Wisconsin Street and Track
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

intake manifold?

Go down 
+4
overblown
MikeyT
OJDAJUICEMAN
mile_high51
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
mile_high51
Legit
mile_high51

intake manifold? Empty
PostSubject: intake manifold?   intake manifold? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 2:16 pm

Anybody know of any deals or is anyone selling an aftermarket intake for my LS1?

I know I know, everyone has told me that a used LS6 is my best bang for the buck, but I kind of want an aftermarket look to it. But with matching performance obviously.

I don't necessarily need something polished, I just don't want that flat black plastic look. Also, I'm removing my AIR and EGR.

Any ideas?

A used FAST for around $500 would be awesome....lol i know I'm dreaming there though Sleep
Back to top Go down

intake manifold? Empty
PostSubject: Re: intake manifold?   intake manifold? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 2:59 pm

Fast is def the way to go...even if you have to save up a little longer. It's proven performance (and it looks tight as hell)
Back to top Go down
OJDAJUICEMAN
Legit
OJDAJUICEMAN

intake manifold? Empty
PostSubject: Re: intake manifold?   intake manifold? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 7:03 pm

what are your other mods? if your just changing the manifold, i would get the ls6.
Back to top Go down

intake manifold? Empty
PostSubject: Re: intake manifold?   intake manifold? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 7:16 pm

^ What he said. If the car doesn't have cam and heads no reason to go with FAST.
Back to top Go down

intake manifold? Empty
PostSubject: Re: intake manifold?   intake manifold? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 7:23 pm

Terminator wrote:
^ What he said. If the car doesn't have cam and heads no reason to go with FAST.

well i was going with the assumtion that as soon as you start modding a car...you dont stop (esp. with LS1's) soo i was really just looking out for him
Back to top Go down

intake manifold? Empty
PostSubject: Re: intake manifold?   intake manifold? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 7:24 pm

i didnt mean to quote you termi...sorry, wasnt directed at you
Back to top Go down
MikeyT
Legit
MikeyT

intake manifold? Empty
PostSubject: Re: intake manifold?   intake manifold? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 9:13 pm

Well for parts. I always check racingjunk.com. You can often find pretty good deals on their for race stuff.

Mike
Back to top Go down
mile_high51
Legit
mile_high51

intake manifold? Empty
PostSubject: Re: intake manifold?   intake manifold? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 10:48 pm

thanks guys!

this is killing me.
Back to top Go down
OJDAJUICEMAN
Legit
OJDAJUICEMAN

intake manifold? Empty
PostSubject: Re: intake manifold?   intake manifold? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 10:52 pm

im assuming your car is a 98-00? what are your other mods?
Back to top Go down
overblown
Legit
overblown

intake manifold? Empty
PostSubject: Re: intake manifold?   intake manifold? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 2:43 am

the fast is not worth the considerable increase in price. if you are going for absolute max hp you can find then it's still not worth it unless you get it ported (and ported right btw) along with a ported tb. That pushes the price up even further by quite a bit. If you are worried about looks, paint the LS6 or there are covers for it but they are said to hold heat. There are plenty of great painted/coated LS6 intakes out there that look great. Also, it would be a great time to do your injectors too. I would suggest SVO 30's because they are cheap and work great. I'm just assuming you're wanting the normal heads, cam, intake type of set up and basing all of this on that.
Back to top Go down
mile_high51
Legit
mile_high51

intake manifold? Empty
PostSubject: Re: intake manifold?   intake manifold? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 1:27 pm

just bolt ons, no plans of nitrous. And yes it's a bone stock 98.

I've recently become aware that you can paint the ls6 intake. I knew you could obviously but I figured it didn't last long before it looks like hell. Has anyone seen this done right to where it has lasted?

I was thinking that same thing overblown. Get an ls6 intake, paint it a nice metallic finish or something, and get some aftermarket fuel rails like the red ones professional products make. Otherwise just get the red top injectors your talking about.

I definnelty think I'm leaning towards that currently.

I do plan on doing heads/cam etc., but I'm just not sure when. I want to do 12 bolt rear end swap and tranny rebuild first (with stall converter), and we all know that's not the cheapest thing to do. it may be 2-3 years before I tear into the motor. For now i want cheap performance that looks good.
Back to top Go down

intake manifold? Empty
PostSubject: Re: intake manifold?   intake manifold? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 3:57 pm

well we should back this up a little....I know LS6 is the obvious choice with price and stuff (and i would def get the LS6 if you are on any type of budget) but before you even get into the intake...have you gotten the other bolt ons? (headers ect.)
Back to top Go down
mile_high51
Legit
mile_high51

intake manifold? Empty
PostSubject: Re: intake manifold?   intake manifold? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 5:06 pm

pacesetter headers and ory, borla catback, slp lid, smooth bellow, slp maf sensor, underdrive pulley, msd plug wires, and a k&n filter

these are all things that are already bought. and im planning on throwing it all on at once...

other things that are in the immediate plan are some new injectors (nothing too large, i like the ford SVO red top #30's), a walbro fuel pump, maybe some new coils...

