Wisconsin Street and Track
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

machine shop

Go down 
+4
MikeyT
HoosierDaddy
LLcoolJames
Disgustang
8 posters
AuthorMessage

machine shop Empty
PostSubject: machine shop   machine shop Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2011 2:53 pm

I'm rebuilding a 350 to put in my truck.
my crank has got some wear scratching and grooves in it.

can anybody recommend a good shop to get it machined at or have a cheap one for sale?

its a '75 350 out of a truck. 4 bolt main and other good shit.
Back to top Go down
Disgustang
Legit
Disgustang

machine shop Empty
PostSubject: Re: machine shop   machine shop Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2011 3:12 pm

what is your budget for the total build and what is your intended use for the motor?
Back to top Go down

machine shop Empty
PostSubject: Re: machine shop   machine shop Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2011 3:20 pm

hoping less than $1100. and just probably haulin' ass and other shit like a lot of cars.

my 305 iv got now gets the job done but its tired and i got the entire engine for $200 bucks from a buddy with everything to get it running. but since its going in my D.D. i tore it apart to check everything and it needs rings, bearings, and other stuff. i can get most parts cheap through my work so thats no big problem. but the work like this im pretty lost on.

im going aiming for about 300 hp with my plans. iv got 305 heads that im getting ported through a conection i have for free. so higher compression. im also looking to get a mild cam. i figure if its already apart i might as well replace everything i can. like lifters, gaskets, bearings, rings, seals, and other good stuff.
Back to top Go down

machine shop Empty
PostSubject: Re: machine shop   machine shop Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2011 8:13 pm

You need a bigger budget. If you want to spend $1100, go buy the base GM 350 crate motor, its less that $2k, more that $1100, and will drop right in. Not 300 hp, but you'll have a new engine.
Back to top Go down

machine shop Empty
PostSubject: Re: machine shop   machine shop Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2011 8:19 pm

Ok. Well. Iv got most of the parts already. But I just need the machining. Anyways I got a good place 4 crank work.
Back to top Go down
Disgustang
Legit
Disgustang

machine shop Empty
PostSubject: Re: machine shop   machine shop Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2011 8:22 pm

i was going to say you can buy a cheap cast crank rod piston combo then throw a cam in it and have run.....

something like this

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SCA-1-92205-1/
Back to top Go down

machine shop Empty
PostSubject: Re: machine shop   machine shop Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2011 8:32 pm

That's pretty much what I was thinking but id get the rebuild kit with the pistons for $240. Then get new rods. Other wise I just need a cam kit. And iv got a good one in mind. Ill dyno it all and have it tuned when I'm done with it all.
Back to top Go down
LLcoolJames
Legit
LLcoolJames

machine shop Empty
PostSubject: Re: machine shop   machine shop Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 12:04 am

Polk Diesel Ground the crank and line bored and punched the block on the 289 ford im building for my friends dad. They did a really nice job.
Back to top Go down
HoosierDaddy
Legit

machine shop Empty
PostSubject: Re: machine shop   machine shop Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 1:02 am

^ finally someone with a legit answer to the question.

I've had good luck with pakes. In janesville
Back to top Go down
MikeyT
Legit
MikeyT

machine shop Empty
PostSubject: Re: machine shop   machine shop Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 1:44 am

Bailey does nice work and kilpatrick's in Waukesha is awesome too!
Mike
Back to top Go down
ma70tt
Legit
ma70tt

machine shop Empty
PostSubject: Re: machine shop   machine shop Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 8:55 am

jrc near columbus if ya want it done right on time and not over the quote. with that budget i woulda swapped it over to a 5.3 tho. then at leat you woulda had a chance of hitting 300 whp/that 350 will never do it even if ya dump 3 grand into it, i see it often.
Back to top Go down
http://www.midwesthybrid.com
Disgustang
Legit
Disgustang

machine shop Empty
PostSubject: Re: machine shop   machine shop Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 9:30 am

i don't think he is looking for 300Whp just 300 crank..... and a swap would be more then his budget. i was thinking rather then spending money to repair that crank he might as well buy a kit....
Back to top Go down

machine shop Empty
PostSubject: Re: machine shop   machine shop Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 7:55 pm

nightrunner06 wrote:
^ finally someone with a legit answer to the question.

I've had good luck with pakes. In janesville

Thats where i'm going. iv got a couple good recommendations from there.

im not super focused on a HP goal of 300. yes crank. but anyways ill build it and see what happens.

and i am technically doing a swap. a '94 305 out. a '75 350 in.
Back to top Go down
Overboosting
Admin
Overboosting

machine shop Empty
PostSubject: Re: machine shop   machine shop Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 10:16 pm

man why would you want to swap out that 305? thats the power house right there
Back to top Go down
OJDAJUICEMAN
Legit
OJDAJUICEMAN

machine shop Empty
PostSubject: Re: machine shop   machine shop Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 9:48 am

Quote :
Bailey does nice work

if your ok with him having your stuff for 17 years, yea its great.
Back to top Go down
HoosierDaddy
Legit

machine shop Empty
PostSubject: Re: machine shop   machine shop Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 9:55 am

3vs197 wrote:
Quote :
Bailey does nice work

if your ok with him having your stuff for 17 years, yea its great.

This. And the $ changes
Back to top Go down

machine shop Empty
PostSubject: Re: machine shop   machine shop Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 7:10 pm

Overboosting wrote:
man why would you want to swap out that 305? thats the power house right there

a lil hard to get over the internet without a smiley. but sarcasm? Suspect
Back to top Go down
ma70tt
Legit
ma70tt

machine shop Empty
PostSubject: Re: machine shop   machine shop Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 10:23 pm

5.3 long block $3-400
truck or van harness & computer $180
adapter mounts $50?
fluids $60
y pipe $?
truck accessories $200 at the most
plugs, wires... $100
hoses $40

i cant think of anything else, an the lowest power 5.3 i know of is 280 crank hp. that said rebuilding a 350 is just dumb you cant even rebuild the 350 for the total cost of the swap. dont get me wrong cuz i own quite a few vehicles powered by genI small blocks but if any of them take a crap theyre getting 4.8,5.3 or 6.0's
Back to top Go down
http://www.midwesthybrid.com
bigbird94
Legit
bigbird94

machine shop Empty
PostSubject: Re: machine shop   machine shop Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 11:51 pm

Back to top Go down

machine shop Empty
PostSubject: Re: machine shop   machine shop Icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 6:33 pm

yaaaa. but a carbed engine is a lil easier 2 work on for me and cleaner.
Back to top Go down
MikeyT
Legit
MikeyT

machine shop Empty
PostSubject: Re: machine shop   machine shop Icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 7:09 pm

Midwest engine does good work too. Talk with Wayne over there.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

machine shop Empty
PostSubject: Re: machine shop   machine shop Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

machine shop
Page 1 of 1