
kthxbai
Legit

Subaru question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Subaru question   Subaru question Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 9:24 pm

spyderToph wrote:
Umm have you seen the new FT-86 G? 2400lbs. rear wheel drive, a spin off of the AE-86. subaru powered 2.0 turbo. its gonna be AWESOME! Nothing like a sexy RWD toyota with the sound and power of a subi boxter engine.... If you can afford it.

FT-86G

Yeah the RWD part sucks though Sad I'm totally down for that but it's not AWD and it's not 4 door(I'm married.. there might be kids down that road.. scary I know).

Thanks for the info Franz!
Back to top Go down
spyderToph

spyderToph

Subaru question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Subaru question   Subaru question Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 9:33 pm

kthxbai wrote:
spyderToph wrote:

FT-86G

Yeah the RWD part sucks though Sad I'm totally down for that but it's not AWD and it's not 4 door(I'm married.. there might be kids down that road.. scary I know).

Thanks for the info Franz!

Bummer. Rear wheel drive is the only way to go. I would never buy different unless it was a winter vehcle. I've never owned front wheel and I never will. RWD is the only way to go.
Back to top Go down
kthxbai
Legit

Subaru question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Subaru question   Subaru question Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 10:11 am

Currently we would only have room for 2 vehicles so no go on 2 different cars for myself.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Subaru question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Subaru question   Subaru question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Subaru question
Page 1 of 1