Without getting into the bottom end, drivetrain, or heads/cam...all that's left is the damn intake/throttle body combo.

and quasar...what is it now? 9 hours?
Back to top Go down

intake manifold? Empty
PostSubject: Re: intake manifold?   intake manifold? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 5:52 pm

well its 8 now. But wow, i didnt know you already had all that stuff on the way, LS6 it is Smile
Back to top Go down
ma70tt
Legit
ma70tt

intake manifold? Empty
PostSubject: Re: intake manifold?   intake manifold? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 6:30 pm

go with the truck coils, they are the best bang for the buck, and as far as intake ls6 is the only way to go if you absolutely have to change it. i would search ls1tech.com for a corvette guy upgrading his ls6 and get his cam too. i researched the shit out of this for my build and in the end the ls6 is hands down the winner on many levels (price & performance top it). with the bolt ons you have listed an ls6 cam is all i would add to the list.
Back to top Go down
http://www.midwesthybrid.com
overblown
Legit
overblown

intake manifold? Empty
PostSubject: Re: intake manifold?   intake manifold? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 7:15 pm

I agree with all of that other than the LS6 cam. the rest is great advice in my opinion. get a real cam if you're going at it. comp has a new line built just for the ls motor that has given great results so far. It's called the LSr line. corvetteforum.com is also a good place to look for parts.
Back to top Go down
mile_high51
Legit
mile_high51

intake manifold? Empty
PostSubject: Re: intake manifold?   intake manifold? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 7:25 pm

i'll check it out, thanks for the advise guys.

so if i go with an ls6 intake, probably just a ported stock throttle body?

or do you have any other suggestions?
Back to top Go down

intake manifold? Empty
PostSubject: Re: intake manifold?   intake manifold? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 8:02 pm

+1 on what Overblown said. Get a real cam if you get one.
Back to top Go down
OJDAJUICEMAN
Legit
OJDAJUICEMAN

intake manifold? Empty
PostSubject: Re: intake manifold?   intake manifold? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 10:11 pm

a ported stock one will work fine. especially if u dont have heads cam. also i wouldnt replace coils if there is nothing wrong with them. but if u replace them, remember OEM is the way to go.
Back to top Go down
overblown
Legit
overblown

intake manifold? Empty
PostSubject: Re: intake manifold?   intake manifold? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 10:48 pm

just use your same throttle body. it's the same as the LS6. don't waste your money having it ported and don't try to do it yourself. sorry tye but they don't gain anything to speak of. the factory one is 78mm and you can't get it much bigger without changing the blade, again, just not worth it.
Back to top Go down
OJDAJUICEMAN
Legit
OJDAJUICEMAN

intake manifold? Empty
PostSubject: Re: intake manifold?   intake manifold? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 1:27 am

not even on a h/c/i car? porting the tb is more about smoothing the entry i thought.
Back to top Go down

intake manifold? Empty
PostSubject: Re: intake manifold?   intake manifold? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 1:35 am

subscribed...
Back to top Go down
overblown
Legit
overblown

intake manifold? Empty
PostSubject: Re: intake manifold?   intake manifold? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 12:34 pm

3vs197 wrote:
not even on a h/c/i car? porting the tb is more about smoothing the entry i thought.

nope. if you are going to really smooth the entry then the intake opening would have to become larger as well. putting a 80 or 90mm TB on an intake with only a 78mm opening won't cut it. that's why f.a.s.t sells things like the 90/90 combo. 90mm intake, 90mm TB. you'll feel nothing at all with your "butt dyno" with a stock ported TB and i've never seen anyone come up with a legit dyno gain of more than a few hp. some guys do claim an increase in throttle response. i've got a feeling it's more like how your car "revs better" after a fresh oil change. here is a great comparo with intakes and throttle bodies. the engine is an LS6 with a good size cam. http://tpis.com/index.php?module=2_17_06
Back to top Go down
OJDAJUICEMAN
Legit
OJDAJUICEMAN

intake manifold? Empty
PostSubject: Re: intake manifold?   intake manifold? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 12:15 am

thanks for the read, very good info. if i was doing heads cam i prolly would do a ported fast with a tb just to get max hp, cause im one of those crazy mofos who spend a g to get 15 extra hp lol. but i see what your saying about not really worth the money as a ls6 intake does a mighty fine job.
Back to top Go down
MikeyT
Legit
MikeyT

intake manifold? Empty
PostSubject: Re: intake manifold?   intake manifold? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 12:39 am

[quote="overblown"][quote="3vs197"]not even on a h/c/i car? porting the tb is more about smoothing the entry i thought.[/quote]

nope. if you are going to really smooth the entry then the intake opening would have to become larger as well. putting a 80 or 90mm TB on an intake with only a 78mm opening won't cut it. that's why f.a.s.t sells things like the 90/90 combo. 90mm intake, 90mm TB. you'll feel nothing at all with your "butt dyno" with a stock ported TB and i've never seen anyone come up with a legit dyno gain of more than a few hp. some guys do claim an increase in throttle response. i've got a feeling it's more like how your car "revs better" after a fresh oil change. here is a great comparo with intakes and throttle bodies. the engine is an LS6 with a good size cam. http://tpis.com/index.php?module=2_17_06[/quote]

The more and more I think about it, I would wait until I was able to get the Intake, heads, cam combo to your liking. Also I'm not trying to be a wet blanket, but how many miles does this engine have on it? I'm not a big component of just changing the top half of the engine if the short block is old. I've done it before and while you get performance gains, I always regreted it and went back and rebuilt the short block.

Yet if your determined to buy the LS6 intake. I think you could pick up some performance in match porting the LS6 intake to the heads. You can gain some HP by just smoothing out those intake runners. It can be done fairly easy.

Just my two wooden nickels

Mike
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

intake manifold? Empty
PostSubject: Re: intake manifold?   intake manifold? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

intake manifold?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next